Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parthenaise V Limousine

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hello we have a small suckler farm. Mostly limousine and Simental cows. This year I am thinking of Using AI parthenaise Bulls. What are your thoughts on parthenaise cattle. are they turning out better shaped cattle than limousine. Are they making the money in the marts. Are they wild cattle.
    Thanks for reading or replying
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hello we have a small suckler farm. Mostly limousine and Simental cows. This year I am thinking of Using AI parthenaise Bulls. What are your thoughts on parthenaise cattle. are they turning out better shaped cattle than limousine. Are they making the money in the marts. Are they wild cattle.
    Thanks for reading or replying

Personally I would use limousin, charolais, or Blonde D. Had a few part here over the years and wasn't over impressed. Maybe I didn't use them on the tight type of cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Thanks for that . It's always hard to know what to cross in. Don't wan to down the blue road for calfing reasons. I like the limousine but I just thought the parthenaise might have more shape. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I dehorn calves for a lad thats switched from Lm to Parts, he seems very impressed and I have to say they're nice shapey calves when I see them.
    His cattle would have a bit of muscle to them too though as they're a mix of blues/lims, would be a small suckler set up like yourself, about 12 cows and in a byre. No problems calving them either & he got some nice prices for them last harvest, even brought the best one to Carrick Fatstock.

Thanks for that. That's what I thought. I bought a lim x parthenaise cross heifer last year and I have to say she has the best shape out all the Cattle we have. I think they would be half way ground to a blue without the calfing headaches and they would still make good cows as the are not over muscled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭Robson99

One thing I did notice we that they were harder to finish than the limousins

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. That is something i did not consider

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

The top ranked terminal bull on the new icbf list is a PT bull, EZC from sligo Ai.
    His calving difficulty is 5.5% at 67% reliability.

Thanks for that I never thought to look at sligo Ai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

tanko wrote: »
    The top ranked terminal bull on the new icbf list is a PT bull, EZC from sligo Ai.
    His calving difficulty is 5.5% at 67% reliability.

Sold a few weanling heifers of him a few weeks ago.
    Got 3.10 to 3.40 kg of lim cows.
    Would have kept them for cows but im changing farming system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Part cross well with BB.
    We tried a few and they were ok, nothing special. Off IRX.
    If your selling weanlings the colour can come against the Part too. We all know it shouldn't, and if they're good enough it won't make a bit of difference if they're striped like a zebra.
    But it's the bottom 50% of your calves that can suffer. I've seen the same here with Simx bulls.

Having said all that. Shur give them a go on a few cows and see how ya get on!
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Advertisement

Thats good prices. We sold Lim x 3 weeks ago and we got around €2.70/kg .

caseman wrote: »
    Sold a few weanling heifers of him a few weeks ago.
    Got 3.10 to 3.40 kg of lim cows.
    Would have kept them for cows but im changing farming system.

Any trouble calving them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

tanko wrote: »
    Any trouble calving them?

All calved unassisted and good lively calves.
    I'd say you'd need red lim cows to bring the correct colour, as said above the colour can put people of.

Part cross well with BB.
    We tried a few and they were ok, nothing special. Off IRX.
    If your selling weanlings the colour can come against the Part too. We all know it shouldn't, and if they're good enough it won't make a bit of difference if they're striped like a zebra.
    But it's the bottom 50% of your calves that can suffer. I've seen the same here with Simx bulls.

Having said all that. Shur give them a go on a few cows and see how ya get on!
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I have seen those Tiger marked Parthenaise crosses alright. I can see how it would go against them in the ring. I would say they should be fine out of Red Limx cows. I would say the strange colours are more likely to happen with Blue x or Black x lim, black white heads etc. Maybe i am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Have a 15month old Vulain Parth heifer.she is for the bull tomorrow.Was going to put HCA on her but seeing as he is gone,how would saler Rio cross on her do ye reckon?.Have some lovely Rio hiefers off Lims but have never crossed him with a Parth.Thanks

Have tried about 10 straws off Parths out of curiosity.Great cross off red lim cows but wouldn't be great sellers in the marts even though they were smashing animals.

Have a 15month old Vulain Parth heifer.she is for the bull tomorrow.Was going to put HCA on her but seeing as he is gone,how would saler Rio cross on her do ye reckon?.Have some lovely Rio hiefers off Lims but have never crossed him with a Parth.Thanks

Have tried about 10 straws off Parths out of curiosity.Great cross off red lim cows but wouldn't be great sellers in the marts even though they were smashing animals.

Have never used Rio but he might be a good option here. Is AHZ still available, ZAG is a fine looking bull with serious breeding behind him and only 4.7 % calving difficulty but maybe not suitable for young heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Would have loved to put HCA on her as have some fine heifer calves off him this year for replacements.Not many easy calving lims left anymore.Might throw Rio on her as shes young enough.Always throws nice calves anyway.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

From my experience they are a similar kind of beast. PT have a bit more muscle but are a bit finer boned. Great growth rate. Chance your arm and see how you get on. Life would be aweful boring if we did the same thing every time

From my experience they are a similar kind of beast. PT have a bit more muscle but are a bit finer boned. Great growth rate. Chance your arm and see how you get on. Life would be aweful boring if we did the same thing every time

That exactly what i thought with regards the Parthenaise. Keep them away from mixed coloured cows like Fr x Ch cross or blues and you should get a good colour. Everyone seems to thing they would be a very good cross with a Red Lim cow. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

There's a PB herd not too far from me. Some very impressive stock. I've noticed, to my mind anyway, two very distinct cow types within the breed. One compact and one almost elephantine in contrast.
    Anyone got an opinion on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

That exactly what i thought with regards the Parthenaise. Keep them away from mixed coloured cows like Fr x Ch cross or blues and you should get a good colour. Everyone seems to thing they would be a very good cross with a Red Lim cow. Thanks again
    We'd a yellow IRX heifer of a yellow CHX cow, lots thought she was CH, so your red LM should do similar. Sorry we sold her but musts need

Thanks for everyone's feed back . I am sold on parthenaise anyways

Advertisement