Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open water swim meet ups 2015

Options
  • 27-04-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I know there is the thread talking about water temps, thought might be an idea to start up a new thread for seeing if people want to arrange to meet up to go open water swimming.

I'll hopefuly be out this weekend, probably bull wall or portmarnock, no idea of tides but need to get into the water before Carlow so may as well be this weekend.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone around limerick/killaloe area interested give me a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hope to get in for a look at the Carlow swim route either Saturday or Sunday, if anyone fancies company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hoping to get in Sunday, probably Killiney or Seapoint for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

joey100 wrote: »
    I'll hopefuly be out this weekend, probably bull wall or portmarnock, no idea of tides but need to get into the water before Carlow so may as well be this weekend.

Tides are midday this weekend in Dublin. I'd be in Portmarnock most Sunday's midday but am away this weekend. If you cant find anyone then that day/time at High Rock there are almost always swimmers (hardy OW types, in togs)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Vincepl

South Coast Tri Club (Youghal) will be starting their Open water swimming sessions on Sunday at 9am at Claycastle beach. Marked out 750 m course and safety boat in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just posting in this on the off chance anyone fancied a dip at North Wall/Bull Island this evening around 7ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I am meeting a couple of others there (1st shelter) between 630 and 645.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Great, was hoping someone would come along and push the motivation to go that bit i needed ;-) Will PM you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Going to recce the Carlow swim course this evening at 20:00, if anyone is looking for company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The buoys are back in the water in Salthill Galway - Blackrock. I believe GTC and some of the OW swimmers in Galway got them setup yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Anyone know if it is still kosher to swim in Grand Canal Basin (Camden Lock -> Old Ocean Bar)?

Used to swim there, but heard they banned swimmers in recent times...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

anybody swimming in lakes around Dublin or everybody just go into the sea? Seems lakes could be at least a little bit warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    anybody swimming in lakes around Dublin or everybody just go into the sea? Seems lakes could be at least a little bit warmer.

I thought so too - but the opposite is apparently true.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I thought so too - but the opposite is apparently true.

Really? Irish sea is warmer then random lake? That just seems weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    Really? Irish sea is warmer then random lake? That just seems weird...

Indeed. Had I known I might not have chosen a lake swim as my first ow triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Indeed. Had I known I might not have chosen a lake swim as my first ow triathlon.

Currents.

I did my first open water swim yesterday in Athy. Nightmare (are we allowed curse on boards? I want to curse but I'm a fairly new poster). Nothing could have prepared me for the difference between open water and pool swimming. In the pool I do 1600m in 40 minutes (while my kids have their swim lesson) and it doesn't knock a feather out of me, barely get my pulse up. Yesterday I think it took me 20 minutes to get the 250m upstream and about 7 to get the 500m down! I've the triathlon on Saturday, have to sort out my breathing before then or I'm f*&$%d!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Planning swim in worlds end castleconnel tonight around 6.15 if anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Wicklow Harbour tonight from 18:30, if anyone wants company.

Note: White Rock beach Killiney is closed due to the presence of ecoli. Testing it again on Friday: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/newsevents/latestnews/title,11861,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Currently swimming in Seapoint, Dublin but had a run in with the boss who feels he'd rather I didn't die on company time (generally making an assumption that activity is unsafe so must stop people doing it) so the lunchtime swims may be out.

Can anyone suggest a couple of places on the east coast between Arklow and Dublin that I could make part of my commute, tides permitting?
    I haven't ventured further than Seapoint so a bit clueless about anywhere else

• Advertisement

Currently swimming in Seapoint, Dublin but had a run in with the boss who feels he'd rather I didn't die on company time (generally making an assumption that activity is unsafe so must stop people doing it) so the lunchtime swims may be out.

Can anyone suggest a couple of places on the east coast between Arklow and Dublin that I could make part of my commute, tides permitting?
    I haven't ventured further than Seapoint so a bit clueless about anywhere else

The best place is Wicklow Harbour- its the only spot along the East coast that isn't tide dependent, so you can get in any time at all. There's a big swimming community there so you'll get to meet others. Loops of the harbour for sighting practice, go outside the harbour for longer jaunts. Lifegaurd until 6pm too.

Gang of us from Tinahely Tri Club hitting Wicklow harbour at 19:30, hope to head outside the harbour too if anyone fancies a dip with company.

Has anyone actually hooked up with a posting on this thread?:D

Anyway, I'll be around Valentia island, Kerry, for the weekend; if anyone is around and free for a long swim the company would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

in cork in 3 weeks for a wedding, and a bit of a get away, any good spots round bantry for a dip..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

woody1 wrote: »
    in cork in 3 weeks for a wedding, and a bit of a get away, any good spots round bantry for a dip..

Glengarrif is only 20mins away from Bantry. Not sure if anyone will be around, but I have swam around Garanish Island there twice this year (well 3 laps !! ), and it's a lovely spot!! We did however have a support kajak with us the first time, and second time it was an event organised....Hopefully you will find someone. Maybe put something in the sandycove island swimmers facebook page and see if anyone will be around the area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Is there anywhere in Dublin that has buoys marking distance? Would be great to practice sighting too.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Advertisement