Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break in at rented house-who pays for repairs?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a landlord and my tenant called me to say somebody kicked the door in over weekend and entered the house. Rather bizarelly nothing was taken even though all their stuff was gone through.

I'm just wondering who is technically responsible for paying for repairs?

I've no problem doing so but just curious.

CHeers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I would say surely you. It's your property not theirs so the maintainence falls to you. I don't know for sure BTW just my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

did they call the guards? If not then why not ?

Your insurance should cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I would have thought it was the landlord that looked after this. This happened to me when I was in college, the place was ransacked too, the only thing they were looking for was money. The rent money that my flatmate and I had left out for the landlord and my flat mates coin jar were the only things they took.
    Landlord sorted out the back door that they had smashed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

As a tenant in my opinion I wud be responsible as its not general wear and tear , same if was my own home broken into LL shudnt have pay .
    If you are going do urself make sure you get police report seen lots "lose" keys and kick in door themself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Rather bizarelly nothing was taken even though all their stuff was gone through.
    Sounds like someone was looking for something specific. Ask them for the police report number, as you want to keep a record of it.

What sort of door was it? Maybe get a neighbour you know to have a look at the door if you're not around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Speaking as a landlord, I would expect to have to pay for it particularly as insurance should cover it.

Did you make a report to the Gardai - landlord will likely need that for his insurance claim? So if you haven't already, get down to the Garda station.

Also, and be honest...were any of you negligent - leaving a door unlocked, etc, etc. As they seemed to have to kick the door in, it looks like you didn't, but these are kind of questions the LL will ask

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Speaking as a landlord, I would expect to have to pay for it particularly as insurance should cover it.

Did you make a report to the Gardai - landlord will likely need that for his insurance claim? So if you haven't already, get down to the Garda station.

Also, and be honest...were any of you negligent - leaving a door unlocked, etc, etc. As they seemed to have to kick the door in, it looks like you didn't, but these are kind of questions the LL will ask

They called Gardai and made report. I live in otherside of country so am dealing with this through my agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    As a tenant in my opinion I wud be responsible as its not general wear and tear , same if was my own home broken into LL shudnt have pay .
    If you are going do urself make sure you get police report seen lots "lose" keys and kick in door themself ;)

Please don't use txt spk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

I'm not surprised they took nothing, all they want is cash so they don't have the hassle of selling stolen property.

Insurance should cover it, the tenants if they have it(but they could only have contents insurance) , or yours. If no insurance then it's not their property that was broken into they are only paying to live there your responsible for the property.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The landlord's insurance will cover it- however, for something like this- its entirely possible that the excess on the policy may be at a higher threshold than the cost of the job.

In the first instance- the break-in has to be reported to the Gardai- and a proper report made (which will result in the person making the report being given a Pulse Reference number).

The Landlord has to fix the door immediately- it is not something that can be long fingered.

I suspect that between the excess- and the possible increase in policy cost it may cost a landlord- that the landlord will probably have to pay for this him/herself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a LL, I would expect to have to stump up for the door repairs either paying myself or through my insurance. But remember then the cost of repairs or the insurance hike the following year is a tax deductible expense.

But, if any contents were taken, that's the tennants responsibility to have contents insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This happened with one of my tenants (absolute nightmare). After a bit of investigation with the neighbours it turned out that it was her boyfriend who forced his way into the house after an argument so I made her pay for it (though she denied it but funnily refused to report to the police). If it was a genuine break in then I would see it as an insurance claim (ie my responsibility).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If reported to the police its the landlords problem, if not its the tennant's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This happened with one of my tenants (absolute nightmare). After a bit of investigation with the neighbours it turned out that it was her boyfriend who forced his way into the house after an argument so I made her pay for it (though she denied it but funnily refused to report to the police). If it was a genuine break in then I would see it as an insurance claim (ie my responsibility).
    That's why I asked for a police report, I've seen stuff in the past like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Kc and pawwned have nailed it. Tenant responsible for their own content insurance. Landlord responsible for repairs to entry point of the property due to a break in.
    If the tenant broke the door themselves, then they can pony up the money themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

The landlord's insurance will cover it- however, for something like this- its entirely possible that the excess on the policy may be at a higher threshold than the cost of the job.

In the first instance- the break-in has to be reported to the Gardai- and a proper report made (which will result in the person making the report being given a Pulse Reference number).

The Landlord has to fix the door immediately- it is not something that can be long fingered.

I suspect that between the excess- and the possible increase in policy cost it may cost a landlord- that the landlord will probably have to pay for this him/herself.
    really??? the landlord insurance will cover repairs, but may not cover any stolen property belonging to the tenants.....most landlords have building cover,public liability but don't cover the tenants property.
    why would a LL be responsible for tenants stuff...let them get their own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Volvoair wrote: »
    really??? the landlord insurance will cover repairs, but may not cover any stolen property belonging to the tenants.....most landlords have building cover,public liability but don't cover the tenants property.
    why would a LL be responsible for tenants stuff...let them get their own policy.

Volvoair - the OP has already confirmed that nothing has been taken, so the contents are not considered in this claim, just the damage to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Thanks for all the replies.

Police report has been received.

I will pay for it.

Case closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement