Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splatter when frying

Options
  • 27-04-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

Any tips to keep splatter down when frying steak in beef dripping?

Or where can I buy a splatter guard/screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Got my splatter guard from a pound shop. Dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I've seen them going cheap in TK Maxx.

The other option is to use a non-stick or well-seasoned pan and less fat, or cook at a lower heat. If you baste as you fry you can still get a nice crust even at relatively low heat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Patting your meat dry with kitchen paper will reduce splatte, as will using less oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Most euro stores have splatters guards, and also the household sections of supermarkets are a good bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I put a sheet of tinfoil on the pan, tucking it in around the edges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How do you turn the steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Is this like a lid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I used a glass lid from a large sauteing pan that fits over my frying pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

you should get them in most €2 shops

Cheers boardsies - got one in the euro store

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How do you turn the steak?
    Is this like a lid?

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough - I tuck in around the inside of the pan, otherwise the condensation/splatter would run down onto the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Loire wrote: »
    I used a glass lid from a large sauteing pan that fits over my frying pan.

yeah, I do this too. Two chopsticks across the pan and a glass plate on top. You can watch and see how things are going along...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Putting a lid on the pan changes the frying process quite a bit - not good if you're looking for crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Putting a lid on the pan changes the frying process quite a bit - not good if you're looking for crispy.
    Was just about to post this.

Get yourself a splatter guard in a pound shop. Putting a lid over a frying pan is madness because your effectively turning your cooking process from conductive to convective. Frying turning to steaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I fry steaks in a thick based stainless steel saucepan. Most pans I have have non-stick surfaces, or rather had non-stick until people ruined them by having them too high a temp for the coating, usually while doing steaks.

I also like woks as they have a high side to catch spattering too.

Are you putting your fat in the pan or on the steak?

Rubbing it directly onto the meat should reduce splatter to almost zero.

Are you putting your fat in the pan or on the steak?

Rubbing it directly onto the meat should reduce splatter to almost zero.

When I used oil I oiled steaks

But now I am using beef dripping so I put it in the pan

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

+1 for this.

I do salmon with the tinfoil "lid", as I want the fry the skin and lightly steam the sides and top. But I don't want a steamed steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Or where can I buy a splatter guard/screen?[/quote]

Splatter screens can be found in dunnes, two etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Horses for courses, but when i fry steak I sear it on each side, then turn the heat right down and cook for a long time, so it's cooked but pink. Tastier too.

If your pan is splattering, that means there's liquid on it. A friend of mine who was a tramp for some time said he had a magic trick to get to the pan with all the hungry guys surging around it watching their own rasher: he'd wet the rasher and put it on and the pan would start splattering like crazy…

• Advertisement
Advertisement