Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apologies, another Health Insurance question

Options
  • 28-04-2015 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭

Although resident in Ireland, I work in NI and have myself, OH and all kids on a company health scheme.

OH is now asking me if there would be any need for her to take out her own standalone policy in Ireland, in case there might come a time when she isn't covered by mine?

She is 37 btw.

My logic? No. Since any extra now she will pay to basically have 2 policies active will amount to more than the extra she will have to pay as a penalty should she take out an Irish policy in maybe 5 or 10yrs time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

The loading you receive when you take out a plan in Ireland will be for every single year after as well, so if she's 47 when taking out a plan it'll be a 26% loading every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So she will pay 26% more on top of her premium if she was to take out a policy in say 2025.

To prevent this, she would need to take out a policy now costing maybe €500 - €1000 per year for next 10yrs (total €5k - €10k).

Think paying an extra 26% premium in 10yrs time sounds like the better option.

Advertisement