Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd this bush

Options
  • 28-04-2015 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what this bush is and the best way of getting rid of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Am not an expert, but it looks like a laurel (prunus)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Looks like Grisellinia Hedging to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

No I dont think so. Its the kind of crap plant they would plant in Irish gardens 30/40 years ago. It doesnt look nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Looks like Grisellinia Hedging to me

Thats it thanks. Any idea how deep the roots go? I was thinking of cutting it down to waist height and trying to dig it out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Tough root to remove, pick and lever bar would certainly be handy. Doable but root can be wide and deep, but with good access makes it easier.

Important to remove all root (regenerates).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree the griselinia makes a fairly boring looking hedge. I have seen examples allowed grow into small trees and they look far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

irishguy wrote: »
    Thats it thanks. Any idea how deep the roots go? I was thinking of cutting it down to waist height and trying to dig it out after that.

Good luck with that. I tried, and gave up two broken forks and a shovel later!
    In the end I cut them down to ground level and drilled holes in the trunk and poured neat roundup in the holes to finish them off. I'm hoping in a few years they will have rotted in the ground enough to dig up more successfully.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Griselinia is good when you don't want a mini manicured kind of hedge. The leaves don't look their best when hacked in half by a hedge cutter!

Saying that, you have to be dedicated to maintaining it as a hedge, it has the tendency to grow into a tree if you ignore it for a year or two.

I'm in the process of removing a 20 year old specimen this year, a huge monster with a trunk circumference of 35 inches. (No Griselinia should ever have a "trunk"!)
    In its defence, I will say that in its day it provided shelter for hundreds of sparrows and blue tits in its upper tree-like foliage.

Let's just say I'm not looking forward to removing its roots this year. :eek:

Advertisement