Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very soft muslin squares

Options
  • 28-04-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the softest Muslin squares they have come across? Also looking for them to wash well. I have the IKEA ones and they are a great size and price but in the last week my baby's head has a red mark on the back of it where she lies on the cloth. She tends to move her head quickly which rubs the cloth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I remember getting ones from Pumpkin Patch as a gift and they were very soft, and big! They washed well and were def softer than ones from Ikea, Dunnes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Mother care good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Aldi are the softest I've used!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

bp wrote: »
    Mother care good too

I found the mothercare ones quite rough - though they may have different ones.

I find the M&S ones are really soft. As someone mentioned the aldi ones are also nice but you can't get them all the time (only when the baby event is on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Another Aldi one here, softener and tumbledry and they are gorgeously soft. Found tescos horrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

More thumbs up for the aldi ones, 6 months in & they've stayed lovely & soft. I got some extra large ones in the baby event last year & used them for swaddling for the first few weeks, they were perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Mothercare ones are awful - do not get those. Like sand paper.

The best of the best are Aden and Anais. So so so so so soft. No other muslin compares. They are expensive but they are just so unbelievably soft and no other brand I found were as soft. They are the only ones I use now and still look good as new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

I second M&S. Have mothercare (very rough) and Dunnes one (rough-ish). M&S wash really well and are nice and soft still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ok, by far the best thing I ever got was something from my mum. She routed out old greenhills terry towling nappies when I had my son. Apparently they were brand new and left over from me as a baby. I think they were quite expensive in the day but you can still buy them still in mothercare etc. They are infinitely more absorbant than muslin, they're really soft to the skin, they wash immaculately and dry in minutes. Trust me, buy yourself a few and you'll never look back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tesco are the softest that we have found and they have lasted so well.
    We still have some from the 1st 6 years ago and 3 of them had reflux and they are still very usable and so soft.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Tesco are the softest that we have found and they have lasted so well.
    We still have some from the 1st 6 years ago and 3 of them had reflux and they are still very usable and so soft.

I got given tesco ones in January and they were so harsh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I got given tesco ones in January and they were so harsh?!

Hate the tesco ones too. They are so hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I also used to put a Muslin down where my son was lying in his Moses or crib as he used to spit up a bit when he lay down or fell asleep which would wet the fitted sheet over the mattress. We tried a few Muslins including mothercare and tesco etc and they ALWAYS gave him a red rash on the side of his face or back of his head. So I just started putting a little folded pillow case (Folded in a narrow rectangle so it would only go from say his shoulders to the top of his head And tucked into the sides of mattress) down under his head instead. So much softer than any Muslins for that sort of thing and he never ever had that rash after we started using the pillow cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Sligo1 wrote:
    I also used to put a Muslin down where my son was lying in his Moses or crib as he used to spit up a bit when he lay down or fell asleep which would wet the fitted sheet over the mattress. We tried a few Muslins including mothercare and tesco etc and they ALWAYS gave him a red rash on the side of his face or back of his head. So I just started putting a little folded pillow case (Folded in a narrow rectangle so it would only go from say his shoulders to the top of his head And tucked into the sides of mattress) down under his head instead. So much softer than any Muslins for that sort of thing and he never ever had that rash after we started using the pillow cases.

Thanks a mill for this. Sound exactly like what my baby has. I've temporarily switched to using a crib sheet for her to lie on while I feed her in our bed to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks everybody else. Lots of different opinions but the Aldi ones are mentioned a lot. I'll pick up a few at the next baby event and might switch to pillow cases in the mean time. Interesting too about the nappy cloth. I'll check it out too but pillow cases might be the cheapest as I have those. Never thought of using them and they even use them as sheets in the hospital in the cribs. Duh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Mothercare terry cloths (used for terry nappies usually) amazing. Never went back to a muslin cloth after using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I just realized that my advice is two years out of date! My mother care ones from two years ago are now being used for the new baby. My old Tesco ones are no use. Sorry forgot how old they were!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe the tesco ones have changed they were way softer then the Ikea ones.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maybe the tesco ones have changed they were way softer then the Ikea ones.

Haven't tried the ikea ones myself but the tesco ones I was given were more like rough loose woven linen than soft muslin!

Just to say I was in aldi yesterday and they actually have some Muslins reduced at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tillyjane

Another aldi fan here :) ours are year and half old andvstill use them for wipingbhis face as hes allergic to wipes and they have really nice prints too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement