Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Strike (read warning in post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Public or private, commuter services have always been a pain and expensive and very unreliable in this country, hence why i drive everywhere.

I live in swords and used think the same
    now when I work in Dublin city centre I take swords express

If I am working in Belfast city centre which I do regularly I use aircoach, my oh drops me down to the airport and instead of a stressful drive I grab a coffee and enjoy a nice trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Stheno wrote: »
    Or realise that the world is changing and nothing is guaranteed
    I took a 30% pay cut to get a job in 2011 and four years later have recouped that and more through upskilling and understanding the demand for skills in my area
    or even better, fight for what you have got

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gbob wrote: »
    Read the report I posted above regarding the privatisation of public transport.

Read my real life experiences of using private versus semi state transport services

or even better, fight for what you have got

My contract ended I had to do find a new job and start anew

Like lots of drivers might need to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

TBH after the Aer Lingus/ Dublin Airport injunction I'd say the unions have done their homework on this one to make sure they don't get caught out.

This has been in the offing since Donohue made his "unprecedented" intervention, I posted at the time that he was trying to get the industrial relations aspects boxed off, I thought they may have gone for an injunction, its odd to go looking for compensation if you consider the strike to be illegal why didn't they try and stop it rather than wait for it to start and then try and hammer the unions for money. Anyway hopefully you are right, can't see Jack letting the Siptu lads go ahead unless he was fairly sure it would stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Aircoach is a direct contradiction of most of this.

Their service from Dublin airport to Belfast is cheaper than be, runs more often, is more accurate than be, staff are more pleasant too

Dunno about pay or subcention but in the couple of years I've been using it it a been the same courteous staff

In the five years I used the 41x I never had a bus driver acknowledge I was a regular

On swords express they'll say hello and know where you are going and don't sit in a cage

I'm actually delighted that the likes of Aircoach and Swords Express have found a gap in the market and providing a quality service, they've forced us to improve and refine what we offer. But that's not the core issue here, its the treatment of existing staff, and protecting what they have. Nobody wants a reduction in their standards, us included.

How can any other company come along and say they can do "x" routes at a great service for and better cost than DB if they never done it before ?

I can see it happening if the tender was got by a private guy, would quote great to the NTA and they will swallow it up only for the lads to find they haven't a bog on how to run a bus service as opposed to CIE who have been doing it for donkeys now

Is that not exactly what swords express have done?

Jayziz shhhhhh. Dinny might be reading this thread, smacking his lips and writing up his tenders as we speak!

The Dinny Bus might just be coming to a route near you...well he owns practically everything else in this country, so why not try for the transport option!

Siteserve probably have a newly isle of Mann registered sub division that does bus routes, if only he had some connections to see his bid was there till the end.

hmmm wrote: »
    LUAS works great. Aircoach was a breath of fresh air when it started, nice buses, pleasant drivers. I get the St. Kevins coach regularly (private) and it's great. What are you talking about?
    luas works because of the RPA. or has it transfered to the NTA now? aircoach and others have competition from BE and other operators. if they were the only ones operating the route, who knows whether things would be as they are. nothing stopping operators for applying for commercial licences to operate routes along side dublin bus. with the tendering however, there doesn't seem to be anything that can be brought to the table by the companies.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

if they were the only ones operating the route, who knows whether things would be as they are
    And again you have to be told that the NTA will set the standards that the operators will be required to meet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

My contract ended I had to do find a new job and start anew

Like lots of drivers might need to
    So you lost your job and think everyone else should too. Great.

I'm self employed and in 26 years of being employed and having had over 15 jobs I've never needed a union
    Self-employed guy doesn't need union... is there a point to this?

Their service from Dublin airport to Belfast is cheaper than be, runs more often, is more accurate than be, staff are more pleasant too
    Dunno about pay or subcention but in the couple of years I've been using it it a been the same courteous staff

aircoach receives no subvention. bus eireann's belfast route i believe is expressway so receives no subsidy. it has competition. the tendered routes are mostly loss making routes that are unlikely to have other operators operating along it
    In the five years I used the 41x I never had a bus driver acknowledge I was a regular

why does that matter though? i've had 1 or 2 who would recognize me, but mostly they don't. i don't care.
    On swords express they'll say hello and know where you are going and don't sit in a cage

your dig about sitting in a cage is actually uncalled for. you are aware why dublin bus drivers require such protection? its great aircoach drivers don't, but if they tendered for some of the dublin bus routes for example and won, they might do so.

The purpose of unions is to cosset workers. Like the unions who object to workers losing their half hour for bank time despite getting paid electronically.

If you don't like your working conditions then do something to improve yourself and get a better job
    or even better, get improvements in your current job for all

gbob wrote: »
    I'm actually delighted that the likes of Aircoach and Swords Express have found a gap in the market and providing a quality service, they've forced us to improve and refine what we offer. But that's not the core issue here, its the treatment of existing staff, and protecting what they have. Nobody wants a reduction in their standards, us included.

My point though is that swords express massively expanded their services unlike db expresso

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Self-employed guy doesn't need union... is there a point to this?

I'm self employed less than a year all other years I was a regular employee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So you lost your job and think everyone else should too. Great.

Brilliant missing of the point.

And again you have to be told that the NTA will set the standards that the operators will be required to meet.
    meaning the companies have nothing to offer from what i can see. for me there is no point to this tendering. we won't get multiple opperators. we would get everything the NTA want with dublin bus.

I'm self employed less than a year all other years I was a regular employee
    You had 15 jobs in 26 years and you never needed a union... sounds like you did to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Is that not exactly what swords express have done?

As you said yourself, at the beginning it was a limited service

It took them time to find their feet and get going aswell as grow more in terms of times and fleet and staff.

Unfortunately when you go into the public routes where all services have to run or else there are fines as there is little or no room for error. So if they get a route and don't run it correctly at the start then they will face fines or even face losing routes if they don't respond quick enough.

It's different when it's their own non pso route where they can do as they wish but with pso obligations.

So to answer that remark, yes they will struggle at the start

Brilliant missing of the point.
    Brilliant saying nothing.

If you don't like your working conditions then do something to improve yourself and get a better job

And if you do like your working conditions then do something to protect them.

My point though is that swords express massively expanded their services unlike db expresso
    maybe dublin bus weren't allowed to expand such an offering

Brilliant saying nothing.

Brilliant discussion skills you have. I guess unions are needed for some who cant update or upskill and are terrified of change.

aircoach receives no subvention. bus eireann's belfast route i believe is expressway so receives no subsidy. it has competition. the tendered routes are mostly loss making routes that are unlikely to have other operators operating along it

why does that matter though? i've had 1 or 2 who would recognize me, but mostly they don't. i don't care.

your dig about sitting in a cage is actually uncalled for. you are aware why dublin bus drivers require such protection? its great aircoach drivers don't, but if they tendered for some of the dublin bus routes for example and won, they might do so.

In relation to service it's nice to see a friendly face
    in relation to sittin in a cage swords express drivers don't db drivers on the same route to get to my house do and can be quite abusive

I understand they need it on some routes but do believe it is unhelpful on others

• Advertisement

Brilliant discussion skills you have. I guess unions are needed for some who cant update or upskill and are terrified of change.
    I'm not in any union.
    Aw, and you though you had an angle there. Nope.

maybe dublin bus weren't allowed to expand such an offering

Maybe Dublin bus didn't take multiple feedback as I was told at the time as being useful and a competitor took advantage?

I'm not in any union.
    Aw, and you though you had an angle there. Nope.

No I was just saying in general that some people mightnt be able to do anything else so if they loose this its dole. Some people can upskill and be good at other things. Maybe certain drivers cant so rabidly want protection.

Thread aint about you bbz xoxox

In relation to service it's nice to see a friendly face
    in relation to sittin in a cage swords express drivers don't db drivers on the same route to get to my house do and can be quite abusive

I understand they need it on some routes but do believe it is unhelpful on others
    well, the dublin bus drivers do need it whether they need it or not. for the simple reason, its much easier to have a common fleet of busses incase a bus which would usually do one of the routes that need such protection needs to do one of the routes that you believe don't need the protection.

You had 15 jobs in 26 years and you never needed a union... sounds like you did to me.

Every time I moved added a few grand to my salary tbh

I'm now in a position where I charge for hours worked, the lots of free time and for the most part choose what work I want to do?

• Advertisement

Maybe Dublin bus didn't take multiple feedback as I was told at the time as being useful and a competitor took advantage?
    or maybe they weren't allowed to expand the express routes.

Thread aint about you bbz xoxox
    Several minutes after...
    Brilliant discussion skills you have.
    LOL.

As you said yourself, at the beginning it was a limited service

It took them time to find their feet and get going aswell as grow more in terms of times and fleet and staff.

Unfortunately when you go into the public routes where all services have to run or else there are fines as there is little or no room for error. So if they get a route and don't run it correctly at the start then they will face fines or even face losing routes if they don't respond quick enough.

It's different when it's their own non pso route where they can do as they wish but with pso obligations.

So to answer that remark, yes they will struggle at the start

The 41x has been running for years, they asked for suggestions on improving it, didn't bother

Swords express improved

A real example of private operator adapting and public not

I'm now in a position where I charge for hours worked, the lots of free time and for the most part choose what work I want to do?
    Ah yeah but if you were in a union youd have had one job with a wage less than what you get now after you progression. Sure who wants to earn extra k's when ya can stay still not progressing.

And did you ever stop to think why they sit in a cage ? Do you think they like it or have you ever had someone try to stab you with a syringe ? Or try and beat you over the head with an iron bar ?

I will let you in on a little secret, the model the NTA are introducing will if anything make all those things you complain of worse, you see the companies will be paid on a km driven basis so if you get on the bus or don't makes no difference they get paid the same amount anyway, innovation, there won't be any because that is not what they are paid for, all of that is the NTA ( who are the dreaded public servants)
    They will bid on a service level the NTA wants, that's it pay dont pay, go dont go, they will have to meet service level targets just as DB does, but you won't really be their customer, unlike DB who depend on customer fares to keep going.

I know nothing about Swords Express and very little about DB, I do know that we are stifled by the governments desire for privatisation and have been since Seamus Brennan was transport minister, they are blinkered to the real evidence from many international studies on it and are determined to force the transport sector into a minimum wage service. I'd encourage all to educate themselves to the true cost to the public of this action and realise the travelling public is so obviously not their priority.

Why do you keep trying to spin this line? The competition occurs at the tendering stage. If DB feels it can offer a service that meets the NTA specification for cleanliness, punctuality etc., and can do so at the lowest cost, they will win the contract.

And if the NTA are not happy with the service provided, they can withdraw the contract. Where's the downside for commuters?
    so its not about competition then, but who can do it for the cheepist. grand, glad we've got that sorted then. what if later on the NTA decide that some of the specifications aren't needed as they want to cut more costs? none of that is competition to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Any how 40million to cover just 10% of routes in wages .
    Does anybody else think it's fairly inflated cost for just 10% of the routes .
    Surely the unions have to take some of the blame for the high Wage bill .
    We're not even getting a quality service a lot of the time .
    if airlines and so on can have found a way to reduce costs and over heads with new contracts surely the same can apply to db services .
    10 % could loose there jobs and might very well have to seek employment with a private operator surely it's a good thing having a 40 million + savings is better for the good of the other 90% .
    Or do the union's keep demanding zero cuts ,zero lay offs .
    We want more .
    Then in a few years the company implodes due to unrealistic wage demands financial benefits

Come off of it - it's running a bus service, not launching missions to Mars (although incidentally a private company is leading NASA on this one).
    running a bus service, specially one with a lot of loss making routes, costs money.

Greedy and selfish, I believe looking for extra money is called .

• Advertisement

The 41x has been running for years, they asked for suggestions on improving it, didn't bother

Swords express improved

the private operator has the freedom to do as it wishes. the public operator probably would have implemented the changes but maybe didn't get approval from the department, or maybe the NTA was up and running when you made your suggestions. i can't say, but don't just take it for granted that dublin bus had a say in the matter, they may not have

cdebru wrote: »
    Greedy and selfish, I believe looking for extra money is called .

Theres a difference when your actually improving yourself and finding jobs that yield the requisite pay increase however not bettering yourself, being terrified of competition and still demanding increases is ridiculous.

Nice try turning phrases against me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Swords express improved

because dublin bus have to answer to the NTA,

the same NTA that for ages wouldn't allow them to use the port tunnel on the express to swords as opposed to swords express who can do as they wish because they have nobody to answer to.

So the issue there is with the NTA , not dublin bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Probably been answered already, but why didn't the drivers operate their routes as normal but just decline to take fares off passengers? would hurt DB/NTA, but not the passengers who depend on the service and who have got nothing to do with the dispute.

Gatling wrote: »
    if airlines and so can have found a way to reduce costs and over heads with new contracts surely the same can apply to db services .
    10 % could loose there jobs and might very well have to seek employment with a private operator surely it's a good thing having a 40 million + savings is better for the good of the other 90% .
    We want more .
    Then in a few years the company implodes due to unrealistic wage demands financial benefits

€ 40 m is the combined cost for both companies which would include redundancies, wages etc etc as well as other costs, when you start spreading it amongst 4 or 500 people €40m wouldn't go very far.
    Keep twisting though

Gatling wrote: »
    if airlines and so on can have found a way to reduce costs and over heads with new contracts surely the same can apply to db services .
    We want more .

I was wonderwondering about that figure too
    ten per cent of drivers at two thousand drivers is two hundred

Forty million implies payouts of that amount

Theres a difference when your actually improving yourself and finding jobs that yield the requisite pay increase however not bettering yourself, being terrified of competition and still demanding increases is ridiculous.

Nice try turning phrases against me.

But no one in DB is looking for a pay increase right now so how are they greedy again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

cdebru wrote: »
    € 40 m is the combined cost for both companies which would include redundancies, wages etc etc as well as other costs, when you start spreading it amongst 4 or 500 people €40m wouldn't go very far.
    Keep twisting though

Not twisting anything I've been asking questions on certain issue's.

I was wonderwondering about that figure too
    ten per cent of drivers at two thousand drivers is two hundred

Forty million implies payouts of that amount

3300 people in DB 1700 in BE so 5000 people, 10% is 500 people the figure is a combined figure for both companies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Probably been answered already, but why didn't the drivers operate their routes as normal but just decline to take fares off passengers? would hurt DB/NTA, but not the passengers who depend on the service and who have got nothing to do with the dispute.

- legal difficulties for the unions so they could not do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement