Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Crashes on M7 - causing huge delays

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

What with the almost daily crashes on the M7 especially at the M9 merge. You are almost guaranteed a crash there 3/4 days a week every week.

Pity the gardai don't place half a dozen unmarked cars on that stretch for a couple of weeks and pull over and give points to all the eejits tailgaiting and jumping lanes.

Maybe then those morans will learn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

Ive suggested to the gardai on twitter before that shooting on sight would be a good idea, they didnt like that though, thought it was a bit over the top.

Maybe the RSA should have a campaign for " if you have a crash, clear the road"

dont be getting out with the picnic and have a nap in the overtaking lane while you wait for the traffic to back up to Portlaoise.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

rameire wrote: »
    Ive suggested to the gardai on twitter before that shooting on sight would be a good idea, they didnt like that though, thought it was a bit over the top..

EXCELLENT idea! :)
    rameire wrote: »

dont be getting out with the picnic and have a nap in the overtaking lane while you wait for the traffic to back up to Portlaoise.
    I did see a family having a picnic on side of M8 in Cork last summer - basket, blanket etc, all spread out! - Rang the Gardai, they said it was so unbelieveable that they'd come after me if it was a joke (she was joking!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

delahuntv wrote: »
    EXCELLENT idea! :)

I did see a family having a picnic on side of M8 in Cork last summer - basket, blanket etc, all spread out! - Rang the Gardai, they said it was so unbelieveable that they'd come after me if it was a joke (she was joking!)

Maybe they took this Suede song to heart::D

http://www.metrolyrics.com/picnic-by-the-motorway-lyrics-suede.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

delahuntv wrote: »
    What with the almost daily crashes on the M7 especially at the M9 merge. You are almost guaranteed a crash there 3/4 days a week every week.

Pity the gardai don't place half a dozen unmarked cars on that stretch for a couple of weeks and pull over and give points to all the eejits tailgaiting and jumping lanes.

Maybe then those morans will learn.

I passed both "accidents" this morning. 2 hours to get to Dublin. First one was before M7/M9 merge. Rear end tap, and both car plus van decided it was a good idea to park on the grass verge beside the overtaking lane.

The second one after the M9 had the guards at it. Driver of UPC van (did'nt see anyone else) parked again on grass verge beside overtaking lane. Marked cop car on hard shoulder, 2 guards on grass verge with driver.

The biggest issue is junction 10, the Naas exit before the ball. A lot of traffic exits for the industrial estates etc, but the roundabout is so small that cars cannot exit quickly, leading to a cue back on the motorway. Now couple that with the Irish method of driving all the way on overtaking lane and at the last moment, slam on and dive across to your exit, you have a receipe for accidents. Either a driver in cue jumps back out into 100kmph traffic or a last minute move causes everyone to red light.

Tailgating near that exit is common, as the next entrance is blind and on a bend and always busy. So everyone sticks to the right, including the slow ones. Then add the people who slow down climbing the hill approaching Naas causing a slowdown, and of course the brakers when they see the sun as they approach the ball. Did I mention the lane hoggers on the 3 lanes from Naas to Dublin yet !

There is a council plan to move that exit away from that roundabout and further in to the left. It may be moving way back in the direction of toughers on old N7. There is room there beside Merlin Auctions. But, it is part of a Naas inner relief road, so bringing more traffic to the location. The plan is dated June 2013 but I saw a map in planning section of local paper only a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

There was a collision on that road on Monday as well. The two lanes motorway between the M7/M9 exit and Naas should be 3 lanes. Easier said than done but in recent times the left lane is packed with trucks and even the odd fella pulling a little trailer. This pushes cars and anyone who wants to travel faster than 70kmph into the overtaking lane. I don't agree with speeding but driving too slow can be equally dangerous, ie someone doing 60 or 70kmph on a motorway.

I always try to move into the overtaking lane if traffic is joining the road from a junction. I also find that it can be lethal trying to merge onto the M7 from the M9 because some drivers are unwilling to let cars in. They deliberately speed up and stay in the left hand lane even if the overtaking lane is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Emme wrote: »
    There was a collision on that road on Monday as well. The two lanes motorway between the M7/M9 exit and Naas should be 3 lanes. Easier said than done but in recent times the left lane is packed with trucks and even the odd fella pulling a little trailer. This pushes cars and anyone who wants to travel faster than 70kmph into the overtaking lane. I don't agree with speeding but driving too slow can be equally dangerous, ie someone doing 60 or 70kmph on a motorway.

I always try to move into the overtaking lane if traffic is joining the road from a junction. I also find that it can be lethal trying to merge onto the M7 from the M9 because some drivers are unwilling to let cars in. They deliberately speed up and stay in the left hand lane even if the overtaking lane is clear.

There are plans to make it 3 lanes both sides to M9 - planning has been granted, but its awaiting funding of €110m.

I think €30m has been raised from Kildare CoCo & Kerry Group.

Election next year - you might see funding coming :)

It still won't stop the amount of tailgaiting and undertaking that takes place particularly from Newbridge. - For some reason the need/urge to act like an eejit takes hold of drivers at Newbridge! (usually with Cork regs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

N/M7 drivers have always been as bad as M50.N/M4/6 is a breath of fresh air by comparison .Outside lane hoggers ...flogging's too good for them !Undertaking wouldn't happen but for them .

Advertisement