Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Octet IP

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Has anyone ever seen a 3 Octet IP before??

I was telnetting onto a remote router for a customer when I mis-typed the IP -- using only 3 octets -- but I got connected to some type of Huawei Module.

Whats worse is I was able to log in using root/admin!!!

I didn't pay much attention in college but I'm fully aware IPv4 addresses are 32bit. Are these some type of government used IPs??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen this behaviour too using PING, and I don't know whether it's by design or accident. It happens on both Windows and Linux though which suggests it's maybe deliberate.

What seems to happen is that the address gets filled with 0's to fill it to 4 bytes, so even just typing 1 digit, say 1, will expand to 0.0.0.1.

Typing 192.1 will expand to 192.0.0.1, and 192.168.1 to 192.168.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Alun wrote: »
    I've seen this behaviour too using PING, and I don't know whether it's by design or accident. It happens on both Windows and Linux though which suggests it's maybe deliberate.

What seems to happen is that the address gets filled with 0's to fill it to 4 bytes, so even just typing 1 digit, say 1, will expand to 0.0.0.1.

Typing 192.1 will expand to 192.0.0.1, and 192.168.1 to 192.168.0.1

yes that would make sense...its the first time ive come across it

Advertisement