Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm System for 6 months

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice here. I have just moved into a house that I intend on selling in next 6 months. I really need an alarm for the house but all the monitoring options like phonewatch and securigard are offering only 12 month contracts and they are working out 800-1000 euro. Is there a cheaper option or 6 month option or can I bring the alarm system with me when I move. Don't really want to be forking out for an expensive alarm for 6 months and I lose it with the house. I am also interested in the alarms that work off the wifi. How much are these roughly and are they easy to install? Any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could get a wireless system like GSD, Siemens or Risco that would give you free access via apps etc without getting into monitoring contracts. I'm sure if you explain your situation re monitoring to your installer they would arrange 6 months monitoring no problem. I wouldn't see any problem with it.
    You could also have the option down the line of transferring the account to another address if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

KoolKid wrote: »
    You could get a wireless system like GSD, Siemens or Risco that would give you free access via apps etc without getting into monitoring contracts. I'm sure if you explain your situation re monitoring to your installer they would arrange 6 months monitoring no problem. I wouldn't see any problem with it.
    You could also have the option down the line of transferring the account to another address if you wanted.

And bring the control panel, bell box, sensors etc with you or pay full whack for another brand new system in the new house?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Kop On wrote: »
    And bring the control panel, bell box, sensors etc with you or pay full whack for another brand new system in the new house?

You could bring everything with you and transfer monitoring contract to new address

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Ok thanks for the replies, can you do the transfer with the likes of securigard etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 gt4-wrc

get a trained gaurd dog and bring them with you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Dont really want a dog thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

seanino wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for some advice here. I have just moved into a house that I intend on selling in next 6 months. I really need an alarm for the house but all the monitoring options like phonewatch and securigard are offering only 12 month contracts and they are working out 800-1000 euro. Is there a cheaper option or 6 month option or can I bring the alarm system with me when I move. Don't really want to be forking out for an expensive alarm for 6 months and I lose it with the house. I am also interested in the alarms that work off the wifi. How much are these roughly and are they easy to install? Any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sean

Any system can be taken out. Wire free systems are ideal for this as they would be the easiest to move to a new premises with no real fuss.
    If you are planning to use the wifi for notifications will you be able to sign up to that for 6 months or else use a GSM for the time being and sell it on adverts once you have moved into your new place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are removing an alarm to take with you after a sale I would recommend it be done prior to viewings etc. I wouldn't be too happy to sign for a house & arrive to see holes in the windows etc everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Harvey Normans are doing a wireless camera that will alert you on your smart phone if there is any movement and you can also see this on your phone, assuming you already have a modem/router. cost approx. €100

Advertisement