Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff & Bus Strike

Options
  • 28-04-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Are there any managers with staff who will be affected by the bus strike? Not really sure how to handle it myself, but most have cars or can walk/cycle, but one or two are reliant on the bus service. HR haven't really given us a steer, but I don't really want to force people into taking annual leave. They may not mind so would it be better just to say to them that the option is there if they want?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How your staff get to work is their problem, not yours. So IMHO say nothing - apart from possibly encouraging your other staff to be considerate of their colleagues (don't tell them to offer lists as such, that could be construed as telling them to use private vehicles for a work purpose).

But be sympathetic to leave requests if you can, it's one way of handling the problem for some people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd also recommend sending out an e-mail today to your team reminding them that it is likely to be a strike on day A, B and C and that if they use the bus they need to arrange alternative transport to work for that day; that way no one can claim they were not aware etc. Resend it the same week as a reminder and you're pretty much covered to be honest; they decided where to live and how to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The office moved recently so many didn't decide where to live based on our current location. So that's not a very fair assessment of the situation. I can't send an email without HR sanction and they seem to be ignoring the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Lux23 wrote: »
    The office moved recently so many didn't decide where to live based on our current location. So that's not a very fair assessment of the situation. I can't send an email without HR sanction and they seem to be ignoring the issue.

This is not really a HR issue.

It is not as if you are giving direction, or setting a policy, you are only providing a reminder, which they probably get from the radio anyway.

Manager your teams issues, ask for forgiveness later.

HR can be stuck in a paralysis of inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They send emails every other day about strikes in other countries, I might just call a short meeting and see what their plans are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement