Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Heart rate monitor alternative brand?

• 28-04-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

so my HRM is taking an age to get going (stays around 70 to 80bpm), then it goes and then it falls back down again (back down to 80).
    I've changed to a brand new strap (Polar one from a Polar one) and changed the battery but it still the same; might work in 1 session and then not in another.
    What are good cheap alternatives to a new garmin HRM?

SCR do the garmin one for 50: http://www.swimcyclerun.com/computers/garmin-premium-heart-rate-monitor-soft-strap-.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Not a recommendation but garmin and polar use different technology AFAIK.
    I have both a garmin and a polar but they are not compatible.
    Garmin is ANT and the polar uses a system that is common to gym equipment.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Not a recommendation but garmin and polar use different technology AFAIK.
    I have both a garmin and a polar but they are not compatible.
    Garmin is ANT and the polar uses a system that is common to gym equipment.
    Marty.

I have the Garmin 500 bundle, not long after I purchased the bundle, the HR strap started giving problems, the HR reading would be the same for the majority of the spin. I purchased the Polar HR strap from Amazon ($22.95 delivered) and it worked fine. Just clipped the transmitter unit from the Garmin onto the Polar. I think the straps tend to last longer if rinsed out periodically to remove sweat residue build up etc

I cant post URL's yet as I dont have enough posts done......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Have you considered visiting your GP? Just a thought :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar operate on Bluetooth and 5mhz frequency so the transmitters are not interchangeable with Garmin. The chest straps used to be until Polar realised they were solving poor Garmin manufacturing and changed the config of their straps, a Polar strap is no longer usable with Garmin transmitters.

Garmin use ANT or ANT+ tech so you could pick up a Suunto transmitter or any other 3rd party ANT+ unit and it will be compatible with the head unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Alek wrote: »
    Have you considered visiting your GP? Just a thought :pac:
    haha, i'm thinking that as well! :P

i might get a new transmitter (not a new heart!) and see what happens.

• Advertisement

The other thing to consider is licking the strap.

Forget wetting it with water, saliva or a sensor gel is the best of the lot. If your chest is particularly hairy no strap in the world will work properly so get waxing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think the straps tend to last longer if rinsed out periodically to remove sweat residue build up etc

This was the issue with mine threw it into the wash and has worked perfect since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

AKW wrote: »
    Polar operate on Bluetooth and 5mhz frequency so the transmitters are not interchangeable with Garmin. The chest straps used to be until Polar realised they were solving poor Garmin manufacturing and changed the config of their straps, a Polar strap is no longer usable with Garmin transmitters.

Garmin use ANT or ANT+ tech so you could pick up a Suunto transmitter or any other 3rd party ANT+ unit and it will be compatible with the head unit.

Are you sure?

The strap is just a conduit/sensorstrap(?) and I ditched my Garmin strap a few months ago for a Polar one and have had no issues since. Unless Polar changed how their units attach to a strap?

For the record I followed Garmins instructions to the letter. Washed the strap every few spins (took it into the shower with me)
    Always wiped the Head unit after every spin. It still played up on me.

With the Polar Strap I got, it works fine.

It wouldn't make sense for Polar to miss out on selling straps to Garmin customers either. Happy to be corrected though!

Are you sure?

The strap is just a conduit/sensorstrap(?) and I ditched my Garmin strap a few months ago for a Polar one and have had no issues since. Unless Polar changed how their units attach to a strap?

For the record I followed Garmins instructions to the letter. Washed the strap every few spins (took it into the shower with me)
    Always wiped the Head unit after every spin. It still played up on me.

With the Polar Strap I got, it works fine.

It wouldn't make sense for Polar to miss out on selling straps to Garmin customers either. Happy to be corrected though!

My polar and garmin straps are quite different physically..you couldn't interchange them whilst using either transmitter,but my straps wouldn't be the latest and greatest.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As far as I understand it there is only one of the Polar straps that works properly with the Garmin transmitter, it's the WearLink one, according to this article but I'm not sure it's labelled as "WearLink" on this side of the water. I *think* it's the same one labelled as "Polar Soft Strap", this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Oh, and there are several versions of the Garmin premium strap. I think the most recent one is "version 4" or some similar name, it looks different from previous versions, it seems to be mostly grey with black lines going through it, like in this photo. The previous version has a separate grey section(s) of strap and black section(s) of strap, like in this photo.

From what (little) I've read on it, the most recent version is claimed by Garmin to be more reliable, although probably described in words that try hard not to suggest that previous versions of the strap were a bit rubbish. So if you have an older version you could "upgrade" to the newer version, if you can find it for sale in this area of the world. It's very pricey though, personally I'd try the Polar strap first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Not cheap but I ended up buying a mio link. It's an optical sensor you wear on your wrist like a watch. Transmits in Bluetooth smart and Ant+ simultaneously. Rechargeable. Has been flawless here in Majorca no matter how sweaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

They should be worn pretty tight as well. I am a hirsute gentleman and plenty of spit and a good tight hold seems to do the trick.

You can make up your own Brokeback Mountain jokes.

Are you sure?

I'm positive. :)

The older Polar strap that came with the Wearlink transmitter does work with the pop in Garmin units.

The new Polar straps with the 'H' series has a raised collar on the connectors which prevents the Garmin from clipping in.

This is what my garmin strap looks like.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/heart-rate-monitor/prod10996.html

Is this really old??
    In fairness it hasnt given me any hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

AKW wrote: »
    I'm positive. :)

The older Polar strap that came with the Wearlink transmitter does work with the pop in Garmin units.

The new Polar straps with the 'H' series has a raised collar on the connectors which prevents the Garmin from clipping in.

I read on DC Rainmaker's site that you can just cut off the raised collars and the Garmin will fit in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭roosterman71

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/heart-rate-monitor/prod10996.html

Is this really old??

I've the same strap that I went back to. Bought the 910 kit which included the new HR strap. Never worked correctly despite doing what other posters already mentioned (washed, spit, gel, etc). It would cut in and out, and then mis-read (registerd 40bpm after 80km going up the Wolf Trap last weekend!). Reverted to the old strap and no issues since

thanks for all the feedback everyone.

1. I've replaced the Polar soft strap with a new one; no joy.
    2. Lots of spit and tighter (sounds bad/good for some!); no joy.
    3. new battery; no difference.
    4. I have electrode gel but honestly that won't improve it cos it was the same the last time i replaced the old garmin strap with this now old polar soft strap.

used at a local race the other night, it was working and half way through it dropped out. last night on a recovery spin it never got going above 60bpm. depending on it for the TT in Kanturk; we might have to go on "feel" if its not working at that time! :D

anyone have feedback on the wahoo tickr?
    http://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html

same price as Garmin strap but could connect to my phone as well if i was out for a walk / run as its Bluetooth and ANT+.

Is this really old??

could be an option and since its very reliable: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-hrm-chest-strap/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I'm currently using one of these straps from Decathlon. Have had no problems with it so far. (also have garmin strap but I tend to use this one).

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-coded-digital-chest-strap-id_8321463.html

• Advertisement

markusz wrote: »
    thanks for all the feedback everyone.

1. I've replaced the Polar soft strap with a new one; no joy.
    2. Lots of spit and tighter (sounds bad/good for some!); no joy.
    3. new battery; no difference.
    4. I have electrode gel but honestly that won't improve it cos it was the same the last time i replaced the old garmin strap with this now old polar soft strap.

used at a local race the other night, it was working and half way through it dropped out. last night on a recovery spin it never got going above 60bpm. depending on it for the TT in Kanturk; we might have to go on "feel" if its not working at that time! :D

anyone have feedback on the wahoo tickr?
    http://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/hr.html

same price as Garmin strap but could connect to my phone as well if i was out for a walk / run as its Bluetooth and ANT+.

ok; since i posted this i trimmed off the excess chest hair (its gone from shaving legs to this! :P:D) and low and behold its improved no end. much better contact now with some saliva. seen it on another forum.

got the Wahoo tickr but won't use it until its needed. Curiosity will get the better of me and will use it though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rcdunne1

Has anyone used the Wahoo TickrX? Is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Had problems with my Garmin HR strap. It stopped reading at all on the Edge 500. I took the battery out, put in a new one: no luck.

Resolution: I held the battery in upside down for ten seconds which reset the device.

Would recommend people give it a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I read on DC Rainmaker's site that you can just cut off the raised collars and the Garmin will fit in.

I ordered the Polar strap from Amazon, and it arrived a few days later. Must admit I panicked when I tried to fit the Garmin head to the Polar strap, as it would not engage on the 2 fasteners. I thought I had 'bought a pup'. I eventually figured out that it would fit if I just trimmed the raised collars. Took some time as they were rubber and not the easiest to trim. But the Garmin head eventually popped on nice and snug. And it worked first time, in fact I'm convinced it is far better than the Garmin strap.

Advertisement