Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Bike Specials 3rd of May

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They've been spd's the last few times.
    If you zoom in on the sole in the picture, it looks like 2 holes i.e. spd

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Yes, shoes are SPDs.

I was hoping they'd have the ultra light packaway jackets but they don't :-(
    What are the triathlon suits like?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

I'll give the bib shorts a lash. If they're similar to the Lidl ones I'll be happy. Nothing fancy but good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ATDnKFa.png

someone's going to be chaffed with those jox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Damn only picked up a saddle bag there during the week. Might buy the glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Whats with the coconut water on the cycling specials page. This something new i haven't heard about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Whats with the coconut water on the cycling specials page. This something new i haven't heard about

Funy enough I started watching a few videos on that GCN cycling page on YouTube and they recommended coconut water amongst the foods and drinks to take with you on a long cycle. Very good videos actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dropped into Aldi in Coolock and bought their saddle bag.

Originally the idea was to put it onto my spare hybrid, but its twice the size as the bag on my regular bike so I've changed over.

Decent saddle bag and goodies for €5:90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got it too, but it blocks my rear light and that can only be mounted on the seat post, you can get loads into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

went in looking nothing really interested me i was debating whether or not to get one of the backpacks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not much in the aldi specials this time round. got the bike stand in lidl though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my arse and ball bag get terribly itchy after a long cycle:o will those underwear above help??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Massively disappointed their packable rain jacket wasn't listed this time,
    been waiting for it, regret not buying the last time they were on sale
    Will have to look for an alternative now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

torydiver wrote: »
    Massively disappointed their packable rain jacket wasn't listed this time,
    been waiting for it, regret not buying the last time they were on sale
    Will have to look for an alternative now....

What size are you? I have one from last time, never been worn as its too big for me. It's size L and hi-viz yellow. I'm in letterkenny.

What size are you? I have one from last time, never been worn as its too big for me. It's size L and hi-viz yellow. I'm in letterkenny.

In Letterkenny too but would need the xl,
    thanks for the offer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

torydiver wrote: »
    In Letterkenny too but would need the xl,
    thanks for the offer....

I usually wear large but this is too big on me and flaps about too much acting like a sail. I'd need a medium or possibly even a small to have a non flappy fit

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Did anyone check the shoes to see if they are spd or spd sl

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keladam

Anybody try the pump? I've read that previous ones were c**p but these look fairly ok. Was gonna get the topeak Road Morph Pump but maybe this one with the co2 to top it up might be an option.

mhiggy09 wrote:
    Did anyone check the shoes to see if they are spd or spd sl

SPD I checked last night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fryup wrote: »
    my arse and ball bag get terribly itchy after a long cycle:o will those underwear above help??

No. Wearing no underwear and proper shorts will.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Any thoughts on quality of the co2 inflator?,
    would it be worth a try for a few euros or would folks recommend going for a recognized brand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nabbed one of the €9 Selle Royale Saddles...will find a home. Probably on the reconstituted beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone got an opinion on the bibs and/or the shorts with the new padding? Think Ill chance one this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion on the bibs and/or the shorts with the new padding? Think Ill chance one this evening.

I got them for commuting 20k round trip to work each day. They seem decent enough for the price. The padding is thick enough so could probably support a 2 hour cycle or more. Found the short silicon band a little tight around the quad even though the waist fits perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The bib or the shorts?

Thargor wrote: »
    The bib or the shorts?

The Bibs. The leg opening is a bit tight... maybe I just have huge quads :pac: ( I don't!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Took the bib shorts out on a three hour spin yesterday - very comfortable. I agree with jon1981, the band around the quads is a bit tighter than I would have expected but not really a problem.

Did the usual ALDI thing of course. Went in to get two bib shorts - came out with 2 bib shorts, 1 shorts, 2 pairs socks and a bright running shirt (not to mention apples, oranges......)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

I usually wear large but this is too big on me and flaps about too much acting like a sail. I'd need a medium or possibly even a small to have a non flappy fit

I have a medium white ( men's) from a couple of years ago if you want it. Only worn once as it was like a parachute on me! Free to good home.

• Advertisement

well my bib shorts are going in the bin. went out for a 30k spin tonight with them and my arse is sore.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    well my bib shorts are going in the bin. went out for a 30k spin tonight with them and my arse is sore.

Really? I went out on two 50k cycles in them and feel grand. The gf also had a pair on one of the cycles and not a bother. Are you new to cycling? Might just be a conditioning thing.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Really? I went out on two 50k cycles in them and feel grand. The gf also had a pair on one of the cycles and not a bother. Are you new to cycling? Might just be a conditioning thing.

i'm new as in only be cycling a year. :D

i have 3 other pairs of shorts and don't have any issue with any of them
    even a cheap pair i got from china.

maybe i got a dud :confused:

i'm new as in only be cycling a year. :D

i have 3 other pairs of shorts and don't have any issue with any of them
    even a cheap pair i got from china.

maybe i got a dud :confused:

Could be or maybe I'm used to the numb arse feeling lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Did you remove all the packaging? :D

More seriously, I've found them quite good although previous versions were a bit long for me which meant that the pad didn't stay in the same place all the time. A quick bit of sewing to shorten the strapping over the shoulder fixed it. Also you shouldn't wear anything under them.

I felt the chamois in one of the bibs last night, seemed like the same cheap foam as before which I relegated to the Turbo.

Jersey seemed much improved though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Nabbed one of the €9 Selle Royale Saddles...will find a home. Probably on the reconstituted beater.

I went into Aldi Rathmines today for a looksee. Are they not a bit spongey? And likely to hold water? How have you found them so far? Have you been out in the rain with it yet?

tampopo wrote: »
    I went into Aldi Rathmines today for a looksee. Are they not a bit spongey? And likely to hold water? How have you found them so far? Have you been out in the rain with it yet?

haven't rebuilt the bike it's going on yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I see Aldi and Lidl both have bib shorts in at the minute. Any thoughts on which is the bett-- eh, the least worst? For extra credit, any difference in the fit? Would ideally prefer something relatively tight in the shorts and long in the bib. Trying to cut down on buying an L and and XL of each and ending up returning three...

Advertisement