Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion fault

Options
  • 28-04-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

A sink was left overflowing in a house and the main 63A tripped. The old DZ board has been changed to a new board and the immersion circuit is tripping the rcd. I had a spare thermostat and tried this and the circuit stills trips. When the immersion is disconnected the circuit is ok.
    As the area of the water damage should not affect the cable route of the immersion (as far as i can see) my question is, could the high current from the fault (on another circuit) affect the element itself.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Faulty immersion is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

The immersion was working before the water damage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As above faulty immersion most likely.

I will be changing the element.
    I was just wondering could the fault from the water damage on a different circuit have damaged the immersion. Because the immersion was fine the day before the flood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I will be changing the element.
    I was just wondering could the fault from the water damage on a different circuit have damaged the immersion. Because the immersion was fine the day before the flood.

Not likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is it possible that the water level in the tank fell with power on the immersion?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

When you had the old fuse board before the leak you prob did not have an RCD installed. There prob was a small leak of current to earth all the time but there was no rcd to detect it. Now the RCD is in place it is just doing its job and tripping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes it's the immersion element most likely tripping the newly installed RCD. No RCD before the new board was put in, so no tripping. The element likely has an earth fault.

Before RCDs were standard on them, I used to remove the odd element which had split, completely exposing the inner conductor to the water, but they still stayed on.

They don't get that bad when there's an RCD on the circuit, as they start tripping them long before the element gets that bad.

Thanks lads that answers it......

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes it's the immersion element most likely tripping the newly installed RCD. No RCD before the new board was put in, so no tripping. The element likely has an earth fault.

Before RCDs were standard on them, I used to remove the odd element which had split, completely exposing the inner conductor to the water, but they still stayed on.

They don't get that bad when there's an RCD on the circuit, as they start tripping them long before the element gets that bad.

The old board had an rcd but it was very old. Just changed it and the element was split rite open and you could see the conductor inside. And as you said the immersion was working before the board change and the new sensitive RCD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement