Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you present for mortgage broker?

Options
  • 28-04-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for this post.

I was wondering what the etiquette was for thank you gifts. We got our mortgage through a broker and he went over and above throughout the process. We would like to give him a small token of our appreciation but are not sure if this would be considered appropriate.

Has anyone any experience or suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could pay him? If you really want to, maybe a box of chocolates!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Good bottle of whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

He is a professional and he did his job well, a gift isn't necessary or even particularly appropriate. A note of thanks would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

He is a professional and he did his job well, a gift isn't necessary or even particularly appropriate. A note of thanks would be better.

Agreed. If he is an employee of a larger organisation then an email/letter to his superior would probably be worth more to him in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or recommend him to other people who know who are looking for a broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I agree with this. We dealt with the bank directly instead of a broker and sent a thank you note to the person we were dealing with, he did a great job. Wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to accept a gift, a lot of companies have policies against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

miezekatze wrote: »
    I agree with this. We dealt with the bank directly instead of a broker and sent a thank you note to the person we were dealing with, he did a great job. Wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to accept a gift, a lot of companies have policies against that.

I would be chuffed to receive a gift but it would raise a few eyebrows in the office for sure and I would find it awkward regardless. I'm a professional and I'm paid to do the work I do. The satisfaction of knowing that I have done a good job is reward enough, gifts really aren't necessary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A nice bottle of wine and a thank you card, you'll make their day.

Despite the old "they're just doing their job" line, you were dealing with a decent person who made a good impression on you at an important time, not a robot or a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If I were you I'd consider the commission he received from the lender as his thank-you present.

Another option is contacting him to say you're going to make a donation to charity in his name & asking to what charity he would like the donation made.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hotzenplotz

Thanks to all, loads to think about. A card will probably be the way to go and I'll recommend him at every given opportunity. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We recently got our mortgage through Ulster Bank, and the girl was fantastic.
    Phonecalls and emails everytday to keep us posted on the status, everything was such a simple process.

I bought her a bottle of Prosecco and a Thank you card, left it in the branch for her and also emailed the Customer Service Dept to offer my thanks for her work.

Its just nice to say thank you imho.
    For comparissons sake, im the kinda guy that leaves a bottle of wine in the fridge for new tennants first day and xmas and will also give them €50 back christmas week to buy something for the family, am i a sap, maybe, but good karma and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The main way you can thank a professional like this is good referrals. This is the lifeblood of the whole thing. It is hard to do sometimes, but it really makes a difference for their practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

kceire wrote: »
    We recently got our mortgage through Ulster Bank, and the girl was fantastic.
    Phonecalls and emails everytday to keep us posted on the status, everything was such a simple process.

I bought her a bottle of Prosecco and a Thank you card, left it in the branch for her and also emailed the Customer Service Dept to offer my thanks for her work.

Its just nice to say thank you imho.
    For comparissons sake, im the kinda guy that leaves a bottle of wine in the fridge for new tennants first day and xmas and will also give them €50 back christmas week to buy something for the family, am i a sap, maybe, but good karma and all that!

Can I rent a property from you please??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can I rent a property from you please??

Put our most recent one up 3 weeks ago and it was gone that day, sorry :)

Advertisement