Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game movie cutscenes

Options
  • 28-04-2015 1:06pm

Does anyone ever watch these on YouTube? It's where people play some games, but they just use the cutscenes as opposed to gameplay footage, effectively turning them into a feature length movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I did this with Resident Evil 5.... I made other people watch them too.... people who hadn't played the game, no wonder I've f**k all friends now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a really good one for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. It's over 2 hours long.

I watched one for Dead Space 3. Knew I had no intention of ever playing it, so I didn't mind. Currently watching one for evil within.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No. If a game has a worthwhile narrative, it is usually part of an otherwise well made game that is worth experiencing as the gamemakers intended. To pick one of the few games with legitimately well-directed and written cutscenes, The Last of Us is a game where the 'passive' viewing is supplemented massively by the story and character details that emerge when we're 'actively' playing (even if there's a lot of pointless shooting along the way).

But the biggest problem is this: most game stories with even decent or tolerable cutscenes are significantly inferior to watching an actual movie, even if it's only a mediocre one, let alone a great one. When there's an interesting game around that, it can be overlooked. But remove the game and you're left with a **** film. I'd rather watch a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Rarely, but I recently watched the Mortal Kombat one (don't really know what installment it was) - was pretty enjoyable actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

watched the mass effect ones, 12 hours of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I did for Res 6 to see how the story goes as I couldn't bring myself to play any more of it.

At times I forget how the story in detail went in MGS2 and 4 and go back to watch it. I now find MGS2's story now makes alot more sense in todays world than it did when the game was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Currently watching one for evil within.

Probably more entertaining than the game itself actually. Very disappointing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll occasionally watch bits of them, for games i've already completed. Can't be bothered playing some games again, so just watch the cool parts. Wouldn't do it with a game i've not played though...or at least i haven't yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I recently watched the Mortal Kombat (2011) one, in preparation for the release of MKX. I just couldn't be arsed playing through the story again myself, had already completed it four or five times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Watched my fav Mass Effect ones again,

Ive also watched the ones from Worms2, Command & Conquer, amongst others.

Edit: Cutscenes from Starcraft II, its like watching a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I've noticed these. Only watched 1 or 2 myself purely out of curiosity. There's some games out there that have more cutscenes and cutscene quality than they do gameplay and gameplay quality. But with games that bad I'd rather read a book or watch a foreign movie and get some actual story and non-cringe worthy writing... or play an actual good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Edit: Cutscenes from Starcraft II, its like watching a movie.

Blizzard definitely do some of , if not 'the' best cutscenes out there.
    Warcraft 3 was over 10 years ago and the cutscenes are still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Starcraft 2 works really well for this kind of thing.

I think Heart of the Swarm works the better of the two.

Advertisement