Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your go to local multiplayer games...

Options
  • 28-04-2015 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I had one of my mates over for a beer the other night and I had to think about good 2 player local multiplayer games. Vs more so than co op as its just for a few hours which wouldn't be enough time to get through the likes of let's say gears of war.

I ended up taking out the following.

Madden 12 on 360 as he's likes NFL. (This was a bit of fun but realistically both of us were shocking at it so it was low scoring let's say)

FIFA 12 on 360(didn't play it, 1 sports game was enough)

Street Fighter 4 on 360 (this provided good entertainment as we'd both grown up on the arcade sf2, but I still don't understand all the gauges and hyper bars etc which led to one of us pulling off a move wee didn't mean to and winning by chance. Pity they can't be turned off)

Smash brothers on Wii U (so much going on in this game, I don't think it's suited to a brand new player. Neither of us really got into it)

Mario Kart 8 Wii U (went down the best for the evening, so suitable to new and old players imo, we even played online which was nice)

So my question is what games do you whip out for when you only have one friend over and then if you have a few over?

It's gas really as I have God knows how many games for various systems but when I started looking at the library I was kinda stumped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,537 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mario Kart 8.
    Rainbow 6 Vegas 2.
    Split/Second.
    Street Fighter 4.

It really is annoying that local co-op/multiplayer seems to be almost dead.

Remeber when I got Xbox One and PS4 it was pointless asking mates around. "Want to come over and take it in turns watching each other play Call of Duty?" ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Gear of War 2
    Borderlands 2
    Soul Calibur 3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I blame the death of local multiplayer on everyone who paid for online multiplayer services like Xbox Live.

You get what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Rock and Roll Racing
    Charlie Murder
    Castle Crashers
    Little Big Planet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

worms
    mount your friends
    castle crashers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DragonBourne

gears of war!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Call of Duty, Stars War Battlefront 2 and Halo really.

Even though it goes back to 2006 Battlefront 2 is still just so unbelievably playable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nidhogg is a recent favourite. Easy to learn but with enough nuances to learn, it manages to occupy the fine line between accessibility and depth, leading to some epic duels. Getting devoured by the Nidhogg is always a delightful reward :)

Towerfall Ascension is a masterpiece of local multiplayer design. One of last year's best games, point blank, in fact. Every little detail - from the need to pick up your arrows to the ability to dash and catch - builds up to create a game that's never less that visceral and exciting. A few competitive friends and there's hours of fun.

Split / Second has been my friends' go to multiplayer games for years. Criminally underappreciated still, the fun amplifies when you have two players comfortable with a track's intricacies - meaning a race turns into a delightful mix of aggressive and defensive play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A few I'd thought of others I hadn't.

It's not a regular occurrence these days but good to have ideas ready for when the odd occasion does come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Fifa
    Gears of war 1-3
    Call of duty
    Doom
    F1 race stars

If we are talking retro
    Goldeneye
    Mario kart
    Duke Nukem
    Cool boarders
    Nba

I'm sure there are loads more that I haven't thought of though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Last time we were drinking and gaming we had both Nidhogg and Lethal League on the go. Would definitely recommend either regardless of how many people are there. :)

I don't think I've seen LL mentioned here before come to think of it...

Lethal League

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

never played it, but Gangbeasts looks like deadly craic.

http://gangbeasts.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Tekken and Dead Or Alive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

There's a few i play with various people

Injustice: Gods among us
    Halo: CE
    Minecraft (warning, don't play it with your girlfriend or she'll turn your super-awesome castle into a sissy house :( )
    Wii sports resort
    SSX 3 (I know it's old, but it's just so damn good!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

My friends and I still throw on Left 4 Dead now and again.
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is another good one.
    Worms if you have it, never fails to amuse. Helps that you can share a controller, provided you trust the other person with not sabotaging you. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Return Fire pure 2 player gold.
    Super Bomberman
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Mashed: Fully Loaded- This one all day every day, if I got the chance. It's such a fun multi-player game and makes me wish I had a multitap for my PS2.
    Street Fighter IV- Ultra is a the current edition, and it's tons of fun. I hang out with a lot of Street Fighter players, so this game gets a lot of time.
    Street of Rage 2- Girlfriendo loves Streets of rage 2, so this is our go to multiplayer title.
    Final Fight- I love this one, and will play it as often as possibly any time someone is around.

On top of that, pretty much any good arcade brawler or shmup that I have lying around the house. I love good fun co-op games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Sportsfriends, Towerfall and Fibbage/ Jackbox Party Pack are amazing for any size party, no matter their experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bomberman 93 is the best of the classic bombed an games outside of Saturn bombermans 10 player mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Rayman Origins is pretty good and Rayman Legends fantastic local multiplayer games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh yeah, Johann Sebastian Joust (available in Sportsfriends with some other neat games) is probably the most radical, entertaining party game of recent times. Recently had four player matches in a field at night, with only the glowing Move controllers to guide. Suffice to say it's ****ing magnificent, and justifies the otherwise pointless existence of Playstation Move.

Advertisement