Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 3 - Working in Eastpoint

Options
  • 28-04-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

Hello i'm due to start working in the Eastpoint business park in Dublin from July onwards and was wondering how hard it is to find accommodation in a shared house at the moment? Problem is i'll be working full time until then and have exams in June.I'd like to be close to work where possible so I'd imagine somewhere in Clontarf or Dublin 3 is the best? Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'll have no issues finding shared accommodation however D3 has some of the worst and best areas in Dublin. You'll really need to have a look at the areas you're thinking of living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

You'll have no issues finding shared accommodation however D3 has some of the worst and best areas in Dublin. You'll really need to have a look at the areas you're thinking of living in.

what areas would you say to avoid? What are the good areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

smurgen wrote: »
    what areas would you say to avoid? What are the good areas?

It really depends on you. I'd probably avoid Ballybough* but personally I thought North Strand was fine, many would disagree. East wall etc. looks okay to me but again it really depends.

Clontarf would be the obvious 'good' area but it's very expensive.

Fairview again very mixed reports, personally I'd have no issue living there but others would.

As with the majority of Dublin 'four streets over' makes all the difference.

*No disrespect intended to the residents of Ballybough 99% of which are of course grand. It'd not be somewhere I'd want to be as a blow in is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

I'd echo the same, you really would need to be more specific with street names. Take the Clonliffe Road, depending on which end of that street you live on it can be considered a good or bad area.

Personally if you are a single bloke looking for digs in the area I'd don't think anywhere around there would be a problem except with the rare exception.

It really depends on you. I'd probably avoid Ballybough* but personally I thought North Strand was fine, many would disagree. East wall etc. looks okay to me but again it really depends.

Clontarf would be the obvious 'good' area but it's very expensive.

Fairview again very mixed reports, personally I'd have no issue living there but others would.

As with the majority of Dublin 'four streets over' makes all the difference.

*No disrespect intended to the residents of Ballybough 99% of which are of course grand. It'd not be somewhere I'd want to be as a blow in is all.

Fairview looks close and quiet cheap. Clontarf doesn't look too expensive either.I've lived in Brixton and thought it was grand while others found it rough.I'd say im not so easily phased but i'm not sure how rough bad parts of Dublin are really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Fairview looks close and quiet cheap. Clontarf doesn't look too expensive either.I've lived in Brixton and thought it was grand while others found it rough.I'd say im not so easily phased but i'm not sure how rough bad parts of Dublin are really.

If Brixton was grand then you won't have a problem with anywhere in D3 (although the nightlife will be nowhere near as good ;) ). East Wall is generally settled and fine - friends of mine have lived on East Road and Moy Elta Road for years without a hitch - you might need a thick skin to put up with some of the local kids the very odd time. Plenty of professionals renting on Cadogan Road and Addison Road in Fairview, and there are lovely houses on North Strand and some of the side roads off it. Not as leafy as Clontarf, but cheaper. All depends on what you want though, and if Clontarf is within your budget then that's the "best" address. Just be careful as some parts of Clontarf away from the coast road and the Howth Road aren't that well connected in terms of proximity to transport, shops etc.

You do say you want to be close to work, but bear in mind that East Point is only a couple of minutes walk from Contarf Dart station, so that could expand your search area a bit.

guerito wrote: »
    If Brixton was grand then you won't have a problem with anywhere in D3 (although the nightlife will be nowhere near as good ;) ). East Wall is generally settled and fine - friends of mine have lived on East Road and Moy Elta Road for years without a hitch - you might need a thick skin to put up with some of the local kids the very odd time. Plenty of professionals renting on Cadogan Road and Addison Road in Fairview, and there are lovely houses on North Strand and some of the side roads off it. Not as leafy as Clontarf, but cheaper. All depends on what you want though, and if Clontarf is within your budget then that's the "best" address. Just be careful as some parts of Clontarf away from the coast road and the Howth Road aren't that well connected in terms of proximity to transport, shops etc.

You do say you want to be close to work, but bear in mind that East Point is only a couple of minutes walk from Contarf Dart station, so that could expand your search area a bit.

Perfect! Thanks very much for the advice.grew up in knocknahenny in Cork myself so the odd bowsey isn't gonna throw me off.i'll aim for fair view or clontarf so to begin with and move if I'm unsure!an easy commute is the top priority after safety and both those places look close.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Perfect! Thanks very much for the advice.grew up in knocknahenny in Cork myself so the odd bowsey isn't gonna throw me off.i'll aim for fair view or clontarf so to begin with and move if I'm unsure!an easy commute is the top priority after safety and both those places look close.

There's a dart station on clontarf road which is less than 10 mins walk from east point, and east point provide a shuttle bus to both the dart station and Connolly/Docklands rail stations. As such you can live anywhere.

I'd recommend taking a look at killester and Raheny specifically, just up the dart line. I'm from cork and lived in Raheny for 4 years. Both are nice spots with reasonable (for Dublin) rents, a few good quiet pubs, shops, cafés and golf, pitch and putt etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ringsend/Irishtown/Sandymount would be another option - its less than 10 minutes on a bike to East Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Worked in east point years ago and lived in Clontarf, loved it best area hands down to live in Dublin in my opinion, I lived close enough to the Yacht so easy to get to work, and head home at lunchtime if you wanted. I lived close enough to Clonliffe road in the past and wouldn't again. As has been said four streets can make a huge difference in Dublin especially on the Northside.

Even if Clontarf was slightly more expensive that'd be my first choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement