Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - Flood cover

Options
  • 28-04-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Does anyone know the name of any insurance company that would quote for home insurance for a house in a flood zone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There will be two issues:
    * Water-related ones. You will find it difficult, but not necessarily impossible to get flood insurance. If it will only flood once every hundred years, the insurers are likely to accept that risk. If it is every year, they won't. You may find that there will be quirks in water damage insurance, e.g. burst pipes, as it may be difficult to determine what damage is flood damage or not.
    * Non-water related ones. These parts of the policy are likely to be within the normal price range, although subsidence and the like may be affected.

What can be done to minimise the flood risk? https://www.google.ie/search?q=flood+berm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j_E_VdrrJYbn7ga_yIGoCA&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=486

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Admiral wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Does anyone know the name of any insurance company that would quote for home insurance for a house in a flood zone?

Has your current insurer told you you are in a flood zone?

If so then chances are you wont get anyone to cover it Im afraid.

We use a geo-coding system that most insurers use and there are 3 risk zones, amber, red and black.

Black is an auto decline for flood, red is 99/100 a decline and amber can be 50/50 depending on remedial works, height above sea level, likelihood of flood occurring again etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately many of them use the same council maps- which are often plagued with inaccuracies and or invalid presumptions. I live on a hill that has never flooded. However, as its in the middle of an area that has historically had flooding issues- no cover for me. I have separate buildings cover (via the Management Company)- but wouldn't be able to procure private cover.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Admiral wrote: »
    Hi All,

Your user name and question just made me laugh loudly :D

Advertisement