Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors for gaming

Options
  • 28-04-2015 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to upgrade from an LCD TV to a monitor. I play Ps4 although I've been playing Ps3 as of late.

Any ideas, price isn't an issue so please if you have any suggestions relay them to me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Edit: Above option looks pretty good

I have my PC and PS4 hooked up to a Dell UltraSharp U2412M, and it works a treat. Really great image quality, and no image letterboxing/stretching on the PS4 which I've read about people having trouble with.

Caveat - there's no HDMI port on this monitor, so you need a HDMI to DVI adapter for the consoles, and I'm also using the DisplayPort port for the PC so that I can swap between them easily.

Second caveat, you will almost certainly need to output audio separately from the console into speakers/headphones as monitors usually don't do sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭HonestCry

Thank you 😊

Thank you 😊

• Advertisement

I've never purchased anything from Amazon, your review of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.displaylag.com/

Empirical research.

HonestCry wrote: »
    I've never purchased anything from Amazon, your review of it?

My review of Amazon?

Yeah ive purchased loads of stuff from there without a problem.

You can also get deals on returned items, the monitor i bought was a return, i got e50 off it because it was returned with minor marks to the back of the monitor, i cant even spot them.

Just 1 tip, dont use Amazons exchange rate, always use your banks. So always pay in Sterling and let the bank convert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If you arent playing PC on it, i wouldnt go maxing out your budget on a monitor with very high refresh rates or huge resolutions as you will see no benefit.

Plenty of 1080p IPS or VA panels (nice lush colours and good viewing angles) with 60 htz refresh rates (i dont know if any of consoles exceed this in any games).

I bought an LG model a couple of years ago with these specs for 150, so im sure there are better now for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Some PS4 games are locked to 30, Bloodborne comes to mind. Any sort of a 1080p 60hz monitor will do you OP, should be looking at about €150 tops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

As others have said, you shouldn't invest too much into a monitor if you're going primarily for PS4 use. Everything is capped so any standard 1080p 60Hz display will do you. You're not going to notice any difference in responsiveness especially if using a gamepad for shooters. Some games will even be 30fps in which case no matter what you're using you're going to have fairly large input lag.

Only if you're playing fighting games (quite competitively, too) should be a time when display responsiveness is an issue on console w/ gamepads and fight sticks etc.

A great help guys, thanks a lot! :)

Advertisement