Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you ...

Options
  • 28-04-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

So I'm sure its been done before, but out of curiosity, what age were you when you flew the nest ? if you're still at home do you ever plan on leaving ? what age is it not ok to still be living at home in your opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I moved out of home at 17. Never regretted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

17 for me too, university and then on to the real world!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

18 when going to collage. Can't understand how people are still willingly living at home any later than that

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

left at 17 for college, stayed out until I was 22, wanted to start saving for a house and couldn't save anything of note renting in Dublin at the time. All going well should have more than enough for 20%+ deposit by the end of the year.. I'm 25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Connavar wrote: »
    18 when going to collage. Can't understand how people are still willingly living at home any later than that

Well, in fairness, I didn't have a commute option to college.

For those living in or near a city/town with a college in it that they went too, why take on all the extra expense of renting somewhere when you can live at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My parents moved house when I was in the middle of my leaving (youngest child), which was a pretty clear indicator that they wanted us all to feck off and move out :D

I hung around the family home till I was 19 but in reality I spent about six months couch surfing because my parents had moved to the arse end of Wicklow and I wanted to spend my college days drinking in Dublin. So I moved in with my brother shortly afterwards.

Can't say I was properly "moved out" because I was living rent free and my parents were paying my insurance for getting around, but apart from that I was otherwise working part time in college and paying for myself.

I wouldn't really criticise anyone for still being at home, but if you're 18 and your Mammy is still washing your clothes and making your dinner, you need to get your **** together. If you're an adult you should be sharing the home as an adult, not living like a child.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

17. Still brought laundry home for 2 years- as my accommodation didn't have a washing machine. Note- I brought my laundry home- and did it myself- I didn't hand it over to Mammy. Raiding the fridge at home was a bigger temptation........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Moved out at 24 when I graduated, moved back in with my mother at 26 when she was made redundant. Moved into a place with my girlfriend (now wife) at 30.

Assuming that people should be out on their own at 18 is wildly unrealistic in a lot of cases. If you're going to college in your home town and your parents aren't wealthy but can still put you up, then it's outright madness to contemplate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Moved out at 24 into a lovely apartment, moved to a dump after that cause the housemate wanted a house, and moved home 4 months later when the dump partially collapsed. Planning on moving out soon with my gf, but we have differing opinions on whether renting is dead money or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

As a parent (young children) I have to say I'd be in no rush to see my kids leave home ........... financial reasons would be one reason but to be honest it's more because I know that when they're gone they're probably gone forever ......... I'll enjoy having them around with me for as long as possible without holding them back until the time comes for them to leave ......... my wife feels the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

18 in with the rich girlfriend whose mother just bought her a place when we went to Uni. Downside was she (both) was an utter... anyway.

Bought my first place at 20. The benefits of a properly function property market and 100% mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MadDog76 wrote: »
    As a parent (young children) I have to say I'd be in no rush to see my kids leave home ........... financial reasons would be one reason but to be honest it's more because I know that when they're gone they're probably gone forever ......... I'll enjoy having them around with me for as long as possible without holding them back until the time comes for them to leave ......... my wife feels the same.

Come back to us when they're teenagers and let us know how you feel then.

On-topic: 22. But I paid board at market-rate from the day I turned 18. Stayed at home for college and while I got my first real job and started saving. (I remember being within $50 of flat broke.) Moved out about six months after starting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Come back to us when they're teenagers and let us know how you feel then.

On-topic: 22. But I paid board at market-rate from the day I turned 18. Stayed at home for college and while I got my first real job and started saving. (I remember being within $50 of flat broke.) Moved out about six months after starting work.

I'm back! :)
    Probably should have mentioned this but I've also raised my niece and nephew (long story as to why) ........... my niece was 4 when I/we took her on and my nephew was a few months old ........... anyway niece is now 19 and nephew is 15.
    Are they typical difficult at times teenagers .......... absolutely!
    Do I want to see them fly the nest ......... absolutely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

22, when I finished college. I then moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) at 23.

We lived with my parents for 6 months just before we bought a house, to house sit for them as they were travelling and also so we had less stress when house hunting etc

At 24 because I was moving to a different city. Had no desire to move out and had I got work near home I reckon I'd still be living at home unless I had bought my own place (I'm 30 now). To think of all the rent I would have saved living at home. I still spend a lot of time there (regular weekend visits, all the holidays etc) keep most of my stuff there, bedroom still mine and kept as I want it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

17 for me too. I don't think I'd want my own children moving out that early, but certainly if they were making no moves by their mid 20s I would be strongly encouraging them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

19 and still living at home. I'm in college full time, and trying to find a job, so I can contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Moved into my first flat aged 18 half way through first year university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Moved to canada after the leaving for the summer at 17 and came back for 1 week before moving out for good for college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To think of all the rent I would have saved living at home. I still spend a lot of time there (regular weekend visits, all the holidays etc) keep most of my stuff there, bedroom still mine and kept as I want it etc.

That's an interesting way to treat your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Presumably they're ok with it or a skip would have been hired by now?

They would be glad to have me still living at home (they regularly comment on how its a pity I have to be wasting money on rent).

As above for regular visits, they want me calling home as often as possible to spend time there and help with the farm. In fact I have to call home at times as I'm needed. Why wouldn't I still have my room in any case, its my room (and that's how my parents see it). My siblings also have their own rooms even though one is moved out and the other lives at home half the time and away half the time depending on work roster.

I hate this opinion you get from some (on boards, never in real life) that your home house is like some house share and once you move out that its no longer your home. Equally if I were living at home I'd be laughed at if I tried to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

17, and the party never stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I was 19 when I first moved out, ended up having to move back a year later though. I moved out properly when I was 24. I know people in their thirties who still live with their parents, it really wouldn't be for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

I am still at home, though Im nearly 27 so I do want to move out, my mum has bad arthritis in her hips and thats whats keeping me at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

29 almost 30 and I don't regret a thing. Live quite close to my parents too and wouldn't have it any other way. They half reared my eldest before his dad and I got married and bought our own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 grey_area

Moving out in the coming weeks, I'm 22 :)

Trying to figure out how much I can afford for rent in Dublin is tricky enough... Lots of decisions to be made in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Moved out for college at 17, but my parents paid my way so that doesn't really count. They insisted by the way! I was going to get a part time job but they preferred me to be able to devote my time to study 100%.

I moved back home after college for a year to job hunt and study for entrance exams. I've been making my own way in the big bad world since I was 22. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Are they typical difficult at times teenagers .......... absolutely!

not hitting them hard enough

Advertisement