Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I was 18 when I went to college and moved out. However I moved back a few years ago for a short while.
    Although I love my parents, I needed to get away again. I felt like I was in the way and I should be independent.
    I lived in the UK and now Canada so always had the urge to travel. I love going home on visits but find myself getting restless if I'm there too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As above for regular visits, they want me calling home as often as possible to spend time there and help with the farm. In fact I have to call home at times as I'm needed.

It's a bit different if you're contributing labour to the family business - you may not be paying rent, but if you weren't doing the work they'd have to pay someone else to do it, so you're "paying" that way.

Some people believe that it's not psychologically healthy to be living at home once you're an adult yourself. Certainly I see "flying the nest" and establishing your own place in the world as an important part of maturation - and I'd have no problem saying that to ya IRL. Obviously others disagree, and that's fine, the world would be boring if we all agreed about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I will probaly move out, when i'm 25, 2 years after getting my masters degree. If all goes to plan. I want to save up money for a house deposit before i leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I too was 18 when I left home. Bounced around a few rented places, lived with my Gran for a while and bought a flat at 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

15 was tired of my parents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Alkers

21 and still I'm the same place 7 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

24 when I finished college. Bloody engineering and its 5 year course. I was going to move out a few times but the family home is big and was very handy for college and town and nowhere i looked at would have been as good.
    Age is only a number, to get a real read you need to look at house size. I reckon that if we lived in a smaller house I'd have gone long before.

I spent a lot of time over in my girl friends house, she lived at home too but was in the same situation where anywhere she went wouldn't have been as good as her own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

18 for college but returned home and still here now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

ted1 wrote: »
    24 when I finished college. Bloody engineering and its 5 year course. I was going to move out a few times but the family home is big and was very handy for college and town and nowhere i looked at would have been as good.
    Age is only a number, to get a real read you need to look at house size. I reckon that if we lived in a smaller house I'd have gone long before.

I spent a lot of time over in my girl friends house, she lived at home too but was in the same situation where anywhere she went wouldn't have been as good as her own place.

I think this is a very good point, my house is not huge but there is enough space for everyone to have privacy, since there are only two kids and four bedrooms no one is in each others space, all we have to do is shut the door. If we still lived in our old house which was alot smaller I would have moved out as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

19, then after that I used the parents house as a base with a job that involved spending enough time to be Platinum in two different hotel chains in Ireland & the UK for a few years, moved out to mind a family members empty house at 23 then bought at 25 - only due to the monthly mortgage payments being about 2/3rds of renting.

However, I'd prefer we don't develop the culture that the US and more recently the UK has of people moving out at 17/18 to go to college and never returning - it ends up causing communities to never really develop and for areas to die off in to just being older people within about 30 years. I bought within 800m of my parents house not because I wanted to be close to them but because my entire social circle is here. Said family members house was also within a similarly close range for the same reasons.

I ended up being the youngest in my family to move out (due to the college in the town meaning older siblings didn't have to leave at all, I didn't go though) and I think the youngest to buy also but circumstance dictated both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Moved out when I was 26 when I bought my own place. I lived 15 mins from college so it financially didn't make sense to move out for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Moved out for college at 18 and stayed out in a few different rented places until I was 22 - me and the partner split and I had just been made redundant. Lived at home for a year (where I was driven utterly demented) until I went back to college at 23 and have been out of home ever since (almost 28 now). Love my mum to bits but absolutely could not live with her now so myself and OH have a contingency plan if we ever need emergency accommodation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

When I got married at 24

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Still at home, 29. Never moved out. Made some silly spending decisions over the last few years and effectively had no savings up until a couple years ago. Now I'm saving over 50% of my wages. Couldn't possibly do that if renting. Plus I'm paying for an expensive part-time college course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Never moved out. Now own the house where I was born for obvious reasons!
    Won't be in any hurry to hunt my teenagers, but they will pay keep/rent to cover food, bills, etc once they have their own income.

Advertisement