Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sushi in Dublin

Options
  • 28-04-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

My personal favourite, having not tried them all, is Ukiyo on Exchequer Street. Anyone else's favourites?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I've never been to Japan, so I'm no sushi expert, but I'm a huge huge fan of Yamamori (any of the branches).

My other favourite is Musashi. There's one on Capel St. and one in the IFSC. Musashi tends to work out as the cheaper option for a takeaway.

I've been hearing good things about a place called Okayu on the North Strand Rd., but I don't think it opens during office hours, when I'd be in that general neck of the woods.

The absolute worst sushi I have ever consumed was at that conveyor belt on the ground floor of the Dundrum shopping centre. Ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Another one for Musashi. So cheap and such friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yamamori has awful sushi.

The sushi in Arisu on capel st is not great,
    In kimchi on Parnell st it is OK,
    Banyi in templebar round the corner from the hard rock cafe is good,
    but Musashi is probably the best I've had in Dublin.

Not tried ukiyo

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Jimmy Rabbitte Snr

Have Musashi booked for this weekend. Can't go wrong by the look of things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Musashi is very good. Tani is also great, and delivers. It's been a while since I went to Mitsuba but it was good last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

For price:quality ratio, definitely Musashi.

It's been a while since I've been to Yamamori but I remember it being tasty and expensive.

retalivity wrote: »
    Yamamori has awful sushi.

Really? It's a bit on the pricey side, but any meal I have ever had there (and that's quite a few at this stage) was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Really? It's a bit on the pricey side, but any meal I have ever had there (and that's quite a few at this stage) was lovely.

Yup, Yamamori sashimi platter is excellent. Expensive though.

Banyi (or whatever it's called) is very nice (based on one visit).

Kokoro on Liffey/Abbey st. does a decent takeaway if looking for somewhere quick for lunch.

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Kokoro on Liffey/Abbey st. does a decent takeaway if looking for somewhere quick for lunch.
    F.

I go there once in a while. I wasn't crazy about some of the fish-based stuff I got there, but the seaweed gunkan is absolutely out of this world. I haven't seen it in any other place yet in Dublin - the only other place I ever saw this stuff for sale was in a sushi place in Riga.

The other place I have heard people rave about is Michie Sushi. There's one hidden away somewhere in Ranelagh, another one in that big ugly Beacon complex in Sandyford and another one in Dun Laoghaire. I had a look at the menu myself and wasn't enticed as a lot of their sushi rolls seemed to contain mayonnaise (*puke*).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Another vote for Musashi. You won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Any thoughts on Michie Sushi in Ranelagh? Contemplating getting takeaway from them this weekend.

cosmic wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Michie Sushi in Ranelagh? Contemplating getting takeaway from them this weekend.

I never thought the menu looked particularly inspiring, and I only ever had a single tofu temaki roll from there that I scabbed off my OH one day after I had already had dinner and it was grand. Herself and several of her friends are big fans of the place in Ranelagh though, and I have generally heard only good stuff about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

kylith wrote: »
    Musashi is very good. Tani is also great, and delivers. It's been a while since I went to Mitsuba but it was good last time I was there.

Mitsuba closed down a good while ago. It used to be a regular haunt of ours but they kept jacking up the prices.

Not being a sushi snob but having travelled around Japan last summer it is so hard to find the same quality and freshness. We ate in some local places in Japan very cheaply and the Sushi was amazing. There is a Musashi chain over there with a good rep.

Anyway best I have had in Dublin is Musashi and Banyi. I found Banyi a bit more authentic in flavour to what we had in Japan and the staff are lovely. There is some dishes we tried in Japan including Takoyaki, okonomiyaki and grilled oysters and kaiseki cooking that I would love to see on offer in Japanese restaurants over here. Banyi do a pretty exquisite dragon roll.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm no expert but myself and a friend do enjoy the odd trip to Zakura on Wexford Street. Always tastes super fresh and tasty :)

Went to Musashi on Friday night. The advice in here was spot on. The sushi was delicious, best I've had in Dublin. The staff there are excellent there too, very very friendly. Definitely somewhere I'll be going again!

Thanks for reporting back OP! Be sure to try out some other places too. Afaik Zakura is owned by the same people who own Musashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Kathy22 wrote: »
    Mitsuba closed down a good while ago. It used to be a regular haunt of ours but they kept jacking up the prices. .
    Ah, that sucks. They did pretty good sushi.
    Not being a sushi snob but having travelled around Japan last summer it is so hard to find the same quality and freshness. We ate in some local places in Japan very cheaply and the Sushi was amazing. There is a Musashi chain over there with a good rep. .
    It's really amazing how cheaply you can get good sushi over there, I have some good (if hazy) memories of nights out in Y100 sushi places, that's only 75cent a plate!

Still can't find Hiroshima okinomiyaki here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anyway best I have had in Dublin is Musashi and Banyi. I found Banyi a bit more authentic in flavour to what we had in Japan and the staff are lovely. There is some dishes we tried in Japan including Takoyaki, okonomiyaki and grilled oysters and kaiseki cooking that I would love to see on offer in Japanese restaurants over here. Banyi do a pretty exquisite dragon roll.

My personal favourites are Musashi and Tani in Terenure. For what it's worth, Tani do make some basic okonomiyaki. They also have a starter of aubergine and tofu with a homemade miso paste that I love. Plus soft shell crab rolls.

I'd also give a mention to Zakura on Wexford St - handy for a sushi grab when in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Musashi are now in Sandyford too, across from the Beacon where Aya used to be. Open for takeaway only at the moment but restaurant should be ready in a few weeks. I'm a fan of Miche Sushi but I got food from Musashi on Saturday and I think it was better.

• Advertisement

Great to hear more and more sushi restaurants opening up. Maybe we'll eventually be able to get sea-urchin in Dublin!

Aard wrote: »
    Thanks for reporting back OP! Be sure to try out some other places too. Afaik Zakura is owned by the same people who own Musashi.

No problem, the advise was excellent. Some of you guys obviously know your stuff. I'm no expert in sushi, I'm relatively new to it in terms of varying restaurants but it is fast becoming my favourite food for a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

dudara wrote: »
    My personal favourites are Musashi and Tani in Terenure. For what it's worth, Tani do make some basic okonomiyaki. They also have a starter of aubergine and tofu with a homemade miso paste that I love. Plus soft shell crab rolls.

I'd also give a mention to Zakura on Wexford St - handy for a sushi grab when in the office

I have never heard of Tani but one to put on the list. I loved the variety of food in Osaka and the street food over there was great including okonomiyaki. I'll have to try it out for taste. Thanks Dudara.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have okonomiyaki on the menu in Okayu takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

cosmic wrote: »
    It's got good reviews on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78460254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Kokoro Sushi on liffey street is the best. Best sushi and value. Musashi is overrated.

Ah here. Musashi and Kokoro are in different leagues! Who wants their sushi wrapped in plastic and sitting in a fridge for hours?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Haven't eaten in Musashi but have eaten in the Ranelagh and Sandyford Michie Sushi quite a bit. Food there is excellent however as with all sushi in Dublin, quite expensive.

Yep it's pretty expensive here alright. At least twenty quid for sushi for one. Comparable to a restaurant main course, but expensive compared to other cities. Hopefully as the market for sushi grows, prices will come down.

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    Ah here. Musashi and Kokoro are in different leagues! Who wants their sushi wrapped in plastic and sitting in a fridge for hours?!

Very true!! Kokoro isn't bad at all for a quick feed, but Musashi is a whole other kettle of ball games.

Kokoro isn't even the best sushi place on Liffey St. - There's a spot, called Ichiman, I think, and it's not bad at all. Got one of those Groupon-type deals there and got the chef's selection and it was surprisingly good.

Advertisement