Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sushi in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nah, I've lived in Vancouver so know my sushi and there isn't enough of a step up in quality to justify their prices. Michi is also disgusting as they tried to sell me tinned tuna and salmon sushi in their 33 large set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Let's be frank. The average standard of sushi (or Japanese food in general) in Ireland is quite poor. I'm sure there are lots of reasons as to why but I don't know them myself. Of the restaurants I've been to in Dublin I feel the least bad giving my hard-earned money to Musashis. In Yamamoris I believe I'd be better served by paying them for permission to prepare my own food, but I don't have enough money to begin with. Incredibly poor value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Another fan of Musashi here :) I've been to both their Capel Street and IFSC restaurants. Capel Street is lovely and intimate and as, others have said, it has a BYOB option for wine (€6 corkage). The IFSC restaurant is much bigger and more modern and would be great for groups of friends. Unfortunately they don't offer BYOB.
    I've been hearing good things about a place called Okayu on the North Strand Rd., but I don't think it opens during office hours, when I'd be in that general neck of the woods.

Had Okayu once when I was living around that area, it's very good quality. I'd never had sushi delivered before and wasn't sure how it would be, but it was lovely and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Not an expert by any means but I did live in Melbourne for a few years which does have a decent Japanese population and plenty of sushi places.

I liked Mushashi (IFSC) the one time I was there.

Yamamori is grand but definitely expensive.

Place I've been to most recently is Fujiyama on O'Connell Street (above Burger King). Very tasty and lovely staff. Decent value too. Have been back a couple of times already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Michie Sushi I hear from a lot of people as their favourite in Dublin. We ordered it to work a few times and it was very nice. I don't eat meat so can't comment on that.
    Must try kokoro (v cheap) and musashi. Ukiyo was very nice when I ate in there, great. Did some karaoke after. :pac:

• Advertisement

Can someone recommend a sushi restaurant where they wont throw me out because I cannot use chopsticks?

I just can't. I've been trying to learn for ten years and I can't, ok?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Literally every asian restaurant will oblige if you ask for a fork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Can someone recommend a sushi restaurant where they wont throw me out because I cannot use chopsticks?

I must admit I am no expert in Japanese dining etiquette, but as far as I know it's generally acceptable to eat sushi with your hands rather than chopsticks.

I've heard of eating sushi with one's fingers before. Afaik it'd only be with nigiri. Is it even that common in Japan? The alternative is to practice with chopsticks! It's really not that difficult once you know how to hold them.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Thank you all for the recommendations for Musahi, I tried the Capel St. Branch on Saturday afternoon. It was as you say, sublime! Very good. It was pretty busy ( a good sign) so you might need to wait a while for a table. There was no problem in asking for cutlery. I am only a novice at sushi, so I'm not ashamed to ask for the cutlery. I will be back, I've found my new favourite restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Aard wrote: »
    I've heard of eating sushi with one's fingers before. Afaik it'd only be with nigiri. Is it even that common in Japan? The alternative is to practice with chopsticks! It's really not that difficult once you know how to hold them.

Japanese people from what I experienced over there are very concerned with dining etiquette and cleanliness. I never saw anyone eat with their hands the whole time I was there with the exception of street food which a lot of the time is served with a toothpick or skewer. I am still bad with chopsticks but gave it my all over there and returned home only marginly better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

anyone have any opinions on J2 Sushi on North Wall Quay? The glass building looks beautiful overlooking the canal and have heard great things about the quality of sushi there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

J2 in my experience - been there in 4 different occasions last year - can be very hit or miss, I don't like the size of the rolls and it's a tad more expensive than other options nearby.
    They once served salad with soggy old leafs (eeeek) and another time the bean pods weren't prepared properly. However they have some interesting sushi combinations and it's very pleasant to eat there on a sunny day.

I know a lot of people who seem to really really like this place, so maybe I'm just a snob or unlucky :P

Never been to J2 but have heard it's very expensive for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

anyone have any opinions on J2 Sushi on North Wall Quay? The glass building looks beautiful overlooking the canal and have heard great things about the quality of sushi there.

One of the few places I've been to that I actually felt compelled to write a letter to complain. I have no idea how they are in business given the outlandish prices and woeful quality. Walk a few minutes up to NCI and get much tastier food for a better price at Musashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went to Tani in Terenure last night for the first time and was very impressed. I would put it on par with Musashi. Ingredients were so fresh and delicious. Prices are very reasonable too, and they have a BYO policy (€5 per bottle of wine, €1 per bottle of beer).

Was back in Musashi this evening, and I'm still happy to call it the best in Dublin. Emphasis on the "in Dublin". It's still just "good" sushi, not "best ever" sushi or any other superlative. I hope that there's enough of a market developing in Dublin for sushi restaurants to start offering more daring (by Dublin standards) fish/seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Has anyone seen the menu for Dylan Mc Graths new sushi place, opening in Rustic Stone?

Apparently it includes otoro (fatty tuna) which I am extremely excited about.

Otoro was easily the most delicious mouthful of food I've ever had, lucky enough to have spent two great holidays in Japan and would love to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive seen articles and pics about it online, but cant actually find a sushi menu anywhere.

The actual restaurant menu only has a reference to sushi in a tuna on a stone main dish and a fruit dessert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

finally made it to musashi…and yes, theirs may well be some of the best sushi in dublin, very nice stuff, though i don’t think it’s that much better than yamamori’s, but probably a little less dear…yet i also thought their nigiri pieces are a tad smaller than yamamori’s…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    finally made it to musashi…and yes, theirs may well be some of the best sushi in dublin, very nice stuff, though i don’t think it’s that much better than yamamori’s, but probably a little less dear…yet i also thought their nigiri pieces are a tad smaller than yamamori’s…

Small sushi portion sizes seem to be the norm in Dublin everywhere. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Since my earlier post 6 months ago, ive been to sakura in kimmage which was decent for effectively a takeaway ( very small restaurant part).
    Also went to kuraudo across the road from the long stone on townsend st, got a groupon deal but it wasnt great.
    Went back to musashi and it was good again, definitely still leading in my eyes.

New zakura opened up on baggot st in the last few wks, thats next on the list to try...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

faceman wrote: »
    Small sushi portion sizes seem to be the norm in Dublin everywhere. :(

Also very dear. I've taken to making my own as it's a very cheap and delicious meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

retalivity wrote: »
    New zakura opened up on baggot st in the last few wks, thats next on the list to try...

The food is as good and the Wexford St. Zakura, and the seating and ambience is much nicer.
    It's only been open a couple of weeks and I've been for for dinner three times already, with another planned this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Also very dear. I've taken to making my own as it's a very cheap and delicious meal.

And possibly one of the easiest meals to make too! ;)

Yep, gone a bit mad making it the last few weeks, gone through two bags of sushi rice. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Are either of you using raw salmon? If so where are you getting it from?

Nah, I just use avocado and veg and delicious delicious ginger. Good pickled ginger available in the asian supermarkets.

• Advertisement

Taboola wrote: »
    Are either of you using raw salmon? If so where are you getting it from?

I mostly use pre packed supermarket fish. The freshest date I can get. Also there should be no smell at all off the fish. Any hint of a smell and I don't use it.

I'd use a fishmonger if I could but I don't live so close to one.

Advertisement