Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting evicted for boycotting Irish Water - Mod Warnings post #29, 95 & 108

Options
  • 28-04-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Good day board members,

I am new to posting on forums and new to boards.ie however I felt that I had something worthwhile to let the world know.

Today Tuesday 28/04 my estate agent asked me to come into the office with my bank details, a bit odd I know. When in the office the agent took me into a quiet office and asked me about the water charges and if I had signed up yet. I told the agent no, I am against the water charges and am boycotting them. The agent showed me a bill the landlord had received from Irish water and was I going to pay it? I asked for a copy of the bill that was in her hand and was told I couldn't have one (it was about 65 euros for 90 days water). The agent then said if I don't pay I would be given notice to quit, I have two months left until my year lease is up and asked if I could stay until then. she said no, who was going to pay for the next two months water to which I said nothing "uncomfortable silence", The agent then said that I have 28 days from tomorrow.

All the bills are up to date (except Irish water), I have been a very good tenant and asked will I get my deposit back and was told that she will have to have a word with the landlord.

My rent is due in a week, I don't think I will pay it because I don't think i will get my deposit back and even if I do it will be minus the water charge.

I have gone home, read the lease and it does say "to pay all rates and water charges (if any) relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement", however, even after reading that am still shocked that I am being evicted for not paying the water charge.

Mod Warnings:
    Post #29
    Folks, I understand this is a sensitive issue and people are taking a stand, but here on Boards.ie we do not allow anyone to post advice that is legally dubious or against the law.

Please post constructively, on topic and within the remit of our charter and the forum. Any breaches of this warning will result in mod actions.

Post #95
    Ok guys- please narrow your contributions to the Original Poster's query/quandry- and do not embark on a mad rambling thread about Irish Water. We have one of those already........

Post #108
    Folks I don't know how many times a mod has to intervene here before you actually pay attention - this is not a general Water Charges discussion thread. This is a very specific issue related to the OP and their specific circumstances. If you can't post in relation to that then don't post at all.

Any further breaches of this rule will result in sanctions being applied, there will be no more warnings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

you're kidding right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, if the lease says it, then you are liable, since you agreed to the terms.

Did the agent serve you an eviction notice properly, written with the full terms and dates?

You should still pay all your rent and bills. If you have a problem with the deposit, then you can lodge a complaint with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Man up, pay the bill & get on with your life. You are going to have to pay water charges at some stage of your life, so you might as well get started now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Moral high ground vs get kicked out for not paying bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

€65 for 3 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You're not being evicted for not paying the water charges, you're being evicted for breaching the terms of your lease.

You have to weigh up the consequences of each action yourself, but I honestly cannot see why you'd refuse to pay your landlord for the bill of a service which you use.

It's not fair on your landlord to force them to pay for your consumption.

emeldc wrote: »
    €65 for 3 months?

Quarterly rate for more than on person occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It's not right to leave your landlord with an unpaid bill for water YOU used. Just pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two choices pay up or (and can't believe I'm saying this )
    Get on the the media .
    The Hub
    anti eviction groups and so on .

Just keep paying your rent in the mean time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No sympathy. You are being conned by certain groups in to not paying water charges.

Ask yourself where will those public representatives be when people like you get in to trouble?

No where to be seen.

Just pay your bills and save yourself needless hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

No sympathy either. Your landlord shouldn't be liable for any of your utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Like you said, don't pay last months rent, your unlikely to get ur deposit back..
    Similar situation on a job we were working on. Single mother refused to pay water charges, so the landlord, (millionaire) not that that matters, Ff..d her out... :mad:

No sympathy. You are being conned by certain groups in to not paying water charges.

Ask yourself where will those public representatives be when people like you get in to trouble?

No where to be seen.

Just pay your bills and save yourself needless hassle.

lol so many sheep in this country... shame they can't be sheared and make some money from their wool..

You're not being evicted for not paying the water charges, you're being evicted for breaching the terms of your lease.

You have to weigh up the consequences of each action yourself, but I honestly cannot see why you'd refuse to pay your landlord for the bill of a service which you use.

It's not fair on your landlord to force them to pay for your consumption.
    When would water charges be in the lease a year ago? huh?

Steve012 wrote: »
    Like you said, don't pay last months rent, your unlikely to get ur deposit back..
    Similar situation on a job we were working on. Single mother refused to pay water charges, so the landlord, (millionaire) not that that matters, Ff..d her out... :mad:

Then what do you do when prospective new landlords ring previous ones looking for a reference? OP agreed to pay any future water charges, so must pay them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Witholding of rent is illegal and is not condoned on this website. Please do not post again advocating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Did you even bother to read the OP?

The lease, as quoted by the OP, clearly states that he agrees "to pay all rates and water charges (if any) relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement" .

By signing the lease he agreed to the terms including this one. By not paying the water charge bill he is breaching the terms of the lease, and the landlord can evict him on this basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you rent you have to pay the water charges as you can get evicted
    Best thing to do is pay up & use your vote to get this bloody government out in the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would urge every landlord who visits this forum to put a clause in the lease about registering with IW and paying water charges, this carry on of 'cant pay won't pay' is completely unacceptable .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

It's simple really pay the bill or move out. As you said it's clearly stated in the lease which you signed and agreed to adhere by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lol so many sheep in this country... shame they can't be sheared and make some money from their wool..

would you let the OP stay in your place for a few weeks till they get sorted out with somewhere to live ?

since they stood up n we'rent sheared ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hollybolly

I would pay it immediately unless you want to look for another place to live with all the hassle that entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And what will op do when they move into a new place and it's in the lease to pay the water charges? Renters need to understand that this will be a clause in every lease from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

And what will op do when they move into a new place and it's in the lease to pay the water charges? Renters need to understand that this will be a clause in every lease from here on.

It already is a clause "Pay all bills". There is no need to add an additional clause, its covered by the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

hollybolly wrote: »
    I would pay it immediately unless you want to look for another place to live with all the hassle that entails?

no no no - i think if you get evicted for not paying your water charge

http://www.right2water.ie/

give you a new place to stay and come around with a van to help you move n stuff

might be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

gctest50 wrote: »
    no no no - i think if you get evicted for not paying your water charge

http://www.right2water.ie/

give you a new place to stay and come around with a van to help you move n stuff

might be wrong though

I believe that is somewhere in a shed in middle ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Folks, I understand this is a sensitive issue and people are taking a stand, but here on Boards.ie we do not allow anyone to post advice that is legally dubious or against the law.

Please post constructively, on topic and within the remit of our charter and the forum. Any breaches of this warning will result in mod actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Did you even bother to read the OP?

The lease, as quoted by the OP, clearly states that he agrees "to pay all rates and water charges (if any) relating to the property including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement" .

By signing the lease he agreed to the terms including this one. By not paying the water charge bill he is breaching the terms of the lease, and the landlord can evict him on this basis.
    h2005 wrote: »
    It's simple really pay the bill or move out. As you said it's clearly stated in the lease which you signed and agreed to adhere by.

OP Have you received a bill in your name for Water?

How many flats or separate people are living in the building? Is this going to be the latest scam by rack-rent landlords where they get one single bill for all ten or more flats at an address but they charge all their tenants the bill amount and pocket the bill money? the bill you were shown is obviously for the landlord and is in his name so despite it being a condition of the lease it is not an enforceable condition as it would be unlawful to compel you to pay it.

Tell the agent that you will pay all bills in your name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP Have you received a bill in your name for Water?

How many flats or separate people are living in the building? Is this going to be the latest scam by rack-rent landlords where they get one single bill for all ten or more flats at an address but they charge all their tenants the bill amount and pocket the bill money? the bill you were shown is obviously for the landlord and is in his name so despite it being a condition of the lease it is not an enforceable condition as it would be unlawful to compel you to pay it.

Tell the agent that you will pay all bills in your name!

What will taht do? LL can easily provide tenants name. Lease states all charges to be paid, either pay or get evicted and lose charge from deposit.

Advertisement