Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclling in the city

Options
  • 28-04-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I was going to post this in another thread but was afraid it would detract from what the thread was about.

I cycle a lot in Waterford, I also drive a good bit. I had a near collision with a stupid woman who caused me to make a dangerous manoeuvre on the quay a few days ago. Only for the driver who was in the main lane braking immediately, I would have been killed stone dead. And your woman was oblivious. I let out a good few expletives and it was suddenly all my fault. She was parked on the bus lane and decides to open her door, but that was all my own fault.

I understand from both sides. The idiots on bikes with no lights, Hi-viz, using footpaths, running red lights etc... The drivers who undertake you at the Tesco roundabout in Ardkeen, even though you're about 20 metres from the roundabout, heading towards the hospital. The idiots who park on bus lanes and suddenly decide to open their front door not using mirrors), causing you to go out into live traffic. The idiots who take forever at junctions, roundabout and lights etc.. causing you to lose momentum on the bike.

I could go on forever. I stick with the law every time, but I have to say a certain sex are horrendous and just as bad on bicycles. They are going to be the death of me, because I can't win. Be it on a bike or in a car. I am sick of cyclists and motorists running red lights. Its a vicious circle. I cycle a bit in Dublin as well, and it can be just as bad, but rarely as bad.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Never really had any problems when I used to cycle down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nathang20 wrote: »
    I was going to post this in another thread but was afraid it would detract from what the thread was about.

I cycle a lot in Waterford, I also drive a good bit. I had a near collision with a stupid woman who caused me to make a dangerous manoeuvre on the quay a few days ago. Only for the driver who was in the main lane braking immediately, I would have been killed stone dead. And your woman was oblivious. I let out a good few expletives and it was suddenly all my fault. She was parked on the bus lane and decides to open her door, but that was all my own fault.

I understand from both sides. The idiots on bikes with no lights, Hi-viz, using footpaths, running red lights etc... The drivers who undertake you at the Tesco roundabout in Ardkeen, even though you're about 20 metres from the roundabout, heading towards the hospital. The idiots who park on bus lanes and suddenly decide to open their front door not using mirrors), causing you to go out into live traffic. The idiots who take forever at junctions, roundabout and lights etc.. causing you to lose momentum on the bike.

I could go on forever. I stick with the law every time, but I have to say a certain sex are horrendous and just as bad on bicycles. They are going to be the death of me, because I can't win. Be it on a bike or in a car. I am sick of cyclists and motorists running red lights. Its a vicious circle. I cycle a bit in Dublin as well, and it can be just as bad, but rarely as bad.

not a nice experience at all. to some degree i do think drivers have become worse with dealing with cyclists but to be fair there are many bad cyclists as well. i certainly have made some bad decisions while cycling. at least you lived to tell the tale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Airzound is the answer. Might not see you but will definitely hear you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jx_wFrbmPo

beazee wrote: »
    Airzound is the answer. Might not see you but will definitely hear you:

i like it. a couple of them would be some job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

As bad as this might sound, I cycle on the footpaths a lot when there's nobody on them :pac:, I honestly don't feel safe cycling on the road. Now I have a decent mountain bike with a suspension and not a racer, but none the less that's what I do, obviously when the footpaths are crowded I'd take to the road but on my usual routes I get away with it with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

You would want to have a death wish to cycle round any city centres these days I reckon.

At least you have some protection in a car.

I honestly don't feel safe cycling on the road.

know the feeling
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    You would want to have a death wish to cycle round any city centres these days I reckon.

think dublin is worse. some serious problems up there. not a chance id do it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I commute to and from work most days. Its a 10k trip each way.

I come in from the sally park side of the bridge and have to say that's the only area I have Issues with on the way in. Coming onto the roundabout on the bridge some people just cant seem to wait for 10 - 15 sec's behind you while you go through it.

On the way home its usually up over the carrickpherish road - across the bridge and out sally park. Again only one area I have an issue with is the big roundabout out newrath. I take the third exit and have met with many a person not happy with waiting again 10 - 15 secs. The worst incdent was a car trying to squeeze between me and the car taking the first exit. you can judge for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R51sHDwtBQ8 it felt closer then it looks in the Video

Other then that Its not too bad. When the Quay is busy it can get a bit dodgy but keeping an eye on everything and its grand.

Also a dual camera setup comes in handy if you do have an incident

Stokolan wrote: »
    The worst incdent was a car trying to squeeze between me and the car taking the first exit. you can judge for yourself. it felt closer then it looks in the Video

hard to make out from the video but i think our driver licence system and driving lessons system needs a bit of an overhaul. some pretty bad drivers out there. im sure i could do with some lessons myself. cyclists should be included in this system to encourage safer cycling as well.

The worst incdent was a car trying to squeeze between me and the car taking the first exit. you can judge for yourself. it felt closer then it looks in the Video

hard to make out from the video but i think our driver licence system and driving lessons system needs a bit of an overhaul. some pretty bad drivers out there. im sure i could do with some lessons myself. cyclists should be included in this system to encourage safer cycling as well.

not everybody can afford the cameras though but they are a good idea

• Advertisement

Agreed. Id like to see both safe driving and cycling be taught in schools. If we start teaching people at younger ages we might see a change develop.

Agreed. Id like to see both safe driving and cycling be taught in schools. If we start teaching people at younger ages we might see a change develop.

bang on but this is all mad talk! chances of implementation are probably zero. all drivers should be made resit theory test every few years. failure should mean mandatory driving lessons and/or re sitting of driving test. all this should of course be covered by road tax payments, i.e. effectively free. but as i said, all this is mad talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would love to cycle in Waterford but I'd be terrified.

When I stay well back on that roundabout for a cyclist when I'm driving, I get undertaken. Same on the ardkeen one.

Great idea having the camera, of live the see your entire trip to see how close cars get to you, that would make my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I commuted to work for over 7 years by bike around the city. Twice I was knocked off by cars turning left, and not seeing you beside them. I was knocked off by a taxi on the roundabout at the Folly, who pulled out in front of me without looking. I've had several close calls too, but at the same time, it never stopped me. Spread out over 7 years, it's not too bad.
    I think Waterford is a great city to travel by bike. You can get from one side to the other in less than 20 minutes, often quicker than a car!

I went a few different ways this week and one of the places that I felt at risk was up by hillview. A number of cats zipped around me just before the islands on the road and then squeezed back in just to save a few seconds.

I came down the cork road, the mall, quay and across the bridge yesterday evening about 5 and didn't have any issues. Felt safe enough the whole way.

I find as long as you keep an eye on everything and expect people to turn with out indicateing you can be safe.

Cycling around the city for over 6 years. Last 5 including a passenger on-board. Last year alone made 3,500 km around the area. I feel safe overall but constantly keep close watch on other drivers' behaviour. The stuff some road users come up with is mind-boggling.

So far had a few close calls where use of AirZound made them aware of my presence and prevented from escalating.
    Had only one driver reported to Traffic Watch (lo-call number 1890 205 805) who was later paid a visit by Gardai and instructed not to text on his mobile and ram the cyclists while driving at a low speed in the residential area.

Prior to that I've cycled 2 years in Dublin and worked for 3 years as a cycle messenger in one of the big cities in central Europe and have to say - cycling in Waterford feels safer than in any other place I've lived.

But still - one have to keep focused and anticipate other drivers behaviour. Once this comes your second nature - you'll be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

For the Sunday morning lycra clad hordes who must fill at least one whole lane if not two we have a solution....

https://www.facebook.com/rlucenaperez/videos/10206125731923886/?pnref=story:pac:

Cycling around the city for over 6 years. Last 5 including a passenger on-board. Last year alone made 3,500 km around the area. I feel safe overall but constantly keep close watch on other drivers' behaviour. The stuff some road users come up with is mind-boggling.

So far had a few close calls where use of AirZound made them aware of my presence and prevented from escalating.
    Had only one driver reported to Traffic Watch (lo-call number 1890 205 805) who was later paid a visit by Gardai and instructed not to text on his mobile and ram the cyclists while driving at a low speed in the residential area.

Prior to that I've cycled 2 years in Dublin and worked for 3 years as a cycle messenger in one of the big cities in central Europe and have to say - cycling in Waterford feels safer than in any other place I've lived.

But still - one have to keep focused and anticipate other drivers behaviour. Once this comes your second nature - you'll be safe.

do you think driving standards are declining in relation to awareness and safety around cyclists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    do you think driving standards are declining in relation to awareness and safety around cyclists?

Why is it driving standards & not the latter?

I personally find some cyclists very self centred in their use of the road in the
    same manner of people who run on the road / dual carriageway / cycle lanes.

I will add that I cycle also for recreational purposes.

Why is it driving standards & not the latter?

I personally find some cyclists very self centred in their use of the road in the
    same manner of people who run on the road / dual carriageway / cycle lanes.

I will add that I cycle also for recreational purposes.

id agree with you to a point. id be the same as yourself and i also drive. i think theres a problem on both sides of the fence here. i think the whole driving licence/lessons system needs an overhaul to improve both driver and cyclists awareness or we're just going to keep having accidents and possible more deaths. cyclists should be included in this process. i even make mistakes myself while either driving and cycling. both parties are entitled to use the roads. we some how need to find common ground.

i left the country for a year a few years ago. when i came back and got back on the bike, i noticed a massive shift in the attitude from some motorists towards cyclists. it was scary actually. i received abuse from motorists and had objects thrown at me for no reason whatsoever. very aggressive behaviour and very dangerous.

both parties have a duty of care here. blaming each other is kinna futile as it can resist changes that are clearly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

id agree with you to a point. id be the same as yourself and i also drive. i think theres a problem on both sides of the fence here. i think the whole driving licence/lessons system needs an overhaul to improve both driver and cyclists awareness or we're just going to keep having accidents and possible more deaths. cyclists should be included in this process. i even make mistakes myself while either driving and cycling. both parties are entitled to use the roads. we some how need to find common ground.

i left the country for a year a few years ago. when i came back and got back on the bike, i noticed a massive shift in the attitude from some motorists towards cyclists. it was scary actually. i received abuse from motorists and had objects thrown at me for no reason whatsoever. very aggressive behaviour and very dangerous.

both parties have a duty of care here. blaming each other is kinna futile as it can resist changes that are clearly needed.

i think people in general but especially drivers have gotten more ignorant the last number of years, they say cyclists have gotten a bit more aggressive too, havent seen any examples of that myself in Waterford but i cant really blame them with the ignorant drivers around and to be fair, they are vulnerable. I think bad mouthing cyclists has become a bit of a activity because we like to think we are so busy now that we dont have time to be patient, courteous etc what with having to update our facebook page and that. Speed of cars on the mall yesterday was high too, was walking up town and noticed it, then on way back i was crossing at Waterford Crystal, had the green man, car heading toward bridge parked on crossing (bad enough) then when crossing my daughter and i were nearly knocked down by car going too fast and broke red light.
    My attitude is, people are ignorant and stupid so install more and more things to slow cars down in the city centre, priority for pedestrians and cyslists within the city centre, its what every half decent city in Europe is doing.

Max Powers wrote: »
    i think people in general but especially drivers have gotten more ignorant the last number of years, they say cyclists have gotten a bit more aggressive too, havent seen any examples of that myself in Waterford but i cant really blame them with the ignorant drivers around and to be fair, they are vulnerable. I think bad mouthing cyclists has become a bit of a activity because we like to think we are so busy now that we dont have time to be patient, courteous etc what with having to update our facebook page and that. Speed of cars on the mall yesterday was high too, was walking up town and noticed it, then on way back i was crossing at Waterford Crystal, had the green man, car heading toward bridge parked on crossing (bad enough) then when crossing my daughter and i were nearly knocked down by car going too fast and broke red light.
    My attitude is, people are ignorant and stupid so install more and more things to slow cars down in the city centre, priority for pedestrians and cyslists within the city centre, its what every half decent city in Europe is doing.

you raise very good points there. bloody idiot driver! i was resisting the changes on the quay for a while but now i see what theyre getting to. it looks really well and pedestrian friendly. the sticking point in this whole thing is the bloody toll bridge. it should have never been tolled and that wont change so we ll continue to have traffic mayhem there at times

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Why do so many HGVs still drive through the center of the city? Many of them are grain trucks, are they trying to avoid the toll?

Many of them are grain trucks, are they trying to avoid the toll?

more than likely id say and understandable to. massive cost for a company but as you can see, the council are trying to rectify this with alterations to the quay

Haven't noticed that really. Maybe I am not cycling here long enough to notice? Or is it cycling in plain clothes that helps me avoid aggressive / bad mouthing / objects throwing road users?

Haven't noticed that really. Maybe I am not cycling here long enough to notice? Or is it cycling in plain clothes that helps me avoid aggressive / bad mouthing / objects throwing road users?

i cycle in plain clothes most of the time. have very little cycling gear. normally only wear it off road from time to time

Advertisement