Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary school

Options
  • 28-04-2015 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

How much homework do your kids have every night in 1st year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

No more than 1.5 hours, usually less. Teachers are occasionally out of school which means students can sometimes do their homework during free classes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

My daughter spends hours every night doing homework and studying for tests every week in every subject and at weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

your daughter seems to be doing waaaay too much work for a first year if it is taking her hours on end, or she is struggling to understand the work. The first year course is smaller than the next two so the children can be eased into secondary school. she should be doing roughly 1.5 hours a night and i'm not sure friday's homework should run into the weekend. She definitely shouldn't be burnt out with the work. I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

When I was in first year I got about 20mins of homework on a good day and 1hr to 1hr 15mins on a bad day. On average I got around 45 mins of homework a night. There was usually patterns in homework, Monday was a bad day and Thursday was a good day due to the subjects I had. My friends in other schools got less homework than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

She has 15 different subjects and has 8 classes every day all teachers give homework everynight and weekends U do the maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

When i was in first year, i got at most 1 hour of homework. Most days it was 40 minutes and additional time for studying tests. When it comes to christmas and summer i usually spent 1-2 hours studying for those exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

If she's doing that much work, you need to talk to the teachers and ask them what the story is, because it shouldn't be happening. Also, I would suggest that doing 15 exam subjects is far too much. Most people would do 10 or 11 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes, 15 is far too much. I did 11 subjects for the JC - 12 if you include SPHE which isn't an exam subject). I know someone who is doing 9 exam subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

yes, i am doing 11 for exam in june. Im not sure 15 is possible in any school unless subjects are taken outside school. You may be counting non-exam subjects?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 conorfinn1

Some schools do more subjects in first year then let you pick your options for 2nd and 3rd year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement