Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Lengths Hair Extensions

Options
  • 28-04-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for some recommendations.

Due to illness, my hair has gotten VERY thin. It's absolutely horrible.

I was thinking to cheer myself up I'd get a 1/4 head of great lengths? I only want it for a bit of volume/normality. I'm not looking for the Barbie length maines. I also do a lot of exercise now as a means of keeping well and after some research I think the great lengths is something I could maintain.

I want something very natural to make my own hair look thicker. Approx the same length as my own (just passed shoulder length)

I can't justify paying out a grand for this, but I would be willing to pay about €300 for a good quality 1/4 or half head of great length hair extensions? Can anyone help? Rough prices would be great. None online of course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm not exactly sure but I think you need to make an appointment for a consultation and then they'll look at your hair and go from there with regard to prices etc

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks Anna, can you recommend anyone who does the Great Lengths that ISN'T Ceira Lambert. Can't afford her crazy prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Pink11 wrote: »
    Thanks Anna, can you recommend anyone who does the Great Lengths that ISN'T Ceira Lambert. Can't afford her crazy prices!

There's a girl called Lorna who's based in Newcastle who does them for roughly 750 for a full head and 450 for a half head. PM me for her number.

You'd need a consultation. If your hair is too thin the bonds won't hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Not Great Lengths, but Easilocks here, very happy with them so far. Again, you'll need a consultation, but I've thin hair, also just wanted a bit of natural looking length and volume. I got 90 strands in at Easilocks for e270, you keep them in for 3 months, then you get them taken out and put in again half of the original price (e135 in my case). You can re use the hair for 9-12 months if you look after it. I went to the Easilocks Ebano shop on Store St in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I dont think Ciara does great lengths anymore she has switched to gold fever hair. Im not too sure about places that still do great lengths

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I want to stick with Great Lengths as I think they will be the easiest to maintain.

Does anyone know if a 1/4 head is even possible or will I be forced to get a half head?

I was also hoping to get in city centre if possible. Has anyone been to Hessions and know their price range?

450 for a half head isn't too bad but would Lorna do a 1/4 head? Newcastle isn't an ideal location for me though :(

You're going to pay more money if you're getting them in the City Centre. The other option is to ring the headquarters and ask them do they need any models. I got my first set done like that and it was 350e (just had to pay for the hair) for a full head.

You'd have to ask Lorna if she does 1/4 head but I wouldn't imagine she does.

TBH Great Lengths aren't all that. I looked after mine well but only got 3 months out of the first set and 5 out of the second. I've heard good things about that place on Store Street and will probably head there myself when I want to get another set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There's a girl called Lorna who's based in Newcastle who does them for roughly 750 for a full head and 450 for a half head. PM me for her number.

You'd need a consultation. If your hair is too thin the bonds won't hold.

Which Newcastle? Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, Down.....

Speedsie wrote: »
    Which Newcastle? Dublin, Wicklow, Galway, Down.....

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

ive had a full head applied with lorna, would not recommend :( they were applied too close to the root resulting in tension bumps for weeks before they grew down a bit. she also butchered them with the scissors after they were applied and looked horrendous. had to take them out, was disappointed.

• Advertisement

ive had a full head applied with lorna, would not recommend :( they were applied too close to the root resulting in tension bumps for weeks before they grew down a bit. she also butchered them with the scissors after they were applied and looked horrendous. had to take them out, was disappointed.

Was this your first set? Did you go back to her and ask her to fix them? I've never heard a bad word said about Lorna as she's been doing GL years and regularly at the academy and in the UK teaching classes.

Was this your first set? Did you go back to her and ask her to fix them? I've never heard a bad word said about Lorna as she's been doing GL years and regularly at the academy and in the UK teaching classes.

no it was my second set, i didnt go back to her as i just couldnt see what could be done other than remove the entire head and replace them and i couldnt face sitting there for that length of time again.
    i was very shocked that she later started training. i was actually a model for a training day before and as far as i can remember ciera lambert stated that the only cutting that should be done is at the base of the hair, makes sense as there would be a layered look at the end anyway because theyre applied in rows and are all the same length. lorna chopped layers into them and they were just butchered. ah well!

That's odd. I'd have gone back. You would have paid enough for them. Regarding the cutting, that's pretty normal. It was done that way for both my sets. They have to be chopped into the make them look natural.

That's odd. I'd have gone back. You would have paid enough for them. Regarding the cutting, that's pretty normal. It was done that way for both my sets. They have to be chopped into the make them look natural.

i thought because of the way keratin bond extensions sit that they should not be layered as they do not sit like natural hair, only the base should be cut to take the blunt look away. could be wrong, makes sense to me though! i had won the full head on twitter so didnt have to pay, probably why i wasnt arsed getting them redone! had just taken a set out beforehand that were absolutely perfect after 6 months!

cactusgal wrote: »
    Not Great Lengths, but Easilocks here, very happy with them so far. Again, you'll need a consultation, but I've thin hair, also just wanted a bit of natural looking length and volume. I got 90 strands in at Easilocks for e270, you keep them in for 3 months, then you get them taken out and put in again half of the original price (e135 in my case). You can re use the hair for 9-12 months if you look after it. I went to the Easilocks Ebano shop on Store St in Dublin.

Hi, after doing some research and getting a few crazy great length quotes, I think I'm going to talk to Ebano about Easilocks. Can you recommend one of the staff members there? I'm going to ring and ask to meet with one of them early next week.

Really nervous about getting this done. Hope it won't damage my already poor hair!

How long are yours?

No glue or beads right? It's a 'lock' around the hair, so hair is left to grow naturally. Have you done it twice then? 135euro every 3-4months is much more affordable too!

Do they hurt at all? When are you laying on them?

You can work away using your own shampoo too right?

Did you go in for a consultation or have you just been ringing around?

If your hair is too damaged the bonds won't hold or will put more strain on your own hair.

Went in for consultations.

I'm going in for one more in Cowboys and Angels next week. I really hope they can do a quarter to half head for about 400/500. They also do the golden fever ones now (same as Ceira L).

Heard from someone that the 'bonds/connections' are pretty big with easi-locks. and uncomfortable. So I'm after turning against that idea now :(

I'm so confused but hoping a consultation with C&A will make my mind up for me.

All of them will be the same. If your hair is too fine you'll just end up doing damage.

Go to Dylan Bradshaw for a consultation. They are well out of your budget but just see what they say. They turned a friend of mine down because her hair was too weak. She got them done somewhere else and she ended up with bald patches because the bonds were too heavy. Dylan's will give you a straight answer.

Thanks for info but I actually stopped using all heat on my hair for over a year and decided to cut off all the old raggy hair last week. My hair is pretty short now but at least what I have now is decent hair. I just don't want to style it and damage it. Each of the consultants said so far that my hair wasn't too thin and I'd be a good candidate. I've seen reviews and pictures of people with hair way worse than mine getting them done. So I think I'll be ok!

Hi Pink11,

Re the Easilocks, the bonds are standard size, I think, and I don't find them uncomfortable.

I had keratin bonds before, looked lovely but destroyed my hair.

I also had some by Issoni in Dublin (Terenure), but neither products or service was great.

I've also worn clip in extensions that I got from Lynda Murphy at Wigwam (lovely lady).

I hate having thin hair, so I understand how you feel!!

• Advertisement

cactusgal wrote: »
    Hi Pink11,

Re the Easilocks, the bonds are standard size, I think, and I don't find them uncomfortable.

I had keratin bonds before, looked lovely but destroyed my hair.

I also had some by Issoni in Dublin (Terenure), but neither products or service was great.

I've also worn clip in extensions that I got from Lynda Murphy at Wigwam (lovely lady).

I hate having thin hair, so I understand how you feel!!

Thanks!

Maybe I should go and talk to Shane in Easilocks? I hear he is the best in there? Can you tell me a bit more about your easilocks. How many you have in, for how long, what length they are. Do they hurt when you lay down? Any pain or soreness at all Was your hair damaged in any way? Were the beads or whatever you call them visible when you tied up your hair?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know every detail so I can make up my mind!

Great Lengths use Keratin right!? They destroyed your hair?

Thanks!

Maybe I should go and talk to Shane in Easilocks? I hear he is the best in there?

Hi yes I hear he is the best, but I think he's a good bit more expensive.

Can you tell me a bit more about your easilocks. How many you have in

for how long,

2 months so far

what length they are.

Boob length, bit longer.

Do they hurt when you lay down? Any pain or soreness at all

No, not at all.

Was your hair damaged in any way?

I don't know yet, I haven't had them taken out yet, so don't know the effect on my hair yet. But I went with Easilocks bc a well respected hairdresser (who isn't affiliated with Easilocks) told me they were the least damaging hair extensions.

Are the beads or whatever you call them visible when you tied up your hair?

Sometimes. It depends on how I do my hair. Obviously, I try to hide them.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know every detail so I can make up my mind!

Great Lengths use Keratin right!?

I don't know ...

They destroyed your hair?

Yeah, big time. Keratin turns into glue when heated. So my keratin bonded, heat applied extensions were actually glued-on extensions.

Hope that helps! :)

Well, for anyone that is interested....

I went for the gold fever hair extensions. SO far so good, look natural, loads of compliments about my 'hairstyle' and people seem genuinely shocked when I point out it isn't my own. VERY comfortable. I'm shocked with that part. I really don't feel them at all. Can tie up my hair and everything. It's been amazing to go from weak, lifeless, see through hair to this gorgeous mane.

I went for 35cm length (gold fever comes in 30cm, 35cm and 40cm - great lengths come in 30cm or 40cm). We had to cut a little bit off the length to even it out and make it look natural. The length is perfect for me. I'm really short and didn't want to look like a Barbie. Happy to show anyone before and after pics in PM if people are curious.

Because they are expensive, I'm a little terrified they won't last as long as I expect. That's my long term fear.

But I'm going to mind them. At the same time I think it's ridiclious that you have to buy a special brush for 50euro (bearing in mind only great lengths have products, not gold fever).I didn't want to do that. I think it has to be a gimmick. I showed the stylist my tangle teezer (the real official one) and she said it's definitely soft enough and many of her other clients use it on the extensions with no problems.

Now for the shampoo, this is where I'm still a bit worried. She told me Keraste shampoo is fine but it has sulfate in it. This is the chemical we are supposed to avoid. I used it once just because she told me it'd be fine and I didn't want to be a wimp and I think it's important to enjoy them and not be scared but to be honest I'm too scared to do it again. I can't even begin to tell you how mad I would be if they got damaged or slipped off because I used a strong shampoo.

I have an organic shampoo free of sulfate that I'm sticking too but it's nearly gone now and I need to get another. Think I'll go for the Redken colour sulfate free shampoo. About 50euro online for the HUGE 1,000ml bottle. I think it'll be worth it. Any suggestions ladies?

Would love to talk to someone else who has the extensions so I can compare notes. I don't know anyone else who has them!

Cactusgirl: it sounds like your bonds were ruined because you put heat too near the little connections. Heat will make them melt eventually. I can do whatever I want with my hair as long as I don't put the heat on or too near the bonds. It's been fine so far. I'm really getting the hang of styling them.

Ok, I've only ever had great lengths extensions, when I had them in I bought the great lengths shampoo and conditioner but it was way too oily for my hair, so I used loreal professional shampoo the whole way through and only lost 4 strands near the 6 month mark! It's all bull**** regarding shampoos imo!

Ok, I've only ever had great lengths extensions, when I had them in I bought the great lengths shampoo and conditioner but it was way too oily for my hair, so I used loreal professional shampoo the whole way through and only lost 4 strands near the 6 month mark! It's all bull**** regarding shampoos imo!

Agreed! When you think about it. Only great lengths have their own range of products so what are you supposed to use for gold fever!? (I know they are the same pretty much but you get my point).

Is it sulfate free shampoo ideally yes? (or sulphur). I'm getting confused but ordered that redkin sulfate free shampoo for coloured hair (has great reviews) got it on strawberrynet for under 50 for the huge 1000ml size. My last 1,000ml lasted me almost 2 years. No joke! If you get the good shampoos you only need a tiny bit of product :D

I forgot to say I did buy the anti tap though as I do a lot of running/sport and they recommend to spray that in before high intensity cardio to protect hair against sweat. Sounds like crap really but I do it. Do you use that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Did you go for a 1/4, 1/2 or full head?

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them?

Taboola wrote: »
    Did you go for a 1/4, 1/2 or full head?

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them?

Hey I can't remember the exact amount of strands I got but it was in between half to 3/4 head. I actually think I'll get less next time going forward just to save money. I've a huge (but natural looking) head of hair and think I can make do with less to save some dolla!

Great Lengths and Gold fever prices are the same but I went for gold fever because 1. it's a fully irish owned company 2. the colours matched better 3. they have a third length option which was perfect for me - explained above (35cm).

That cost me €600 and compared to what I've been quoted and seen online, this was a good price. If you look after this they should last between 6-9months (so I'm told). That's only 100 per month max (less if you mind them and get 6+ months). 100 per month for hair that is amazing, feels natural, comfortable, everyone thinks it's real, can wake up in the morning and hair is ready to go? Soooo worth it.

As said my only concern is that it wont last as long as they are telling me.

Can anyone else advise on shampoo they use and how they dry their hair? Is it ok to leave it wet and let it dry natural sometimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Can anyone else advise on shampoo they use and how they dry their hair? Is it ok to leave it wet and let it dry natural sometimes?

Thanks for getting back to me.

If they are similar to great lengths then you need to blast dry the bonds and then you can let them dry naturally.

Taboola wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me.

If they are similar to great lengths then you need to blast dry the bonds and then you can let them dry naturally.

No problem! Are you going to get them?

Yes gold fever and Gl's work the same.

Thanks for that confirmation. I've been trying to dry the bonds with cold air as we're also not meant to put heat on them. But it takes forever. Is it ok to blast hairdryer heat onto them then?

I might give them a call tomorrow to confirm. I'll put the info on here. As you can see I'm real worried about damaging them (i.e my fault they don't last!)

• Advertisement

Cactusgirl: it sounds like your bonds were ruined because you put heat too near the little connections. Heat will make them melt eventually. I can do whatever I want with my hair as long as I don't put the heat on or too near the bonds. It's been fine so far. I'm really getting the hang of styling them.

No, they were heat-applied to my own hair. Keratin bonds + heat application = extensions that are glued on. It was my first set and I didn't know any better. I'm very careful with my hair and would never apply heat to the bonds myself, that would be madness.

Learned my lesson though, no more heat application or keratin bonded extensions!

Advertisement