Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacking routes Meath/Cavan/Louth

• 28-04-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there,

Anyone know of any routes/beaches/forests/mountains etc in these counties suitable for hacking?? Or any places to bring your horse for the day, like XC etc (all I know is Carlanstown).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommy090

Or Monaghan too!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

There's lovely hacking around Ross House equestrian centre Mountnugent Cavan. Mullaghmeen forest is nearby, hacking distance with enough time to explore. They have a small xc schooling course, two outdoor arenas and an indoor. Can't think of anywhere else just at the moment.

talullah wrote: »
    There's lovely hacking around Ross House equestrian centre Mountnugent Cavan. Mullaghmeen forest is nearby, hacking distance with enough time to explore. They have a small xc schooling course, two outdoor arenas and an indoor. Can't think of anywhere else just at the moment.

Just saw this now! Thank you very much, I will check 'em out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

piperstown in louth offer hacking for a tenner- they're on facebook if you want to have a look. On the website for Mullaghmeen forest Coillte seem negative about horses using it- which is crazy considering the size of the forest that they don't offer proper trails. Horses are so poorly catered for here in comparison to the North in public forests. Have a look at Gosford Forest Park just outside Newry- they have a pay and go system there and dedicated bridleway trail and not far from N1.

Eshaness wrote: »
    piperstown in louth offer hacking for a tenner- they're on facebook if you want to have a look. On the website for Mullaghmeen forest Coillte seem negative about horses using it- which is crazy considering the size of the forest that they don't offer proper trails. Horses are so poorly catered for here in comparison to the North in public forests. Have a look at Gosford Forest Park just outside Newry- they have a pay and go system there and dedicated bridleway trail and not far from N1.

Thank you! Is Piperstown the XC place? Yes Coillte are a shower of so and so's to be honest.. I emailed them seeing could I get a permit to ride in 2 forests nearby, I told them I have insurance, it took them over 3 weeks to reply & they said no because of all the pedestrians, one of the forests is barely used by people!

• Advertisement
Advertisement