Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andromeda Galaxy question

Options
  • 28-04-2015 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This was on the cool pics forum

Is this true ?

So the smudge we see with binocs or naked eye is just the center ?

or is the below pic bollocks ?

67092_cool-Andromeda-galaxy-size-sky.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah it's true. Considering it is 2,500,000 light years away it gives an idea of the vast size of it. Courtesy of NASA:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0612/m31abtpmoon.jpg

Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yeah it's true, and Andromeda is by no means the biggest. M87 for example has 3 thousand billion stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

wow ... I would have thought it be smaller - appearing smaller I mean , since it's 2.5m lya ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

the_monkey wrote: »
    wow ... I would have thought it be smaller - appearing smaller I mean , since it's 2.5m lya ...

It's also c.200,000 light years in diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To answer the original question, the photo is bollocks. The galaxy would need to be much closer to us to subtend that angle in the sky. The person who produced the photo is suggesting that the galaxy is much bigger than it is.

• Advertisement

Angular diameter of moon - 31 arcminutes
    Angular diameter of Andromeda - 178 arcminutes

The galaxy would subtend an angle almost 6 times greater than the moon so the pic is not far off at all:

androm_zpsfdanxlgh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The galaxy would subtend an angle almost 6 times greater than the moon so the pic is not far off at all:

androm_zpsfdanxlgh.jpg
    Looks like a row of yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

androm_zpsfdanxlgh.jpg

The photo is both accurate and misleading. Yes, Andromeda is the right size in relation to the moon. But the whole field of view is only 18 degrees wide. With the naked eye you can see almost 180 degrees at a glance. A photo capturing that angular width would show the moon like this:

fXauIGh.png

Very few people guess that the correct-sized moon for a view of half the horizon is the one in the bottom left.

ps200306 wrote: »
    ...the whole field of view is only 18 degrees wide. With the naked eye you can see almost 180 degrees at a glance.

Well yes, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the question raised by the photo. The angular relationship between moon and galaxy holds regardless of the field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

come back in the future and it will look a lot bigger ;)

• Advertisement

Well yes, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the question raised by the photo. The angular relationship between moon and galaxy holds regardless of the field of view.
    I think Andromeda was compared to the moon in order to impress you with its angular size. My point was the angular width of the moon is pretty tiny and so is Andromeda's. Photo's that make the moon look big have a small field of view themselves. That's why people invariably are disappointed by the tiny appearance of the moon when they snap it with, say, a 50mm lens... especially when it is close to the horizon and the large naked eye appearance is due to an optical illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Something the width of 5 or 6 moons in the sky would still be absolutely gigantic though, its still a good meme, and fairly accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ps200306 wrote: »
    I think Andromeda was compared to the moon in order to impress you with its angular size. My point was the angular width of the moon is pretty tiny and so is Andromeda's. Photo's that make the moon look big have a small field of view themselves. That's why people invariably are disappointed by the tiny appearance of the moon when they snap it with, say, a 50mm lens... especially when it is close to the horizon and the large naked eye appearance is due to an optical illusion.

The moon is perceived as being large to the eye though, regardless of the fact that it's objectively small. So, the point being made, I believe is that Andromeda would be perceived as enormous in the sky, were it fully and easily visible to the naked eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Personally I find Andromeda the most fascinating object in the night sky that's visible to the naked eye, although it can be quite tricky to find for a first timer. Now I know experienced star gazers and astronomers could probably point to many other more interesting objects but I just love the fact that it's a whole separate Galaxy to ours yet it's still visible even at a mind boggling distance, containing many billions of stars and probably trillions of planets, and of course that's where the possibilities get even more fascinating.

vastly
    Thargor wrote: »
    Something the width of 5 or 6 moons in the sky would still be absolutely gigantic though, its still a good meme, and fairly accurate.
    The moon is perceived as being large to the eye though, regardless of the fact that it's objectively small. So, the point being made, I believe is that Andromeda would be perceived as enormous in the sky, were it fully and easily visible to the naked eye.

Ok, I take those points. I suppose I find it even more interesting that our size perception can be so illusory. Andromeda would occupy only seven square degrees on the sky even if it were face-on to us. In practice it's a good deal less than half that -- less than three square degrees out of 41,000 in the sky. If we brightened it just enough to be able to see it's proper extent, it would still be vastly less bright than the moon and not nearly as conspicuous.

I used Stellarium to produce this approximation of its actual size on the Sky if we could see all of it -- Andromeda is the white squiggle at the tip of the arrow:

iDWhFG4.png

(The Sun and star sizes are obviously vastly exaggerated here, being designed to show relative brightnesses and not size; the moon would be one third of the Andromeda height. The actual position is as of right now on 5th May).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Advertisement