Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New suckler scheme on per hectare basis!!

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Bullocks wrote: »
    At least one third will pull out again and the sad thing is it will go back to Brussels looking like we don't need or couldn't be arsed with a scheme .
    I hope our farming organisations are already bypassing the dept and Coveney and bringing the real reasons and better alternative suggestions out to Brussels

I wouldn't bet on the farming org's pushing the case too hard. IFSA are on the board of ICBF and it appears they did were not consulted or gave strong input into this complex scheme that appears to be based on Excel spread sheets rather than actual farming.

The last messaging from IFA was asking Coveney to set up review group.

I have applied and unless there are changes I will be opting out as the breeding lines I would need to follow v what I know is successful today will need to change... and financially my current way is better than the ICBF 5 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Andy Gray

tanko wrote:
    From talking to lads about this scheme lots have applied but will be pulling out of the scheme unless there's big changes made. Plenty of farmers think it won't be worth all the hassle and expense in its present form.

My reference cow number is 20 which means, after the deductions for genotyping, I will have €1,500 to myself for doing sweet FA. That's €9,000 over the 6 years for doing v little. People are complaining that they will be spending all of the money on replacements etc. Are they forgetting that they will also be selling on or slaughtering unsuitable heifers born in their own herd which they would have kept before but will now be getting rid of. These will go most of the way to covering the cost of the purchased replacements. Also complaining about the cost of a new bull. A slaughtered bull could make well over €2000 in factory. Put another €1000 with it and for €3000 you'll get a serious bull. Most will be replacing there bulls before 2019 anyway so it's just a case of making sure you buy a decent bull next time rather than any old bull. I don't think some of the guys on here have thought things through all that well!!! Ye must be wealthy farmers to say ye can go without such easy money!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Has anyone else's ICBF stars gone a little funny on the site? A whole load of cows stars have just disappeared on the 'within breed' section, but are there in the 'across breed'. Prior to this, the stars were fairly similar in both sections for these cattle.
    Nearly all the Terminal stars have gone AWOL too.

See?

dqZCuARl.png?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Kovu wrote: »
    Has anyone else's ICBF stars gone a little funny on the site? A whole load of cows stars have just disappeared on the 'within breed' section, but are there in the 'across breed'. Prior to this, the stars were fairly similar in both sections for these cattle.
    Nearly all the Terminal stars have gone AWOL too.

See?

dqZCuARl.png?1

There's a change in presentation.

Commercial animals now only showing "Across Breed "

Eurostars for Terminal not being shown on Females anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

LivInt20 wrote: »
    There's a change in presentation.

Commercial animals now only showing "Across Breed "

Eurostars for Terminal not being shown on Females anymore.

Within Breed is still being shown for Pedigree animals and Terminal will be shown for all male animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

It's interesting to see the changes, best cow in herd has gone from 2 star to a 5 star cow which she is, stock bull is now 5 star,

Cow marked for culling is now 5 star, 80% cows now either 4 or 5 star,

One mad fcuking heifer is 4 star but no way I am keeping her

They finally seem to be getting their act together, few years testing and we might have a decent system

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think they've gone too soft, nearly everything with 4 legs and 4 teats is 4 or 5 star maternal now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think they've gone too soft, nearly everything with 4 legs and 4 teats is 4 or 5 star maternal now.

My thoughts also. My concern is how can we trust the icbf not to change the metric in year 5 and the wheels come off the stars because excel changed its Mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bellview wrote: »
    My thoughts also. My concern is how can we trust the icbf not to change the metric in year 5 and the wheels come off the stars because excel changed its Mind..

Lol, a no win situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It's interesting to see the changes, best cow in herd has gone from 2 star to a 5 star cow which she is, stock bull is now 5 star,

Cow marked for culling is now 5 star, 80% cows now either 4 or 5 star,

One mad fcuking heifer is 4 star but no way I am keeping her

They finally seem to be getting their act together, few years testing and we might have a decent system

Don't you have a decent system already if your cows are up in the stars and you already knew it . Whos to say stars won't go down again if money runs tight for the scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bullocks wrote: »
    Don't you have a decent system already if your cows are up in the stars and you already knew it . Whos to say stars won't go down again if money runs tight for the scheme
    But is it not to a max of €95, sure the BTAP was to be mAx €1000.
    To some lads this is money for what they're doing already, others have to invest/ review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Farrell wrote: »
    But is it not to a max of €95, sure the BTAP was to be mAx €1000.
    To some lads this is money for what they're doing already, others have to invest/ review

70% of all female animals here are 4/5 star and 125% of cows calved in reference year are 4/5 star even though I don't think some of them are that good.
    I think the problem with this scheme will be when farmers go out to buy a 4/5 star bull to breed replacement heifers. If the bull goes down to two stars for maternal his heifers won't qualify for the scheme.

Advertisement