Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

noway12345 wrote: »
    For 50 metres.

Where you admitted you knew you shouldn't do it but did it anyway rather than wait to get out, called everyone who disagreed with you a guard, asked for ways to weasel out of it, then claimed the garda was abusive when things didn't go your way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's not because here I am again in the same situation! The establishment is being defended, you don't even know the details of the incident.

I don't need to, if the fine had been handed out incorrectly you would have been advised so in the legal discussion forum, since you weren't I assume it was correct, expecting people to be on your side automatically and help you get around a legal fine is just stupid

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why? The fine was clearly unfair.

So driving in a bus lane is ok if it's for a short time?

Your thread was ridiculous you went from wanting to get out of the fine to claiming it was abuse of power by the guard

How'd you get on when you went to complain at the station?

Why? The fine was clearly unfair.

You broke the law deliberately instead of waiting. You got caught.

Nothing unfair about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Spending money on fitness isn't a bad thing.

Your thread was just you looking to get out of paying a fine for an offence you deliberately committed.

Tenants aren't bashed often at all in accommodation and property. Landlords are, frequently.

I'm working class, just to add.

I think my point has been proven in the last few posts. Some people without having a clue of the situation have taken the establishment view while others who know the situation are mis-representing my case to back up the establishment!

200 a month disposable isn't middle class. You might be poor though. And are you sure you don't spend that much on something? Drinks and entertainment. Cigarettes maybe?

200 a month on gym membership alone! That isn't their disposable income. I don't smoke and don't drink very often.

I think my point has been proven in the last few posts. Some people without having a clue of the situation have taken the establishment view while others who know the situation are mis-representing my case to back up the establishment!

Who is mis-representing anything? People, myself included, are going on information you freely gave.

Wtf is the talk of 'establishment?'

For 50 metres.

Is there a part of the law that lists a grey area where its okay to drive in a bus lane for 50 metres? Of course everyone does it but personally when I do it i check my surroundings first and IF I was caught, as I have been, id accept the penalty cus im an adult who owns up to the responsibility of breaking the law no matter how small the amount or unfair i think the offense was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I think that the accommodation forum tends to be pro landlord. Landlords see it differently.

But 200 disposable a month isn't middle class.

Where you admitted you knew you shouldn't do it but did it anyway rather than wait to get out, called everyone who disagreed with you a guard, asked for ways to weasel out of it, then claimed the garda was abusive when things didn't go your way?

No, I expalined it all in the thread and I'm not going over it again. Your lies about the thread is another bit of evidence to back up my point.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    I don't need to, if the fine had been handed out incorrectly you would have been advised so in the legal discussion forum, since you weren't I assume it was correct, expecting people to be on your side automatically and help you get around a legal fine is just stupid

You're proving my point.

No, I expalined it all in the thread and I'm not going over it again. Your lies about the thread is another bit of evidence to back up my point.

Lies? Nope. You may want to re-read your posts in that thread.

And I'm done now.

Enjoy court and trying to get out of the fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seriously you're coming across a bit delusional there, you'd one person agree with you in that thread

Stheno wrote: »

Your thread was ridiculous you went from wanting to get out of the fine to claiming it was abuse of power by the guard

I can't talk anymore about the case because the establishment will be backed here. Ie someone will squeal. Backing up my point yet again!!!!

Seriously you're coming across a bit delusional there, you'd one person agree with you in that thread

No, we're all liars and gardai

200 a month on gym membership alone! That isn't their disposable income. I don't smoke and don't drink very often.

That's you. I grew up in a council estate and the working classes, my extended family included, drank, smoked and had the odd punt on the horses. That would, in 2015 euros, add up to more than 200. If the fitness guys aren't smoking or drinking that's what they do.

You're proving my point.

LOL i really am not im just proving that you are making a ridiculous assumption that anyone who accepts the fact they broke a law like an adult is middle class.

Your might need to grow up a bit tbh

You broke the law deliberately instead of waiting. You got caught.

Nothing unfair about it.

Driving in the bus lane for 10 metres shouldn't be fined, that's what would have happened if not for the guard having his lights on.

Who is mis-representing anything? People, myself included, are going on information you freely gave.

Wtf is the talk of 'establishment?'

You and some of the others.

• Advertisement

I can't talk anymore about the case because the establishment will be backed here. Ie someone will squeal. Backing up my point yet again!!!!

Blaming everything on the establishment....... let me guess your 19 and in your first year of college :rolleyes:

Driving in the bus lane for 10 metres shouldn't be fined, that's what would have happened if not for the guard having his lights on.

A little bit of criminality is ok then? In fact your attitude is similar to the Irish establishment in many ways.

You said it was 50 meters.

Is there a part of the law that lists a grey area where its okay to drive in a bus lane for 50 metres? Of course everyone does it but personally when I do it i check my surroundings first and IF I was caught, as I have been, id accept the penalty cus im an adult who owns up to the responsibility of breaking the law no matter how small the amount or unfair i think the offense was

Why are you continually proving my point? I went over everything in the thread which was closed so I wont be doing it again.

So in the legal thread it was sixty or eighty metres, a few minutes ago it was fifty and now it's ten?

And you'd never have done it if the guard didn't have his lights on?

Lies? Nope. You may want to re-read your posts in that thread.

And I'm done now.

Enjoy court and trying to get out of the fine.

Point proven!!!

• Advertisement

That's my point. 1 person agreed with me on boards.ie while loads agreed with me off it. It's not just because they know me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I remember watching the news where a politician was talking to a young woman talking about the class systems.

She said something like I don't care that I am not upper class I am ok with being middle class.
    Politician says well I would consider you working class..
    She responds with well I ain't working so how can I be working class?
    Cannot argue with that logic.

If you need to work regardless of income you are working class most of ireland I think would fall into this category.

If you own an estate or have a trust fund or family wealth then you probably could be considered middle class.

That's you. I grew up in a council estate and the working classes, my extended family included, drank, smoked and had the odd punt on the horses. That would, in 2015 euros, add up to more than 200. If the fitness guys aren't smoking or drinking that's what they do.

Saying the working class spend all their money on drink and fags is a very boards.ie or I mean middle class thing to say.

That's my point. 1 person agreed with me on boards.ie while loads agreed with me off it. It's not just because they know me.

Maybe it's because your point is irrational that the majority disagreed?

Point proven!!!

What IS your point?

That we're middle class? I'm not. I'm working class.

• Advertisement

LOL i really am not im just proving that you are making a ridiculous assumption that anyone who accepts the fact they broke a law like an adult is middle class.

Your might need to grow up a bit tbh

We're getting bogged down in a case you know nothing about. Yet you back the establishment view.

Why are you continually proving my point? I went over everything in the thread which was closed so I wont be doing it again.

Why is accepting you broke the law and the resulting consequences a middle class trait?

Blaming everything on the establishment....... let me guess your 19 and in your first year of college :rolleyes:

Stop proving my point, let someone else have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

See Dara below for an appreciation of Irish law, one minute in

A little bit of criminality is ok then? In fact your attitude is similar to the Irish establishment in many ways.

:D Criminality.

So in the legal thread it was sixty or eighty metres, a few minutes ago it was fifty and now it's ten?

And you'd never have done it if the guard didn't have his lights on?

No cause the others slowed down cause of the guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

OP I think you're being a bit harsh. I would be considered middle class in that received a standard of education that very few would attain. Middle class does not mean favour the wealthy or hate the poor. IMO middle class reflects an attitude more than a current state of wealth. If a family of doctors lose their jobs and income they are still middle class in attitudes. One of my lectures was raised in Sing street in Dublin. From an early age learned languages, science and anything else that took his interest. He studied in OXford and hadn't got middle class attitudes.

Middle class is an attidue that realtes to life expectations IMHO. Those life expectations aren't always intrinsic in origin but a result of parents, schools, friends and who you are.

Maybe it's because your point is irrational that the majority disagreed?

It's not but the middle class think so.

Ok, I'm going to avoid any discussion about the case that was already discussed in another thread.

Another example is the running forum, full of people with really expensive equipment flying off to fancy destinations to run.

Ok, I'm going to avoid any discussion about the case that was already discussed in another thread.

Another example is the running forum, full of people with really expensive equipment flying off to fancy destinations to run.

Omg, some people have money?! The cnuts!

I'm sorry you don't have as much disposable income as some other people have. That doesn't make people middle class, though. You just sound jealous and petty.

Instead of focusing on how much money other people have, do something to earn yourself more.

• Advertisement

Are you just resentful of people who have money to spend on stuff they like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Yeh. In the 19th century and before the elites and the gentry didn't work. That was about 5% of the population or so. The working class was everybody else.

Ye and it's not even too far off that at the minute, Ireland has around 10% unemployment so 90% or our workforce is working class. Although some of the work people do could hardly be considered work! so there's a proper divide for you, hard working class or cushy job working class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

People can spend 200 a month on a coffee and the newspaper never mind their hobbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Does anyone else miss the days when having an internet connection was usually an indicator of a modicum of intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I was a long time reader of Boards before I made this account.

I think this whole perception of the "poor" being lambasted on Boards is just another victim complex held by overtly left wing types who want to believe they're somehow being persecuted at every turn. I usually see it employed any time a thread or post criticizes our justice system in relation to repeat offenders, social problems involving travellers, scumbags and/or junkies causing hassle on public transport or the city center, Water charges, condemnation of rioting by African-American communities in response to the police etc. There are good few posters who just froth at the gash whenever a thread promotes the opportunity to go on some tangent about the "gubbermint", Denis O'Brien, the bankers, water charges, Enda & Joan, the USA, Islamophobia etc.. But then again, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Paul Murphy are the supposed unsung heroes of the working class. Anyone remember when those Eirigi dopes blocked O'Connell bridge after the protests ? That really brought the Guy Fawkes mask wearing mammy's boys out of the woodwork.

Not going against the grain or sticking it to the man does not equate to being right wing, fascist, bigot, whatever your favorite ism or ist happens to be. In fact I'd say there is just as much if not more middle class posters who fit the personality I described above.

I think the point OP is that the people who disparage the poor and welfare state aren't representative of the middle class. Those people are likely posting on boards because they have problems making real friends due to their opinions. I have worked in a very middle class college and I have never heard anyone use the term "lower class".

Sleepy wrote: »
    Does anyone else miss the days when having an internet connection was usually an indicator of a modicum of intelligence?

Yeah ISP's should stop offerring support with router and connection setups, would definitely help with this issue

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sleepy wrote: »

Ah.. The heady days of being the only person you knew in real life that had an IOL dial-up account so you could login to CIX or Usenet for a natter with Internet strangers....Ahh those were the days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I think that the terms Working/Middle/Upper class are just far too poorly defined and inconsistent, to be useful - even if they might help guide thinking/discussion up to a limited point.

The amount of wealth people have, or the income they gain, doesn't tell you anything about how much of that wealth/income they genuinely earn or deserve to have, neither does it tell you anything about how politically powerful they are, or how exploitative their politics/worldview or personal actions may be.

They're just categorizations of people, that aren't necessarily any more specific than categorizing people by skin colour, sex, or eye colour.

• Advertisement

I was a long time reader of Boards before I made this account.

I think this whole perception of the "poor" being lambasted on Boards is just another victim complex held by overtly left wing types who want to believe they're somehow being persecuted at every turn. I usually see it employed any time a thread or post criticizes our justice system in relation to repeat offenders, social problems involving travellers, scumbags and/or junkies causing hassle on public transport or the city center, Water charges, condemnation of rioting by African-American communities in response to the police etc. There are good few posters who just froth at the gash whenever a thread promotes the opportunity to go on some tangent about the "gubbermint", Denis O'Brien, the bankers, water charges, Enda & Joan, the USA, Islamophobia etc.. But then again, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Paul Murphy are the supposed unsung heroes of the working class. Anyone remember when those Eirigi dopes blocked O'Connell bridge after the protests ? That really brought the Guy Fawkes mask wearing mammy's boys out of the woodwork.

Not going against the grain or sticking it to the man does not equate to being right wing, fascist, bigot, whatever your favorite ism or ist happens to be. In fact I'd say there is just as much if not more middle class posters who fit the personality I described above.

I think the problem is that some people like you refer to people as left wing when they criticise the name in bold. A man who increased Ireland's corruption rating.

Advertisement