Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

noway12345 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to avoid any discussion about the case that was already discussed in another thread.

Another example is the running forum, full of people with really expensive equipment flying off to fancy destinations to run.

I've a bunch of friends when I was growing up who were very serious about taekwondo. Some of them would travel to tournaments all over the place to compete against a good standard and improve their skills. Pretty much all of them were working class, and this was late eighties/ early nineties before the boom. Most of them didn't have two pennies to rub together beyond what the scrimped and saved to spend on training. Were they middle class OP?

Tldr; sports people at any serious level tend to make sacrifices to be able to train and compete at that level. Given how little sporst funding is available they have to. It has nothing to do with class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

It's not but the middle class think so.

They do?
    You think the majority of people on boards are middle class because of a handful of views around exercise and a road traffic incident?

And that most of your friends have a different view.

I like your logic.

John is a mamal
    All dogs are mamals
    John is a dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ok, I'm going to avoid any discussion about the case that was already discussed in another thread.

Another example is the running forum, full of people with really expensive equipment flying off to fancy destinations to run.
    And what about those footballers, with their fancy footballs and clothes. Running around. On grass Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

noway12345 wrote:

Other people are flying off to fancy destinations to drink or sit beside a pool. As I said earlier I'm very much working class. I was running in Spain two weeks ago in my expensive running equipment. If I ran in cheap shoes there's a good chance I'd get injured. That doesn't mean I'm wealthy or middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Afraid I'm only on here a few months but I'd agree with the OP in regards looking down on others. Sad and I hope it's not a reflection of modern day Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think the problem is that some people like you refer to people as left wing when they criticise the name in bold. A man who increased Ireland's corruption rating.

It's more to do with the fact that it's another tired avenue to complain about the "rich". Michael Lowry is the one who accepted backhanders from O'Brien and the IBRC are the ones who sold him Siteserv for a bargain of €45 million. I'm not gonna begrudge a shrewd businessman, although I do agree his status as being a tax exile in Malta while being our very own equivalent to Rupert Murdoch is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

No, we're not all middle class w*nkrs. Just the ones circling like angry sharks around the OP's posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

With all due respects, some of us are upper class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Omg, some people have money?! The cnuts!

I'm sorry you don't have as much disposable income as some other people have. That doesn't make people middle class, though. You just sound jealous and petty.

Instead of focusing on how much money other people have, do something to earn yourself more.

I'm saying that boards.ie members are mostly people who are comfortably middle class and I'm backing it up with evidence.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you just resentful of people who have money to spend on stuff they like?

No, I'm pointing out that the majority of boards.ie members have plenty of money and their views on different issues are formed from their comfortable lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Ah not at all, we all eat, breathe and ****, it's just some people are too focused on our little differences, there's many more things that bring us together.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Does anyone else miss the days when having an internet connection was usually an indicator of a modicum of intelligence?

Looking down on someone who's working class and questioning their intelligence. I think my point has been proven beyond doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm saying that boards.ie members are mostly people who are comfortably middle class and I'm backing it up with evidence.

So far you have provided zero evidence apart from just calling people who disagree with you middle class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Theres a lot of wannabe snobs with airs and graces for sure.

I was a long time reader of Boards before I made this account.

I think this whole perception of the "poor" being lambasted on Boards is just another victim complex held by overtly left wing types who want to believe they're somehow being persecuted at every turn. I usually see it employed any time a thread or post criticizes our justice system in relation to repeat offenders, social problems involving travellers, scumbags and/or junkies causing hassle on public transport or the city center, Water charges, condemnation of rioting by African-American communities in response to the police etc. There are good few posters who just froth at the gash whenever a thread promotes the opportunity to go on some tangent about the "gubbermint", Denis O'Brien, the bankers, water charges, Enda & Joan, the USA, Islamophobia etc.. But then again, Mick Wallace, Clare Daly, Paul Murphy are the supposed unsung heroes of the working class. Anyone remember when those Eirigi dopes blocked O'Connell bridge after the protests ? That really brought the Guy Fawkes mask wearing mammy's boys out of the woodwork.

Not going against the grain or sticking it to the man does not equate to being right wing, fascist, bigot, whatever your favorite ism or ist happens to be. In fact I'd say there is just as much if not more middle class posters who fit the personality I described above.

Again taking the middle class view. Like the majority of posters on this thread have been. What's happening here? Oh uh, my point has been proven yet again!

Looking down on someone who's working class and questioning their intelligence. I think my point has been proven beyond doubt!

LOL where did he mention anything about class being linked to intelligence? The implication was when you needed to understand how the internet worked and how to access it that those on it were more intelligent or at least it seemed so. Dunno where you got working class from in that but continue with your persecution complex if it makes you feel better

tritium wrote: »
    I've a bunch of friends when I was growing up who were very serious about taekwondo. Some of them would travel to tournaments all over the place to compete against a good standard and improve their skills. Pretty much all of them were working class, and this was late eighties/ early nineties before the boom. Most of them didn't have two pennies to rub together beyond what the scrimped and saved to spend on training. Were they middle class OP?

Tldr; sports people at any serious level tend to make sacrifices to be able to train and compete at that level. Given how little sporst funding is available they have to. It has nothing to do with class.

Yeah, the running forum is far from a serious level of the sport.

They do?
    You think the majority of people on boards are middle class because of a handful of views around exercise and a road traffic incident?

And that most of your friends have a different view.

I like your logic.

John is a mamal
    All dogs are mamals
    John is a dog!

Ah no.

Ah not at all, we all eat, breathe and ****, it's just some people are too focused on our little differences, there's many more things that bring us together.
    Au contraire. I took my last **** in 1986. Needless to say, this has caused no end of problems maintaining a romantic relationship with Germans.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    So far you have provided zero evidence apart from just calling people who disagree with you middle class

I'm not going to go through all of boards.ie to find threads where the majority are making a laugh of people who're unemployed, live in less comfortable housing than them, support government actions that targets those less well off, that show off the wealth they have, that degrade minorities, that stick up for those in authority etc etc. but we all know they exist and it proves that boards.ie is a home for the comfortable middle class.

Again taking the middle class view. Like the majority of posters on this thread have been. What's happening here? Oh uh, my point has been proven yet again!

You have a very interesting definition of proof....

As in proof on the basis of zero evidence beyond your own biases

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

So, clearly the definitions are all wrong. Ireland doesn't have a class system, we're all 1 or 2 generations from either the slums or the bogs. Now there are a tiny tiny tiny number of people who are from actual old money who could be described as "upper class". So for the past 50 years, newly cash rich paddies have been classifying themselves differently based on what their parents did. Sons and Daughters of nurses and gardai or anyone with a leaving cert or university got to be middle class or professional class, everyone else was working class. That was fine till about the mid 90's, when more cash started floating around, and middle class didn't automatically mean more cash. We have had the so called "working class" as represented by trades etc make considerably more cash in the last 10-15 years than most of the so called "middle class" professions (carpenter v teacher? chippie wins hands down). For a proper class system, you want to go to the UK, where from the second you say what sports you follow, you will be categorized appropriately. I think we've got to have a new, 2015 uniquely irish class system...

on the dole = workshy scrounger
    working in a trade? = Flash git
    working in public sector? = workshy scrounger
    working in a profession? = capitalist pig dog, leeching off the blood of the workshy scroungers
    Living of daddy's trust fund? = Lah di dah uppity bollix.
    Business owner? = fn of size of business, you are either salt of the earth or a capitalist pig dog making your cash off the blood of workshy scroungers.

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL where did he mention anything about class being linked to intelligence? The implication was when you needed to understand how the internet worked and how to access it that those on it were more intelligent or at least it seemed so. Dunno where you got working class from in that but continue with your persecution complex if it makes you feel better

Clearly I'm working class and that poster was questioning my intelligence.

You have a very interesting definition of proof....

As in proof on the basis of zero evidence beyond your own biases

Look at the replies, 90% are proving my point.

I'm not going to go through all of boards.ie to find threads where the majority are making a laugh of people who're unemployed, live in less comfortable housing than them, support government actions that targets those less well off, that show off the wealth they have, that degrade minorities, that stick up for those in authority etc etc. but we all know they exist and it proves that boards.ie is a home for the comfortable middle class.

We all know do we? As far as I can tell a significant portion of the posters on this thread seem to disagree with your premise. Your unwillingness to actually look for any evidence doesn't actually help in that....

No, 90%are telling you things you don't want to hear, so rather than considering them you've lumped them into one convenient category, even when they've clearly provided enough detail to disqualify themselves from said category.

Nowhere in any of this thread have you until now identified yourself as working class or has anyone else.

Yes your intelligence was being questioned however not due to your class but due to the poor way you constructed your reasons for accusing people on boards of being middle class simply because they didn't immediately jump on board and support your position that you were hard done by a gardai. And then when this logic was questioned you reacted by throwing accusations around of everyone being against you and part of the establishment as well as claiming people were making your point for them by just disagreeing with you which really makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Spot the new money

• Advertisement

Seriously, get off the cross, someone needs the wood...
    Spot the new money
    You may have a point, Pope Alexander VI said the same thing to an ancestor of mine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd say a mod meeting on boards is like the reader demographic for the irish times made flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Seriously, get off the cross, someone needs the wood...

You may have a point, Pope Alexander VI said the same thing to an ancestor of mine :p

Was your ancestor in trade, I believe that was the ultimate insult

Prefer a pint not a point

No, I'm pointing out that the majority of boards.ie members have plenty of money and their views on different issues are formed from their comfortable lifestyle.

Or perhaps people say they have plenty of money....
    Try and think a little outside the box!

Was your ancestor in trade, I believe that was the ultimate insult
    Contractors, after a fashion.
    Prefer a pint not a point
    Doesn't everyone?

Proving your point?
    Someone said you made an irrational statement and people are dissagreeing this point because so.

I do not agree with that, you are making a stupid assumption.
    Posters thinking it stupid does not prove your point, maybe just maybe it just proves the assumption is stupid?

• Advertisement

We all know do we? As far as I can tell a significant portion of the posters on this thread seem to disagree with your premise. Your unwillingness to actually look for any evidence doesn't actually help in that....

A significant number of middle class people who look down on poor people disagree that a significant number of middle class people who look down on poor people occupy this board.

Or perhaps people say they have plenty of money....
    Try and think a little outside the box!

People usually deny that they have plenty of money, hiding the truth.

Proving your point?
    Someone said you made an irrational statement and people are dissagreeing this point because so.

I do not agree with that, you are making a stupid assumption.
    Posters thinking it stupid does not prove your point, maybe just maybe it just proves the assumption is stupid?

90% are jumping in to defend the middle class attitude that prevails on this website. Thus proving my point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A significant number of middle class people who look down on poor people disagree that a significant number of middle class people who look down on poor people occupy this board.

I don't agree..

I think people on Boards (rightly or wrongly) tend to look down on those that are unwilling to help themselves and the "Professional victim class".

Your post history would seem to put you firmly into both those categories....

Hence your issues and experiences on the site to date.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't agree..

I think people on Boards (rightly or wrongly) tend to look down on those that are unwilling to help themselves and the "Professional victim class".

Your post history would seem to put you firmly into both those categories....

Hence your issues and experiences on the site to date.

Professional victim class? :D What the hell is that?

What you mean is that the majority on boards look down on the unemployed, minorities or anyone they see as beneath them.

• Advertisement

People usually deny that they have plenty of money, hiding the truth.

Yeah in real life, this is online where people have no faces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What you mean is that the majority on boards look down on the unemployed, minorities or anyone they see as beneath them.

You're not in the place a wet day unless you're re-reg, so maybe take a back seat here chief.

Thread is grand for a bit of entertainment, I'll give it that....

90% are jumping in to defend the middle class attitude that prevails on this website. Thus proving my point.

You can keep saying this if you like, it does not make it any more valid.

What is a middle class attitude?
    You say you are working class so I don't understand how you can assume to know what a middle class attitude is? What is even more remarkable is you have come to this conclusion from posts on a forum!

No one is jumping to defend an attitude middle class or otherwise, people just tend to jump all over idiocy...

Ok so a thread has been made on boards.ie that can only be described as perfect timing. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057421718

So it looks like I was slightly out but 80% of those who've voted are middle class. You can even see some of the people who denied boards.ie was a home for the middle class posting on that thread.

You can keep saying this if you like, it does not make it any more valid.

What is a middle class attitude?
    You say you are working class so I don't understand how you can assume to know what a middle class attitude is? What is even more remarkable is you have come to this conclusion from posts on a forum!

No one is jumping to defend an attitude middle class or otherwise, people just tend to jump all over idiocy...

Look at the thread I just linked. Middle class attitude all over it!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Professional victim class - A person that, no matter what happens, it's always someone else's fault , there are always 101 mitigating circumstances that mean that they really couldn't/shouldn't be held accountable.

No...as I said - There is a fairly strong tendancy on Boards for posters to have little time for people that seem unwilling to help themselves or unwilling to take personal responsibility for their actions or to take personal steps to make a better fist of their current lot in life..

It's got absolutely nothing to do with who or what you are, but it's got everything to do with attitude..

If your posts take a tone that gives off a "look what's been done to me , why won't somebody else make this go away" then you are fairly likely to get stick..

However, If you post the same information but in a manner that says "This is what has happened , how can I fix this , how can I change things" then in my experience , the reaction is totally different

Well in your case even after admitting to being in the wrong you still insist you are a victim cus you got fined for breaking the law, thats essentially what it means where professional victims no matter the situation will always claim they are being hard done by

Thread is grand for a bit of entertainment, I'll give it that....

Right up there with Christians in the coliseum. Actually I think the Christians had a better idea they were losing the argument but I guess they believed they were right just as devoutly.....

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Professional victim class - A person that, no matter what happens, it's always someone else's fault , there are always 101 mitigating circumstances that mean that they really couldn't/shouldn't be held accountable.

No...as I said - There is a fairly strong tendancy on Boards for posters to have little time for people that seem unwilling to help themselves or unwilling to take personal responsibility for their actions or to take personal steps to make a better fist of their current lot in life..

It's got absolutely nothing to do with who or what you are, but it's got everything to do with attitude..

If your posts take a tone that gives off a "look what's been done to me , why won't somebody else make this go away" then you are fairly likely to get stick..

However, If you post the same information but in a manner that says "This is what has happened , how can I fix this , how can I change things" then in my experience , the reaction is totally different

No it's not. Most people who're unemployed are so because of no fault of their own. Look at the thread I linked and at the attitude shown to those people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement