Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

noway12345 wrote: »
    I just use miidle class as a term because it's easy for people to understand. If you want to put a different name to the attitude that prevails boards.ie then go ahead. It doesn't change the fact that the attitude is there and it's clear to see.

Ah I see, you are using "middle class" is a euphemism to mean someone who is unsympathetic to people on the dole or poor!

Bit like someone saying people on the dole are lazy!

Go back to watching cartoons ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And danger the nearest mod could fix it so that any post with the word "middle" in it spontaneously combust? Would bring the thread back to a readable four pages or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

VinLieger wrote: »
    Your the one who started out arguing for legal grey areas, id say tit is kind of a 50 metres bus lane kind of insult

That was a different thread. Is everyone allowed to abuse people on this forum? Or is it the middle class allowed to abuse the working class only?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sometimes people joke about what they truly believe. The overwhelming majority of posts are against the unemployed and more from a view that they take our tax, cut their dole.

You've not been here long....After Hours is full of piss-takers that post stuff that would get them kicked out in most other fora.

Take a browse through the Politics forum or the Irish Economy forum..

You'll see opinions from all sides fairly equally represented.. ...

If you have the patience, take a gander at the nearly 30,000 posts in the Irish Water mega thread - Opinions and political persuasions from all points of the compass.

Trying to compare the responses to a topic that you get over a cup of tea with your best friends to the responses you get on the largest discussion group in the country is an utterly pointless exercise..

Of course there are people here that will disagree with you.. That's kinda the point...Having discussions with people that have exactly the same opinion as you is pretty boring..

Ah I see, you are using "middle class" is a euphemism to mean someone who is unsympathetic to people on the dole or poor!

Bit like someone saying people on the dole are lazy!

Go back to watching cartoons ;)

No it's not. People with the same attitude I speak of, I called it middle class, are the majority of posters on boards.ie. I've proven it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Hey, what about us upper class over here, where do we come into all of this? Feeling left out now!

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    You've not been here long....After Hours is full of piss-takers that post stuff that would get them kicked out in most other fora.

Take a browse through the Politics forum or the Irish Economy forum..

You'll see opinions from all sides fairly equally represented.. ...

If you have the patience, take a gander at the nearly 30,000 posts in the Irish Water mega thread - Opinions and political persuasions from all points of the compass.

Trying to compare the responses to a topic that you get over a cup of tea with your best friends to the responses you get on the largest discussion group in the country is an utterly pointless exercise..

Of course there are people here that will disagree with you.. That's kinda the point...Having discussions with people that have exactly the same opinion as you is pretty boring..

Don't you find it strange that I'm the only person who's received a mod warning on this thread? Doesn't that speak for itself?

I wasn't just talking about people disagreeing with me, I was talking about their attitude in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've proven it.

You keep saying this, I really don't think you know what it means though

Don't you find it strange that I'm the only person who's received a mod warning on this thread? Doesn't that speak for itself?

I wasn't just talking about people disagreeing with me, I was talking about their attitude in general.

There's also a conspiracy theory forum if your interested, although its probably not available to working class people

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You're not - The original poster of the "dribbler" comment got a Yellow card (bottom right corner of the post) , the mod then posted a warning on the thread, which I didn't see as being specifically directed at you.. they just quoted the section of the thread they took issues with..

A yellow card is an official warning that could lead to a ban from the thread or worse...

• Advertisement

You keep saying this, I really don't think you know what it means though

The thread I linked earlier proved my point. I said that the majority of boards.ie members hold the same views. Them been middle class views or whatever way you want to describe them. Clearly in the thread 80% had those same views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't think it's a class thing, I think it's more in terms of education level you should be looking at the demographics on here. And of course education is often linked to class, but not always.
    Someone who is less comfortable with reading and writing is a lot less likely to take part in a written conversation on politics, or any topic for that matter, which may also require extensive reading. It's not to say they couldn't, simply the format here does not suit them.
    Also, professional comfort zones may apply : if you are professionally trained to use technology and the written word, it is more enjoyable and less time consuming to engage in an online discussion forum.

I know this might seem like stating the obvious, but I'm in contact with people with varying levels of literacy in my job, and literacy issues are more widespread than some might think.

There's also a conspiracy theory forum if your interested, although its probably not available to working class people

I've been posting on the conspiracy forum. No answer as to why I'm the only one with a mod warning?

You're not - The original poster of the "dribbler" comment got a Yellow card (bottom right corner of the post) , the mod then posted a warning on the thread, which I didn't see as being specifically directed at you.. they just quoted the section of the thread they took issues with..

A yellow card is an official warning that could lead to a ban from the thread or worse...

The mod quoted me and then told me to knock it off.

The thread I linked earlier proved my point. I said that the majority of boards.ie members hold the same views.

It really didn't it, that thread only proves the point that the majority of the people who looked at that poll which is a tiny minority of boards users agree with not raising the dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

No it's not. People with the same attitude I speak of, I called it middle class, are the majority of posters on boards.ie. I've proven it.

So you are just labeling everyone who disagrees with you as "Middle Class", could you not have come up with a new label that is not all ready being used to make it less confusing for everyone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It really didn't it, that thread only proves the point that the majority of the people who looked at that poll which is a tiny minority of boards users agree with not raising the dole

Then if you read the thread you'd see the attitude towards the unemployed.

So you got a "verbal warning" the other guy got a "written warning" if you like..

Just the mods way of nipping it in the bud - First poster gets the yellow card , the person that replies gets a verbal tap on the shoulder..

Fairly standard stuff across boards.. Nothing personal , nothing selective in it at all..

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    So you are just labeling everyone who disagrees with you as "Middle Class", could you not have come up with a new label that is not all ready being used to make it less confusing for everyone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not everyone who I disagree with. I've linked one thread as an example. 80% of the people have the same opinion on the thread. This happens to be the attitude I was talking about. That proves my point.

• Advertisement

So you got a "verbal warning" the other guy got a "written warning" if you like..

Just the mods way of nipping it in the bud - First poster gets the yellow card , the person that replies gets a verbal tap on the shoulder..

Fairly standard stuff across boards.. Nothing personal , nothing selective in it at all..

Oh right, well I apologise to the mod then.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

My hole are you working class. I've grown up, went to school with and drink with many working class people and they're not nearly as sensitive and desperate to attain some working class status like you're doing here.

You've proven fuck all while using a term you don't even understand to label anyone with a different opinion on how the social welfare system is run as ... eh ... middle class !

Sure you have, you have proven it and everyone on this thread stand corrected well done!

What you have proven is you have a biased or bigotry against what you think is the middle class but you have no idea what that actually means!

By your own defintion a working class attitude:
    noway wrote:
    working class attitude know that people can be unlucky and feel sorry for those that are unemployed.

A middle class attitude:
    noway wrote:
    middle class attitude looks down on the unemployed as uneducated wasters who are just stealing their tax.

The above is not stupid or even a view, it is litterally a demonstation of complete ignorance!

My hole are you working class. I've grown up, went to school with and drink with many working class people and they're not nearly as sensitive and desperate to attain some working class status like you're doing here.

You've proven fuck all while using a term you don't even understand to label anyone with a different opinion on how the social welfare system is run as ... eh ... middle class !

How does the card system work. This fella got a yellow, is it two yellows and then a red?

Sure you have, you have proven it and everyone on this thread stand corrected well done!

What you have proven is you have a biased or bigotry against what you think is the middle class but you have no idea what that actually means!

By you own defintion a working class attitude:

A middle class attitude:

The above is not stupid or even a view, it is litterally a demonstation of complete ignorance!

That's just the attitude towards the unemployed I was talking about.

It's not everyone who I disagree with. I've linked one thread as an example. 80% of the people have the same opinion on the thread. This happens to be the attitude I was talking about. That proves my point.

That doesnt prove anything, that just proves that 80% of people on that thread hold an opinion that you disagree with which you have decided to label "Middle Class" as it disagrees with your opinion on this matter.

All you know about those people is that 1 opinion?

• Advertisement

That doesnt prove anything, that just proves that 80% of people on that thread hold an opinion that you disagree with which you have decided to label "Middle Class" as it disagrees with your opinion on this matter.

All you know about those people is that 1 opinion?

The thread comments show that people look down on the unemployed, this is apart of the attitude I spoke of. There's many other parts. It's common all over boards, I used examples earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I bet she's middle class and has it in for scrubbers.

The thread comments show that people look down on the unemployed, this is apart of the attitude I spoke of. There's many other parts. It's common all over boards, I used examples earlier.

So its really the "Working Class" attitude towards the unemployed you have a problem with?

Mod

No discussing mod actions on thread please and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

In my short time reading boards.ie I've found that most of the posters seem very middle class. The popular view seems to favour the wealthy while there's a lot of looking down on the poor and minorities.
    Am I mistaken in my view? If I'm not then what's the reason for this site to be populated so much by the same kind of people?

Absolutely, viewpoints in the main tend to be right wing/conservative and pro-authority.

Alas, I feel that that is generally reflective of Irish society.

Also reflective of young people who have been fed on a diet of rampant individualism for the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

That's just the attitude towards the unemployed I was talking about.

I am going to help you out, I suggest you drop the term "middle class" as you are doing yourself no favours.

You are trying to pigeonhole an attitude to a class of people.
    You have a bunch of idiotic ideas bouncing around which is driving a form of bigotry!

You opened this thread on the bases of other threads where you where in one thread attempting to skirt the law, it seemed to annoy you that people just said "Pay the fine" so abviously this attitude which does not align with your own has somehow become a "middle class" attitude. No doubt you are thinking "Well it might be simple for you to pay an 80 euro fine you middle class toff but I have bills to pay"...

But in reality people who work hard for a living regardless of class or how much they make do not like the idea of someone getting a free ride!

If I had to pay a fine for driving in the bus lane so should you, I do not care what excuse you have come up with!

The idea you think the working classes feel sorry for people on the dole has to be as dumb an idea I have heard, I think most people regardless of class would feel sorry for someone that just lost their job...
    On the same token people on minmum wage could be eassily be angry at career benefit cheats doing the double while they struggle along!

So its really the "Working Class" attitude towards the unemployed you have a problem with?

No.

Mod

No discussing mod actions on thread please and thank you.

Oh right, that was my fault.

Absolutely, viewpoints in the main tend to be right wing/conservative and pro-authority.

Also reflective of young people who have been fed on a diet of rampant individualism for the last 20 years.

I think you're right. Maybe it is the majority of Irish people who think the same way. Maybe I'm out of the loop. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Working class, middle class, upper class - the OP seems to be doing a great job uniting them all into disagreeing with him.

I am going to help you out, I suggest you drop the term "middle class" as you are doing yourself no favours.

You are trying to pigeonhole an attitude to a class of people.
    You have a bunch of idiotic ideas bouncing around which is driving a form of bigotry!

You opened this thread on the bases of other threads where you where in one thread attempting to skirt the law, it seemed to annoy you that people just said "Pay the fine" so abviously this attitude which does not align with your own has somehow become a "middle class" attitude. No doubt you are thinking "Well it might be simple for you to pay an 80 euro fine you middle class toff but I have bills to pay"...

But in reality people who work hard for a living regardless of class or how much they make do not like the idea of someone getting a free ride!

If I had to pay a fine for driving in the bus lane so should you, I do not care what excuse you have come up with!

The idea you think the working classes feel sorry for people on the dole has to be as dumb an idea I have heard, I think most people regardless of class would feel sorry for someone that just lost their job...
    On the same token people on minmum wage could be eassily be angry at career benefit cheats doing the double while they struggle along!

It wasn't just the fine it was every forum I've read on boards so far. The same attitude prevails in all of them. Anyway, I think this thread has run it's course. Boards.ie is probably not a place for me. I've already got a ban from one forum and another 2 threads cclosed!

I should add that I think you're wrong on the class thing though, Irish society seems to be conservative at all levels, often "working class" (whatever that is meant to mean) people tend to hold even more entrenched right wing views than others.

I should add that I think you're wrong on the class thing though, Irish society seems to be conservative at all levels, often "working class" (whatever that is meant to mean) people tend to hold even more entrenched right wing views than others.

Are you talking to yourself?

Mods, can you please lock the thread now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Idk OP, maybe a more constructive thing to think about, isn't the idea of people being middle class and predisposed to defending 'de establishhment', but maybe people in general suffer various differing cognitive biases (which we're all universally vulnerable to, if not constantly guarding against them), which often make people predisposed to defending how things presently are (whether that be 'the establishment', the current practices of a business, social conventions, or whatever else..):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_justification

It wasn't just the fine it was every forum I've read on boards so far. The same attitude prevails in all of them. Anyway, I think this thread has run it's course. Boards.ie is probably not a place for me. I've already got a ban from one forum and another 2 threads cclosed!

You were given helpful advice on the fitness forum and then come on here giving out about them being middle class and spending their money on expensive gear and classes, thats some attitude :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No just wanted to add something and if you read my replies you'd see I was agreeing with you in the main...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

No just wanted to add something and if you read my replies you'd see I was agreeing with you in the main...:rolleyes:

I can see this discussion going 'round and 'round

Quick locker her down!!

Also wise up it's only a bit of banter!
    #bants!

God no, it's way too much fun.

dub_skav wrote: »
    I can see this discussion going 'round and 'round

I was DYING to make that joke.

Screw you for stealing my opportunity :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Middle class has very little to do with income, i know many people who if you met you would likely try to label as middle class but are currently unemployed and receiving the dole.

You really are determined to see everyone as being against you, are you from cork by any chance?

Not a Cork man, as he would have pointed out the Garda conspiracy of sending Kerrymen to Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I was DYING to make that joke.

Screw you for stealing my opportunity :P

would that be a philips, Flat or Posi screw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The poor yeh will always have with yeh.

You were given helpful advice on the fitness forum and then come on here giving out about them being middle class and spending their money on expensive gear and classes, thats some attitude :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They can spend their money whatever way they want. I wasn't saying anything different. They're middle class, not their fault.

• Advertisement

I know.

Advertisement