Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling holidays abroad

• 28-04-2015 11:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone here know of any good companies (Irish?) that offer group cycling holidays abroad?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I would recommend Mallorca it's unbelievable for cycling, April or May prob the best or it could be very hard work.Look into it yourself you will get way better value.If you can read a map you will be fine, packages will leave you fleeced and if you feel confident in planning the routes you will save half the price booking flights, bikes and hotels yourself.If not both Stephen Roche and Seam Kelly provide tours of Mallorca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I go over to Spain/Portugal twice a year for leisure touring. Its certainly not a training holiday. We bring our own road bikes, saddlebag and handlebar bag and do about 110km per day staying in cheap hostals/hotels/pensions. Airfares are cheap and for about €50 to €60 per day you can sleep, eat and drink very well.

if you want any more details of routes and logistics PM me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Thanks for the replies guys, I cycle a good bit here just for fun/leisure and was looking into maybe a trip abroad cycling- it would be my first 'holiday' alone, so i guess thats why I'm interested in possible joining a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I'd recommend a trip to the Ardennes classics in April. Try to base yourself in or around Maastricht and you could also do the Amstel Gold or Liege Bastogne Liege sportives. I think both events have short, medium and long distance options, and then you go watch the race the following day.The biggest downside of this would be the possibility of bad weather. I was in Maastricht last weekend and the day of arrival was beautiful, 20 degrees, sun etc. The next two days, it rained. There are a number of companies that cater to individual travellers, so that you could basically join a bunch of other people and the company would take care of hotels, bike transport, transport to watch the pro races etc. It can be difficult and expensive to get accommodation sorted by yourself, so going with a company seems a good way to go. Another option would be just to go to this region a bit later in the year, you'd probably be more sure of the weather and prices might be lower, but might not be so interesting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

A few from my club have flown into Malaga to be met by this firm
    http://www.andaluciancyclingexperience.com . Some went individually and he groups different attendees on experience etc for different accompanied routes. All had only good things to say although can be a little pricey.
    Ps you book your own flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I've heard good reports about this company and the "Raids" they run.... http://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/cycling/raid-alpine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Loving the recommendations guys, keep em coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Club member of ours runs this one, has had great reviews.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orihuela-Costa-Cycling-Camp/642162952501358?sk=timeline

Advertisement