Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaning apple tree

Options
  • 28-04-2015 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

hi, i have a apple tree thats leaning sideways with roots up at one side after last years storm, its about 50 years old. i was wondering how could i straighten it up and bury the roots again to make it more stable as its a healthy tree with loads of blossoms,lost 4 other apple trees that were flattened to the ground so ii like to keep this 1 for sentimental reasons if i can. thanks for replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I'd wait until we get a few days of heavy rain so there is less damage to the roots when you push it up to its upright position. Good support in the correct possition would be required for a couple of years, so a couple of strong stakes should be hammered in with a latt of wood between the two posts tied to the trunk of the tree. Old nylon tights make cheap tree support ties and I'd guess a tree that age would be too big for standart purpose made tree ties. Without support it will probably get blown over again. A good mulch of well rotted manure on the soil around the tree would also help it recover from the root damage from all the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

would nylon tights hold a 50 year old tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Only used them to tie younger trees to stakes. They seem to have been good enough to keep the young trees I have supported standing. A bigger tree should move less in the wind, but I see you do have a point that the tie would need to be stronger when a strong wind does eventually move the bigger tree. The advantage with the tights I find is they do not cut into the bark like other materials and can be left alone until the tree is strong enough to remove all of the support. Maybe a few lengths of tights tied around the trunk at the same time would be stronger and more suited to a bigger tree.

Advertisement