Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong tooth pulled?

• 29-04-2015 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I am having issues chewing. I bite down on the inside of my cheek. I cant close my teeth down tight with out taking a bite of myself instead. Really annoying when eating. My dentist looked at the rear of the mouth and said that its best the wisdom tooth is removed to create space and it wasnt fully through... so I asked him to double check to make sure it was the wisdom tooth that was chewing on my cheek as I though it was one of the other teeth on top catching my skin.. he said it was the tooth in front of the wisdom tooth.. he gave me the option of which one to pull... I said none if I dont have to.. I just dont want to be bitting my inner cheek... so I said id leave it to him as he is the expert to deside best choice. The tooth infront of the wisdom tooth got pulled..

Now the anesthetic has worn off I am still catching my cheek exactly as before... im concerned ive had a tooth pulled for no reason..

Should the dentist leave it down to the patient to choose what teeth to pull until no teeth are left in that area?? I would of expected the dentist to see exactly what the issue is and make a clear decision to present to me.. im kinda annoyed that ive lost a good tooth and still in same predicament.

Id admit im not a regular visitor to the dentist.. if like your thoughts on the situation please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

We are getting a one sided story here but if it is as you say then no the dentist should not have left it to you to decide which tooth to remove...
    The dentist is in a far better position to diagnose your problem from a knowledge, experience, clinical and radiographic viewpoint....
    I had a patient in last week, dentist referred him to have a lower molar out, he was convinced that a lower tooth was hurting him, a few questions and examination later and I could see an obvious and untreatable fracture of an upper tooth causing the problem... I removed that one....
    A patient is always part of the decision process but never makes the decision alone....
    stezie wrote: »
    I am having issues chewing. I bite down on the inside of my cheek. I cant close my teeth down tight with out taking a bite of myself instead. Really annoying when eating. My dentist looked at the rear of the mouth and said that its best the wisdom tooth is removed to create space and it wasnt fully through... so I asked him to double check to make sure it was the wisdom tooth that was chewing on my cheek as I though it was one of the other teeth on top catching my skin.. he said it was the tooth in front of the wisdom tooth.. he gave me the option of which one to pull... I said none if I dont have to.. I just dont want to be bitting my inner cheek... so I said id leave it to him as he is the expert to deside best choice. The tooth infront of the wisdom tooth got pulled..

Now the anesthetic has worn off I am still catching my cheek exactly as before... im concerned ive had a tooth pulled for no reason..

Should the dentist leave it down to the patient to choose what teeth to pull until no teeth are left in that area?? I would of expected the dentist to see exactly what the issue is and make a clear decision to present to me.. im kinda annoyed that ive lost a good tooth and still in same predicament.

Id admit im not a regular visitor to the dentist.. if like your thoughts on the situation please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You most likely have a swollen cheek from the extraction and the time you were biting on it from before. Give it a few days to settle down and I would say you problems will be gone.

Advertisement