Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden poles

• 29-04-2015 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm looking for wooden poles like oversize wooden dowels about 40-50mm diameter for a design I'm working on, preferably in white oak. I was working in Germany a few years back and used to be able to buy them in hardware stores but have not been able to find them here yet.

I looked at broom handles but they're generally not of the quality I'm after. Also curtain rails but with the finials and such they can be really pricey and I don't want to just waste the spare parts. I'd also prefer they were unfinished. Anyone know any places that might stock such a thing?

I was going to post this in the timber thread but figured it might be an unusual request. I can delete it and move the request there if the mods prefer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would shovel or digging fork handles be suitable, most hardware shops stock them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

They'd be the right dimension alright. I'd hazard a guess that similar to the broom handles though they're probably made of cheap wood. I'll look into it though. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fork handles
    Advent-2012-300x207.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Advent-2012-300x207.jpg

Someone had to lol, although I was thinking the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

What length do they need to be?

• Advertisement

Well I'll be cutting them to lengths of about 120-200mm. Would be nice if I could buy them in longer lengths and cut them myself though.

I just realised what I was buying in Germany was probably round hand rails. Pretty much this is exactly what I'm looking for. A local supplier would be ideal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

legologic wrote: »
    They'd be the right dimension alright. I'd hazard a guess that similar to the broom handles though they're probably made of cheap wood.
    i *think* the handles woodies sell are ash; they're thicker than broom handles though.

It might do the job! There's a woodies not too from me here. Will go up and check em out later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Would 4' lengths do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you try an older hardware shop they might have hayrake handles. These are about 7' long from memory. You might have to drive into the sticks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/timber/wooden-dowels/ was mentioned in a post here before.

Checked out the local Woodies, found the spade handles and while they are ash they're finished with some sort of varnish unfortunately. I did find 45mmø 6' wood poles there though they were knotty oul pine. Ah well.
    woodturner wrote: »
    Would 4' lengths do?
    They probably would yeah.
    recipio wrote: »
    If you try an older hardware shop they might have hayrake handles. These are about 7' long from memory. You might have to drive into the sticks !
    Feel these might suffer from the same fate as the shovel handles above but thank you for the suggestion.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    http://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/timber/wooden-dowels/ was mentioned in a post here before.
    This is great!!! Thanks a lot. I'll most likely order from here. Much better priced than I've seen other places too.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I really appreciate it so much.

Advertisement