Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV over 30?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any provision to get a WHV when over 30? Can you furnish a letter still explaining why you didnt take it up? Anyone know what is the absolute cut off in age they wont consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Very very highly unlikely (rules are rules), try Canadaka instead as their WHV is open to <35.
    Is a bit colder, though seen a nice sandy beach on the West Coast and it was 20oC (in April) on that day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks, had a look there and seems Canada might be a better option for me

If you've just turned 30, could try a fancy letter, but wouldn't stock up on the Speedos™ or anything...
    Melbo has a bit of a euro/canadian city feel about it anyway, bit like Tor'. VC is pretty decent place.
    Sydney and the East Coast though is much more 'Summer Bay' than Melbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I'm living with a friend in Sydney who arrived 2 weeks before his 32nd birthday recently.

minzabud wrote: »
    I'm living with a friend in Sydney who arrived 2 weeks before his 32nd birthday recently.

But does he have the whv visa stamp in his passport?

You can technically apply at 29 & 11mths of age, receive it a few months later, and then wait a while before actually using it, perhaps up to 1yr or so.

Otherwise, it sounds like either fraud or they made an very unlikely exception for him...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the visa first website
    As long as you get your working holiday visa granted before you turn 31 there is absolutely no problem. Once the visa is approved you will have 12 months to enter Australia and it will only start on the date you arrive and will be valid for 1 year from then on.

So Minzabud's friend wasn't doing anything illegal.

true enough forgot 18-30 (inclusive), think I waited about 6mths when got mine years ago date stamped on arrival.
    If you're already 31+ though and considering, chances not so good...

yeah I'm a bit above 32 so would likely be wasting my time with Oz. Will give Canada a try as I'm only just past 35 so hopefully with a letter they'll allow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The NZ visa you get through Bunac is 18-35 inclusive.

They can be hard to get though.

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand/working-holiday-nz/visas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I'm a bit above 32 so would likely be wasting my time with Oz. Will give Canada a try as I'm only just past 35 so hopefully with a letter they'll allow.

The Canadian visa application only happens once a year. All of the visas for this year have been taken. There was a first and second round and all of the visas were gone in about 12 minutes for each round so you'll have to wait til next year to apply for it. Do you have any qualifications?

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a Masters. I actually had a Canadian visa at 34 but didnt go because I needed to sort out a medical condition here which ended up taking 2 years of waiting lists to sort.
    Is there a second tranche of visas expected in this year or would I literally have to wait 11 months? Also during the round a few weeks ago was there people left dissappointed? Whats happened, did they reduce the numbers or has Canada just got more popular than ever?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I have a Masters. I actually had a Canadian visa at 34 but didnt go because I needed to sort out a medical condition here which ended up taking 2 years of waiting lists to sort.
    Is there a second tranche of visas expected in this year or would I literally have to wait 11 months? Also during the round a few weeks ago was there people left dissappointed? Whats happened, did they reduce the numbers or has Canada just got more popular than ever?

No that's the way it's been for a few years now as far as I know.So you are 37? Looks like your only option is through the skilled route which will require a fair bit of research to see if your qualifications are needed in either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

There is 2 rounds in the Canadian visa, the first one closed in 12 minutes, the second one is still open!
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=ie&cat=wh

Still over 2000 places yet, last year both of them went fast, it's very different this year,

The problem is age though, I have not applied to Canada but the seem strict!

bladebrew wrote: »
    There is 2 rounds in the Canadian visa, the first one closed in 12 minutes, the second one is still open!
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=ie&cat=wh

Still over 2000 places yet, last year both of them went fast, it's very different this year,

The problem is age though, I have not applied to Canada but the seem strict!

Thanks for correcting that. I thought all of the visas had been taken. I don't think it will make much difference to the OP as he is too old to apply for one.

Yeah Im 2 yrs over, I actually had a visa in a at 35 but couldnt use it due to a medical condition that was getting sorted, which it only just has now. Anyone know if they are strict, strict or if furnishing evidence of this might give me some chance? If so is there a facility online to do so or how would I go about it? Perhaps using a visa agency might be better given the circumstances?

No harm in trying however unlikely with a simple letter/email enquiry, no need for an agency just for a simple work-holiday visa.
    Bear in mind you can also use standard 'holiday only' visa, good for 3-6mths to anywhere new-world-ish, just can't work on it.

Remember hearing back in the 80's of folks getting removed from planes/gates after authorities found their bricklaying tools in luggage.

Advertisement