Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 and want to move out asap.

Options
  • 29-04-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Stuck in a little dilemma, I am 24, graduated from college and am working in the financial industry. Still living at home, I pay around 350 euro a month rent plus I help out with some of the bills etc. When all is said and done I usually pay around 500quid to live at home. I don't mind that part at all, I would however like to be spending that much and having my own place.

Problem is in order to move out I would need someone to move with me as my job wouldn't pay enough for my own place by myself. Obvious answer would be my girlfriend who is the same age,just graduated and working in the same industry. However she doesn't have to pay any rent at home and actually still gets an allowance albeit a small one. Point being she has no interest in moving out in the foreseeable future. Her parents think they are doing her a favour not charging any rent as they believe she is saving it for a deposit, I know for a fact she isn't at all and that she won't want to move until her parents make her. Her brother and sister didn't leave until 28 and 29 so to her thats grand. To me that isn't. Will I be waiting 4 years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There are plenty of house shares on daft.ie Yes Yes it would mean living with strangers but people do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

House share with a bunch of working lads, you will have great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Get a house share. You don't say where you are but I'm assuming it's Dublin. If so, your rent plus bills etc will be a small bit more then €500 a month but not drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Since you both live with your parents, moving into a house share with your own room might show your girlfriend the benefits of a bedroom in your own place. It could convince her to move out and into a place with you.

Mod Note: Please keep it civil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

OP, it sounds like you need relationship advice rather than accommodation advice!

You seem to have a sensible attitude to your finances, and an eye on the future, whereas your girlfriend seems to be happy to "spend it when she has it" à la Charlie McCreevy.

It may just be immaturity on her part or it may be her fundamental character, but differing financial philosophies are rarely the bedrock of a good relationship. If she's sponging off her parents now, and you're expecting her to be 50-50 when you eventually live together, she's going to get quite the shock.

I've seen a number of relationships where one person was in a good job, earning good money, and the other partner was spending it all. That's grand as long as both are happy with what they get overall out of the arrangement, but what happens when the economy hits the buffers (as it surely will again at some point) and all of a sudden there isn't so much cash coming in?

I'm not judging your girlfriend or your relationship here, but sooner or later you will have to agree ground rules on finances - and to my mind, sooner is better. I would approach her about moving in together and see what she says. You're right to want to stand on your own two feet at the quarter century mark. She may surprise you by wanting the same thing, or you may find that she's a sponger and a wastrel and not worth your time! :P

BTW, if you do move in together, rent for now. If your respective attitudes to finances are incompatible, you don't want to be stuck having to offload a property and all the crap that goes with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look for a house share on Daft.ie.

Upgrade the girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One thing to be mindful of,
    If you're moving into a house share, you can't assume that your housemates will be happy to have your girlfriend unofficially move in with you rent free.

Your girlfriend might spend her free time at your house to get away from her family (while still having the benefits of having them cook and clean and pay for her) and piss off your housemates

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Gael23 wrote: »
    Get a house share. You don't say where you are but I'm assuming it's Dublin. If so, your rent plus bills etcwikl be a small bit more then €500 a month but not drastically.

Yeah house share seems the most obvious thing around now, I do see the positives but experiences my brother had house sharing would be enough to put me off the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Yeah house share seems the most obvious thing around now, I do see the positives but experiences my brother had house sharing would be enough to put me off the idea.

There's few things worse than a man who has moved from his mother's house and in with a partner. Live a little, share with some lads your own age. Your brother may have had a bad experience but that's the tapestry of life. Thousands and thousands of people share and have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yet you're considering house sharing with someone who doesn't pay a cent in rent who still gets pocket money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

the_syco wrote: »
    Yet you're considering house sharing with someone who doesn't pay a cent in rent who still gets pocket money?

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Touche
    As said, rent a place with a some people who work 9-5 as well, preferably somewhere that has decent transport links, and not too far away from a pub.

If you're working in Dublin, check if you can get a place within 30 minutes walk of the city centre - the ability to walk home after a late-night session is often a plus. Just ensure you're in a nice place.

As mentioned above, the girlfriend can pop over for the odd night, but she won't be able to make it a habit unless the other lads don't mind.

Advertisement