Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank o rourke race in wexford this Sunday

• 29-04-2015 5:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

Looks like it's going to be a tough one. New coarse aswell

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It was a good tough race last year in A3. Lots of attacking and moves but the decisive one only went on the last lap. I'd like to ride it this year but can't make it down. I see the course has changed but hopefully the epic spread put out afterwards will remain the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Anyone got a link to the new course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

Think it's on there website. Not that technically advanced to post it up. Wexford wheelers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

daragh_ wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the new course?

Did this up based on the information that we got. Think it is more or less correct.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2222902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

New route from the website:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7493994

• Advertisement

hmm. Confused by both of those. But I'm sure we will be enlightened on the day.

See yiz there. Unless it's raining in which case I'm staying in bed. :rolleyes:

hmm. Confused by both of those. But I'm sure we will be enlightened on the day.

See yiz there. Unless it's raining in which case I'm staying in bed. :rolleyes:

Course is 90% the same on both except for the difference on how you actually get onto the course from the start. Laps are 28km and then the last lap on each race is shortened to 20km. The A4 race is 76km and my route is exactly 76km.

Either way it is a hilly motherfcuker and on roads that I was told will sap the energy from your body :D

Course is 90% the same on both except for the difference on how you actually get onto the course from the start. Laps are 28km and then the last lap on each race is shortened to 20km. The A4 race is 76km and my route is exactly 76km.

Either way it is a hilly motherfcuker and on roads that I was told will sap the energy from your body :D

Ok you obviously got more info than what's on the website, you have a different start line. Cheers for clarifying, looks like a great course.
    Slo

I based mine on the following lap information and also questions we asked re the shortened lap. Mightn't be 100% accurate.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7571921

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

hi Lads,

Michael from wexford wheelers here.

now for the enlightenment:

this is the course:

for Frank O Rourke veterans, start and middle are the same

but at the approx. 15 km mark on the above map, instead of continuing to Camaross, u take a left and introduce urself to 2 new hills on the circuit, adding some 130 meters of climbing.

loads of recovery however once you exit taghmon at km 23 on the above map.

road surface is poor in two separate sections, so please be forewarned. each poor section lasts a few hundred meters.

PLease also be careful of the descents in the Taghmon area.

the above circuit is 28 km with 330 meters in climbing versus 22 km and 200 meters in the original 2014 circuit.

A4 will go around the 28 km circuit twice and on the third time around will not make that left for Taghmon, but continue to finish at Camaross, so the final lap is 20 km hence 76 km.

in summary

3 laps for A4 twice into taghmon : 2 x 28 plus 20 = 76 km
    4 laps for A3, three times into taghmon 3 x 28 plus 20 = 104 km
    5 laps for A1/A2 4 times into taghmon 4 x 28 plus 20 = 132 km

as the race no longer passes through camaross on each lap, you can park at camaross and view where the red marker is, in the circuit above.

there is a series of bends as you approach taghmon, which are on a descent, and we advise caution . in the taghmon area you are over 20 km from the finish line, so there is no need to jostle for position here. Also you will be 20km into the race before you hit these new gentle inclines.

any queries let me know.

p.s. online registration, while advertised, will not be in operation.

website now updated:

Direct Link :

http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/about/

• Advertisement

disucsions were on the cycling Ireland road race page on fb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Hi Michael
    One question, one thought. The youth sign on time and route?
    There is a 200m section 0f 11-15%. Yikes! This is the wexford Ardennes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Jaysis, this will be my first open race, a certain boardsie from my club told me it'd be a handy one :eek:

Hi Michael

I could be doing better, with tougher routes.......

Hi Michael

U12 come from barry cross right up to camaross hall

U14 do one 11 km circuit

U16 do two 11km circuits.

michael196 wrote: »
    hi Lads,

Michael from wexford wheelers here.

now for the enlightenment:

this is the course:

for Frank O Rourke veterans, start and middle are the same

but at the approx. 15 km mark on the above map, instead of continuing to Camaross, u take a left and introduce urself to 2 new hills on the circuit, adding some 130 meters of climbing.

loads of recovery however once you exit taghmon at km 23 on the above map.

road surface is poor in two separate sections, so please be forewarned. each poor section lasts a few hundred meters.

PLease also be careful of the descents in the Taghmon area.

the above circuit is 28 km with 330 meters in climbing versus 22 km and 200 meters in the original 2014 circuit.

A4 will go around the 28 km circuit twice and on the third time around will not make that left for Taghmon, but continue to finish at Camaross, so the final lap is 20 km hence 76 km.

in summary

3 laps for A4 twice into taghmon : 2 x 28 plus 20 = 76 km
    4 laps for A3, three times into taghmon 3 x 28 plus 20 = 104 km
    5 laps for A1/A2 4 times into taghmon 4 x 28 plus 20 = 132 km

as the race no longer passes through camaross on each lap, you can park at camaross and view where the red marker is, in the circuit above.

there is a series of bends as you approach taghmon, which are on a descent, and we advise caution . in the taghmon area you are over 20 km from the finish line, so there is no need to jostle for position here. Also you will be 20km into the race before you hit these new gentle inclines.

any queries let me know.

p.s. online registration, while advertised, will not be in operation.

website now updated:

Direct Link :

http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/about/

Hi Michael, long time!
    The first year I get to do this race you decide to make it lumpy - cheers!!

Sorry to be badgering but if I'm not mistaken according the new map, at 15km, you continue straight, then turn a sharp left for Camross and left again for Taghmon, is this correct? Just being curious/anal really cos obviously on race day I'll just be following as best I can and it won't matter where you bring us!!!
    Slo

hi Slo,

yes you have it.

as per the map, camaross is where the green marker is on the map, this is the start of the race,

follow it around, 5 , 10 15 etc.

where E30 is overwritten on the map u are making a left back towards camaross.

then a left again near that 15 marker on the map and you underpass the E30 road.

similarily you underpass the e30 between taghmon and Adamstown.

on the last lap, you do not make that second left to taghmon rather continue straight to camaross. ( not actually marked on the map)

drove it this morning, only took 1 tin to mark the potholes and make a few direction sign, but there are rough sections of maybe 200 meters length, mostly in the taghmon area. The rough sections are poor surface, not potholed.

once the race departs taghmon and the taghmon hills, the road surface is pretty decent.

for those non wexford people, ( including myself) Taghmon is pronounced 'Ta'mon'

michael196 wrote: »
    U12 come from barry cross right up to camaross hall

U14 do one 11 km circuit

U16 do two 11km circuits.

to clarify, the youths route is different again and does not contain any of the hills in the senior races.

this is the frank O rourke youths:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7688673

once for U14, twice for U 16

U 12 will go from the 8 km point back to camaross , approx. 4 km

youth sign from 10 am and depart at 11am. prizes once the seniors depart at midday.

Hopefully the weather will calm down somewhat by tomorrow!!

Many from here heading to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Hopefully the weather will calm down somewhat by tomorrow!!

Many from here heading to it?

I came down today to do the race tomorrow weather is shocking but they tell me down here its supposed to be ok tomorrow well better then now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

I'll be going tomorrow weather permitting. If it's raining the rough section before taghmon hill will be lethal. Should be a good few local clubs turning up. A lot of talk about it being so hilly. It definitely won't suit me (90kg). I reckon a break away on the second lap will do it

Michael, are there showers in Camaross? Cant remember seeing any last time.

unfortunately there are no showers in Camaross.

however there is a local public pool with showers / sauna etc open after the race. Located back in wexford town :

http://wexfordswimmingpool.ie/wexford-swimming-pool-home/

Dropped chain after 7k! I think I may have offended the gods of wexford in a past life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

i brought the young lad for the u12 today.

he was outside the top three placings,but when the prize giving was just finished they announced they had spare medals and any u12 could come up and recieve one..he was on the stage and shaking hands getting his picture taken..it totally made his day.

after that we waited around to watch the remainder of the races...young lad was given the task of ringing the bell for the final lap and then to wave the chequered flag at the finish..again it made his day.

thanks to michael196 and the rest of his gang..a superb run event.

Well run race very tough course but the A4 was run very well safest I've been in thanks to some good policing by the officials manners put on us all

Yes. Thanks to Wexford and all the helpers. Very nicely run race. I pulled up on the 2nd lap in A4 for a number of invalid reasons, but I think the riding was great and the marshalling excellent. The size of the field likely helped, but anytime anyone went over the line they certainly heard about it from the Comms car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Well done to all at Wexford Wheelers, the circuit and racing was hard as per usual! Always an enjoyable venture down to wexford for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dropped chain after 7k! I think I may have offended the gods of wexford in a past life.

Unlucky, heard you calling it.

Really well run today, thanks WW. Think the comms did an excellent job. Safe throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Full results up anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

MichealD wrote: »
    Full results up anywhere?

On WW facebook page .

Frank O’Rourke Memorial Races

Sun, May 3rd: Camaross, Co Wexford

Promoted by Wexford Wheelers

A1-A2-A3 Race

1 Conor Hennebry (Carrick Wheelers)
    2 Michael Ahern (Dungarvan CC)
    3 Martin Mizgajski (Rossbury Racing)
    4 John Brosnan (Kingdom Moda)
    5 Con McDunphy – Lucan CRC)
    6 Liam Cullen (Barrow Wheelers)
    7 John Hodge (Dungarvan CC)
    8 Mark Reilly (FitScience)
    9 Ken Tobin (Bikeworx)
    10 Gary Sheehan (Blackrose Racing)
    Unplaced A3
    1 Shane Foley (Carlow RC)
    2 Jamie Busher Orwell Wheelers)
    3 John Doris (Epic)
    Unplaced A2
    1 Gary Sheehan (Blackrose Racing)
    2 John Horgan (Aquablue)
    3 Brian Cullen (Rossbury Racing)
    Unplaced Junior
    1 Dermot Whyte (Lucan CRC)
    2 Stephen Brien (Lucan CRC)

A4 Race

1 Louis Carnac (Sorrento CC)
    2 Peter Leahy (Upperchurch Drombane)
    3 John Lee (Trim CC)
    4 Eamon Flavin (iBike)
    5 Andy Loughlin (SERC)
    6 Anthony Murphy (Unattached)
    7 Ian Butler (Waterford Racing)
    8 Peter Gibbons (Lucan CRC)
    9 Peter O’Brien (Wexford Wheelers)
    10 Richard Rennicks (Usher IRC)

U16 Race

1 JB Murphy (Murphy Surveys Kilcullen)
    2 Conor McKeown (Cuchulainn CC)
    3 Daniel Browne (Clonmel CC)

U14 Race

1 Ryan Geraghty (Inspiration)
    2 Paraic Doolan (Acorn RC)
    3 Elliott Young (Slaney CC)

U12 Race

1 Conal Duffy (Emyvale CC)
    2 Eoghan Cooke (SERC)
    3 William Doherty (St Tiernan’s CC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

yesterday was my first A4 race and second race ever. was starting to get nervy looking at the weather the day before (im very fond of my bike/ collarbone) but the weather was great for the most part and the racing was very orderly apart from the odd lapse of concentration on the closing lap. was a really positive experience for a first timer. thanks to all involved.

yesterday was my first A4 race and second race ever. was starting to get nervy looking at the weather the day before (im very fond of my bike/ collarbone) but the weather was great for the most part and the racing was very orderly apart from the odd lapse of concentration on the closing lap. was a really positive experience for a first timer. thanks to all involved.

You won't get a better introduction then that safety wise not always like that I'm afraid smaller numbers helped to keep it in order yesterday and the comm was on the ball no harm hard race all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

From my experience, any race Michael is involved in will be very well organised and marshalled.

• Advertisement

Great to see a break working in the A4 race. Having said that how we didn't pull them in is beyond me. We had them back to about 150/200m on the main road on the last lap and then everyone literally seemed to just sit up.

From my experience, any race Michael is involved in will be very well organised and marshalled.

Our Marshal manager is David Maguire, producing a safe race. We were lucky to have much input from the 5 local clubs helping out with drivers, marshalling etc. Slaney, Slipstream, Gorey Barrow, SERC. Thank you to those guys also.

Advertisement