Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to fast dog?

• 29-04-2015 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Ra stayed with a friend at the weekend and, during that time, managed to get into the bag and demolish half a pack of sea jerky (dried fish skin) and a good amount of her food. She understandably had the runs after this. Tuesday morning she turned up her nose at breakfast, which never happens, so I decided that since she's obviously still feeling off colour I'd fast her for 24 hours. She turned up her nose at breakfast again today so I'm starting to get worried as this is a dog who is known to eat any food item she can get in her mouth. She's alert and chipper, but not interested in anything to do with food.

How long would you let this go on before going to the vet?

Obviously after what happened with Tegan I'm very worried about losing Ra too, and I'm concerned that if the vet finds a blockage as it is possible that she ingested some of the plastic bag from the treats, or the plastic box from the food, I'll lose both my girls inside a couple of weeks. She's 15 and I don't know would they operate...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you've been fasting her for more that 24 hours I'd head to the vets. Ours doesn't recommend fasting for 24hours anymore but recommends skipping one meal and then feeding small amounts often to keep the gut nourished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

At age 15 I would not fast her at all & if she seems unwell take her to the vets. Has she still got the runs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Knine, no she doesn't. She hasn't eaten since Monday night though. The fasting is really self imposed; when I put her breakfast down this morning she just looked at it like she had no idea what to do with it. I tried hand feeding her but she ate one piece and took herself off to bed.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make an appointment to take her to the vet's after work. I just can't believe that this is happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Fingers crossed for you both

Thanks folks. I've made an appointment for this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

kylith wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I've made an appointment for this evening.

Let us know how you get on x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor Ra - its the pits having such a worry - better to bring her to the vet, or you wont relax/stop worrying
    DO let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Kylith

XX hope your doggie is ok

Diagnosis is inflammation of the bowel caused by being a total gluttonous pig at the weekend. Vet recommended resting her gut till tomorrow morning, gave her injections of an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller. Prescribed canigest every couple of hours today, GI food in small amounts tomorrow and Friday, a four-day course of Clavaseptin antibiotics, and dioralite to encourage her to drink, and to bring her back on Saturday if there's no improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Just saw this, hope she's feeling better

• Advertisement

Her appetite is back with a vengeance, so I think she's feeling better. She's staring at me as I cook again, and was super excited to go for a walk, where she attempted to eat everything she could.

To keep her hydrated last night I boiled some chicken bones in water and gave put down a bowl of the cooled water. I had to physically remove her from it and when I came down this morning there was wee EVERYWHERE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Delighted to hear she is back to normal

Those sea jerky treats, I was always worried about - my old dog used to LOVE them - I always felt they were a bit too concentrated/intense if you know what I mean. No doubt she has NOT learned her lesson :o

Boiling chicken bones in water to make more attractive to a dog that needs to be kept hydrated sounds like an excellent idea/tip

Well, I was worried that stock from a cube could be a bit salty so I decided to make a little myself. Just keep an eye because it might be a bit too attractive.

She LOVES sea jerky so no doubt that she hasn't learned a thing from her ordeal. I quite like the jerky because she's mostly on fish protein anyway and they're the ideal size to fit in her kong. Generally she'd only get one a day though, not half a pack!

Advertisement