Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good news on the jobs front

Options
  • 29-04-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

"Some more good jobs news for Waterford later this morning" according to Damien Tiernan on Twitter just now.

Should be interesting to see what it is. There have been a few nice announcements lately. Long may they continue!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

fricatus wrote: »
    "Some more good jobs news for Waterford later this morning" according to Damien Tiernan on Twitter just now.

Should be interesting to see what it is. There have been a few nice announcements lately. Long may they continue!

heard B&L hiring again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

crazyman wrote: »
    heard B&L hiring again

125 New jobs announced and a new building which will also create some new temp building jobs:
    https://twitter.com/damienrte/status/593348081476853760

Decent enough news...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

reni10 wrote: »
    125 New jobs announced and a new building which will also create some new temp building jobs:
    https://twitter.com/damienrte/status/593348081476853760

Decent enough news...

Agree its good news, for both those that work there and the indirect labour created from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

good news but all this has a sting in the tale. we have fallen back many years in regards pay and working conditions in this country. im deeply saddened by all this. i feel we re at the bottom of the mountain again. many families struggling out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Is that not taken back on the people that were left go? With lower pay.

• Advertisement

Nope they have taken on about as many people that took the voluntary redundancy. So these jobs would be on top of that.

you do raise a good point though. we ve been codded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

What people you talking about?,anyone that left took voluntary redundancy so wont be taken back on,these are all new jobs and is great news for Waterford and the south-east.

What people you talking about?,anyone that left took voluntary redundancy so wont be taken back on,these are all new jobs and is great news for Waterford and the south-east.

its great news but with a sting

What's the sting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its great news but with a sting

No with a whinge

Stokolan wrote: »
    What's the sting?
    wellboytoo wrote: »
    No with a whinge

watch out, watch out. irelands in a spin, for a race to the bottom. it would be difficult to work beside somebody whos doing the exact same work as you while you get significantly less pay and possible conditions to them. not a nice place to be in life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

watch out, watch out. irelands in a spin, for a race to the bottom. it would be difficult to work beside somebody whos doing the exact same work as you while you get significantly less pay and possible conditions to them. not a nice place to be in life

Maybe but not impossible. It'd surely be better than scratching your arse and drawing the dole though?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

good news but all this has a sting in the tale. we have fallen back many years in regards pay and working conditions in this country. im deeply saddened by all this. i feel we re at the bottom of the mountain again. many families struggling out there

Pessimist...

A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view.

tonc76 wrote: »
    Maybe but not impossible. It'd surely be better than scratching your arse and drawing the dole though?

pretty much everything is possible really but its still not a nice place to be. it can cause conflicts. good point, but its actually immoral to treat people this way. please be aware, companies such as vallent have made enormous amounts of money on the backs of hard working tax payers over the last few years partly by forcing pay reductions.
    Pessimist...

A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view.

try not take your eye off the ball here. i suspect we have not reached the bottom of all this recession yet. many families are facing eviction in the coming months, what will be the outcome of that? the cost of living has dramatically risen in the last few years but take home pay has declined. what will be the outcome of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

Sure loads on the public sector are in this situation, nurses, teachers,admin , those employed pre and post Croke Park. It has also being going on in the private sector such as banking for a long time. Different rates of unemployment / job-seekers allowance based on age. Different pension benefits depending on when you retired and so on. Oh yeah the Equality Commission that fought these issues was disbanded a few years back.

Anyway, back on thread, any announcement of more jobs in Waterford is to be welcome imo.

rayr wrote: »
    Sure loads on the public sector are in this situation, nurses, teachers,admin , those employed pre and post Croke Park. It has also being going on in the private sector such as banking for a long time. Different rates of unemployment / job-seekers allowance based on age. Different pension benefits depending on when you retired and so on. Oh yeah the Equality Commission that fought these issues was disbanded a few years back.

true and it cant keep going on. its also morally wrong. i dont want to be treated like that and i certainly dont want my fellow country people to be either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

true and it cant keep going on. its also morally wrong. i dont want to be treated like that and i certainly dont want my fellow country people to be either
    Or maybe wages got out of control and had to be brought back into line.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

I don't see any mass exodus out of the public sector or other sectors. Maybe people are happier to have a steady job rather than none at all.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Or maybe wages got out of control and had to be brought back into line.

i have a theory on this so here it is. i believe all industries pay and working conditions are intrinsically connected, i.e. if one industry gets a pay cut, its adjacent industries must to take a pay cut. this goes on and on until it basically affects all industries. worked in the private sector for a few years, always felt were were trying to achieve the pay and conditions of the public sector, i.e. the public sector sets the benchmark, i.e. if their pay and conditions are effected, every-bodies is eventually. parts of the public sector got out of control though, probably still is

its still a work in progress but thats it in a nut shell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Afraid we are all missing the view of the wood for the trees here, the jobs being announced here are for 2017, that's two years time! B&L have taken on just over 80 people in the last few months on contract, with no fanfare, good meaningful work.

Yet these jobs being announced today are being done so under a huge scrabble from RTE ahead of a huge fanfare, with pats on the back for the minister and everyone else but not a job to be got for 2 years!

This stinks of PR stunt, you'd think there were elections coming up and that the government wanted to raise its profile or something...

Afraid we are all missing the view of the wood for the trees here, the jobs being announced here are for 2017, that's two years time! B&L have taken on just over 80 people in the last few months on contract, with no fanfare, good meaningful work.

Yet these jobs being announced today are being done so under a huge scrabble from RTE ahead of a huge fanfare, with pats on the back for the minister and everyone else but not a job to be got for 2 years!

This stinks of PR stunt, you'd think there were elections coming up and that the government wanted to raise its profile or something...

at least the jobs are coming though but interesting post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

at least the jobs are coming though but interesting post

Obviously any jobs are to be celebrated, it's just reeks of 'love my party' politics. I think it would prove much more rewarding if there was a free commercial spot of advertising on the local radio stations for any business who gave a job to a new person, it might show us what jobs are actually being created and give some much needed air time to business as advertising.

Something simple like that as a start would be nice instead of some cynical ministerial spin to attempt to make a political party look good.

Obviously any jobs are to be celebrated, it's just reeks of 'love my party' politics. I think it would prove much more rewarding if there was a free commercial spot of advertising on the local radio stations for any business who gave a job to a new person, it might show us what jobs are actually being created and give some much needed air time to business as advertising.

Something simple like that as a start would be nice instead of some cynical ministerial spin to attempt to make a political party look good.

welcome to politics. interesting idea of advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

i have a theory on this so here it is. i believe all industries pay and working conditions are intrinsically connected, i.e. if one industry gets a pay cut, its adjacent industries must to take a pay cut. this goes on and on until it basically affects all industries. worked in the private sector for a few years, always felt were were trying to achieve the pay and conditions of the public sector, i.e. the public sector sets the benchmark, i.e. if their pay and conditions are effected, every-bodies is eventually. parts of the public sector got out of control though, probably still is

its still a work in progress but thats it in a nut shell.

It's been done before.... Remember the USSR? Cuba and China still giving it a rattle of you fancy moving over there.

You've literally described communism without the dictator piece.

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's been done before.... Remember the USSR? Cuba and China still giving it a rattle of you fancy moving over there.

You've literally described communism without the dictator piece.

unfortunately never made it to russia or cuba. believe they are amazing places. closest i came to china is hong kong so not really china. nice spot though. highly recommend it. hahaha dont think id like to live in those places alright but the ideas of 'free' healthcare , education etc do it for me.

you have to ask, does capitalism work? i suspect its not. its an extremely aggressive and disposable system in every manner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

unfortunately never made it to russia or cuba. believe they are amazing places. closest i came to china is hong kong so not really china. nice spot though. highly recommend it. hahaha dont think id like to live in those places alright but the ideas of 'free' healthcare , education etc do it for me.

you have to ask, does capitalism work? i suspect its not. its an extremely aggressive and disposable system in every manner

I didn't comment on which works best, I simply pointed out that the system you seem to crave so much is only a couple of airports away. In the mean time maybe treat 100+ jobs for city as good news.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I didn't comment on which works best, I simply pointed out that the system you seem to crave so much is only a couple of airports away. In the mean time maybe treat 100+ jobs for city as good news.

interesting comment though isnt it? its a good point but im in a different place in life now with little funds.

its more than good news, its great news

just been informed, new recruits pay in b&l will be increased after a year or so to match current workforce. can anybody confirm? good news if it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Originally had 1100 employment – 200 take voluntary redundancy = 900 staff with 20% reduction in wages

150 new jobs = 1050 staff on 80% wages of the original 1100

And Paudie calls this a boost for Waterford, some laugh!

Advertisement