Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Account?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭

Hoping some of you can help me wade through the options. I am looking for the best bank account for saving for our wedding. Criteria as follows:

Will be putting cash in but not on a strict regular basis
    Need a card for withdrawals and making payments to vendors
    Account will possibly be closed Sep 2016 when we get back from honeymoon

I have had a look at a few - PTSB and AIB - but to avoid fees you need to lodge a certain amount every month. Looks like I will need to pay fees but would like to pay the minimum obviously

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

With PTSB, you can:
    (1) Wire 1,500 EUR into the account per month and get free fees OR
    (2) Wire 1,500 EUR in and then straight away out of the account to get free fees OR
    (3) Wire 500 EUR in and out 3 times etc.

The total of all inwards wires needs to equal 1,500 EUR or more. Just do lots of wires till you get to 1,500 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

JTMan wrote: »
    With PTSB, you can:
    (1) Wire 1,500 EUR into the account per month and get free fees OR
    (2) Wire 1,500 EUR in and then straight away out of the account to get free fees OR
    (3) Wire 500 EUR in and out 3 times etc.

The total of all inwards wires needs to equal 1,500 EUR or more. Just do lots of wires till you get to 1,500 EUR.

EBS may also be worth considering. Their MoneyManager account requires 1500 a month or a 500 euro minimum balance: electronic credit/debit transactions are free, 5 free ATM transactions a month and a Debit MasterCard that provides cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

EBS don't have a cheque book, if your looking for one go with PTSB.

Also, PTSB online banking, and their app, is far superior to the EBS online / mobile offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I dont need a check book - card is fine. I won't be putting in 1500 a month. I may one month and nothing the next. My own account is with PTSB.

• Advertisement

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccountCompare.aspx?i=239,414,

- If your not concerned with getting interest and you need a debit card I would go with EBS Money Manager.

Click on the link above and you can compare PTSB and EBS.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If your not concerned with getting interest and you need a debit card I would go with EBS Money Manager.

Huh? Both Permo and EBS offer debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

JTMan wrote: »
    Huh? Both Permo and EBS offer debit cards.

...but EBS do not require 1500 euro a month as they have the 500 euro minimum balance alternative.

Even without keeping 500 euro minimum EBS have no quarterly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TorresDaLegend

Just open an Online Instant Access or a 40 day account if you really want to be strict. It's free, easy to open yourself on Open24. No card or anything so just transfer to current ac when withdrawals are needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement