Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to password protect one of my connections via wifi?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

There are two connections to my internet for some reason

MSVIC
    VIC

MSVIC showing as encrypted and I know the encryption key for that but noticed on my tablet that the VIC is "open" and not secured.

I don't particularly need the connection VIC as I have the MSVIC and it works fine

Can I get rid of VIC connection or preferably encrypt it (it definitely used to be encrypted but doesn't seem to be now)

I have a netgear router

Thanks for help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What is the model number of the router ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ZENER wrote: »
    What is the model number of the router ?

Ken

Hi Ken, its a Netgear Rangemax WPN 824 v2

Are you sure VIC is yours ? What IP address/gateway do you get when you connect to it ?
    If you turn off your WAP - MSVIC - does VIC remain ? If so can you still connect to the 'net through it ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The fact that the connection shows on your tablet under a list doesn't mean it is accessible or even exists. If I look at a connections list on my laptop I can see all the connections I have connected to recently. Because I can see them doesn't mean they are in range of even still exist.

ZENER wrote: »
    Are you sure VIC is yours ? What IP address/gateway do you get when you connect to it ?
    If you turn off your WAP - MSVIC - does VIC remain ? If so can you still connect to the 'net through it ?

Ken

Yes VIC is mine.

Where would I find the IP/Gateway address?

How do I turn off my WAP?
    The fact that the connection shows on your tablet under a list doesn't mean it is accessible or even exists. If I look at a connections list on my laptop I can see all the connections I have connected to recently. Because I can see them doesn't mean they are in range of even still exist.

So how can I get rid of that name on the list?

Thanks for help

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes VIC is mine.

Where would I find the IP/Gateway address?

Click START and type cmd and hit enter.

In the new window type ipconfig and hit enter.

Look for IP address - Subnet Mask - Gateway.

These values will change if the two are different WAPs.

A WAP is a Wireless Access Point or in most cases your Wireless Router provided by your service provider.
    So how can I get rid of that name on the list?

Depends on your Operating System but most will have a delete or Forget Network option somewhere in the WiFi settings.

If your Tablet is Android Based then this App will allow you to see what networks are around you and their details.

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for help, I have windows xp, I'd happily just ger rid of the VIC one if I can?

Ive found those details ip address, subnet mask and gateway - what do I need to do with them?

Advertisement