Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grooming dog ourselves

• 29-04-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hello all, my cocker spaniel is going to stay with my MIL while we are on holidays next week. I tried to book her in for a grooming before we go, but my groomer is booked up. She gets taken for daily walks through fields and forests while she is there and can get a bit whiffy when her hair is long. I thought I might try grooming her myself or at least taking the worst clumps of hair off her. She isn't groomed to cocker standard, my groomer just shaves her hair quite tight as we find it easier to manage that way. I do have an electric shaver, is it just a case of selecting the length and working away? I don't want her to end up like a plucked turkey either!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No you have to be very careful or you could nick the skin. However you can can learn to do it yourself. You would need a very high quality trimmers, a thinning scissors, small curved tipped scissors for paws & other delicate areas. A grooming table or similar with grips is also very handy. Try an area such as back or sides first. It takes practice not to leave trimming track marks. A good thinning scissors can also work wonders for tidying up the coat.

Many groomers just shave dogs tight because it means they can groom many dogs in one day. I'd be checking the groomers qualifications if I was leaving a dog in anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Not something I would guess how to do without having an experienced professional alongside me to show me how it's done, there's a lot of little mistakes you can easily make. You also have to be careful of the blade overheating (a cooling spray is needed) and never go against the grain of the coat unless you want the dog to be completely bald lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement