Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance help

• 29-04-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi all have received our insurance renewal from RSA this morning and the premium has remained at €300 however they have put a loading of 470 onto the policy which brings the cost to a point where I'm questioning keeping it.

We have claimed on the policy as one of the dogs has a skin condition but we have that under control and the other dog had a claim for a growth on her leg that turned out to be a growth but was cut out in time.

I do want to maintain some form of cover in case either of the dogs is involved in an accident but from ringing around this morning this doesn't seem possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

F34 wrote: »
    Hi all have received our insurance renewal from RSA this morning and the premium has remained at €300 however they have put a loading of 470 onto the policy which brings the cost to a point where I'm questioning keeping it.

We have claimed on the policy as one of the dogs has a skin condition but we have that under control and the other dog had a claim for a growth on her leg that turned out to be a growth but was cut out in time.

I do want to maintain some form of cover in case either of the dogs is involved in an accident but from ringing around this morning this doesn't seem possible.

the cost is still at €300 and a loading of €470? do you mean an excess?

Im with Alliance and my excess is €100 for my dog plus 30% of overall costs... as he is over 7.

How many dogs do you have ? what ages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

cocker5 wrote: »
    the cost is still at €300 and a loading of €470? do you mean an excess?

Im with Alliance and my excess is €100 for my dog plus 30% of overall costs... as he is over 7.

How many dogs do you have ? what ages?

Hi thanks for the reply no the premium is €300 plus a loading of €470 so total payable of €770. The excess on the policy is still €65.

I have two Labrador retrievers a golden and chocolate one and they are 3 and 2 years old so still very young.

The chelate one has skin allergies and we have that under control now with a steroid tablet a day.

If I thought the premium would reduce to a more manageable amount next year I'd take the hit for this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

€300 seems really low for 2 dogs though (imo)? I'm paying €230 for my almost 2 year old (no claims) and €420 for the other fella with LOADS of claims - maybe 8-9k at this stage.. so slightly less than what you've been quoted in your renewal. They're both retrievers btw

Insurance policies normally go up every year for anything I've ever insured - car/bike/health insurance for myself etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ahh ok... have to agree with tk123, €770 for two dogs seems ok to be honest.

My policy is around €350 per year for my guy, and the excess is €100 plus the 30%....

to be honest €770 for 2 with the excess of €65 is ok

IMO - def worth keeping although its seems like a lot but a claim could be substancially more!

Maybe go DD would take the heat out of it, i pay mine by DD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And any change in policy means you'll not be allowed to claim anything skin related or leg related in the second case... I'd take the hit to be honest.

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    IMO - def worth keeping although its seems like a lot but a claim could be substancially more!
    D

+1 - Bailey boys jaw operation was €2500 :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 - Bailey boys jaw operation was €2500 :eek::eek::eek:

Tk are both dogs not on the same policy?
    We had 3 labs on a policy with Allianz and it was around €70 per month. Our eldest has since passed and now it is €42 per month for a 6 and 7 year old. Our eldest had a good €10k worth in claims in her last few years. Our youngest has had maybe €6k worth and the Middle one has had max €400 in claims in her life.

Millem wrote: »
    Tk are both dogs not on the same policy?

No I just set up a new policy when we got Lucy - I didn't know I could have them both one the same one(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Thanks a million for the advice every one. I guess the smart thing to do is take the hit and pray it decreases next year.

Advertisement