Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Modem wont allow wireless with CCTV & alarm Ethernet routers connected ?

Options
  • 29-04-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I recently had CCTV and a replacement alarm system installed at my property.

Both are set up via wireless 500mbps TP Link routers which are connected into the modem directly via separate Ethernet cables. The modem is located beside the television in the front room.

I had not actually had both in operation as yet as once we connected the two Ethernet cables into the back of the modem, we were unable to download the relevant program on the PC / iPad as the wireless went down.

Initially thinking it was a UPC issue, I contacted them and they sent out a new modem as it appeared that that this may have been the issue, however upon further investigation, it appears that this is not the case that the modem is faulty.

**The TP Link router instructions suggest that they should be plugged directly into the mains socket and not into any adapter, I do not have the facilities to carry this out at present, may this have a bearing factor ?

Is there something I need to change with the modem, ie. start changing around with subnet masks and MAC numbers ?

Surely the UPC modem can handle two Ethernet cables in the back of it and allow the wireless to function as normal or do I need to do or get something else ? Perhaps a better modem ? It's a brand new UPC technicolour one.

All assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Time for some basic troubleshooting? Assuming you have a double socket at the TV, unplug everything and then plug the UPC router into one socket and one homeplug into the other socket. Then connect an ethernet cable from the router (disconnect all other lan ports) to the homeplug. Now go to another room and plug in the second homeplug. Connect a laptop/computer via ethernet cable to this second homeplug. Ensure you have DHCP enabled and verify you can connect to the internet. This will isolate any potential homeplug problems.

You 'should' not use homeplugs on extension cables, however this will sometimes work just fine.

You should also test all your cables to ensure you don't have a faulty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Anto.

Hi,

I managed to try pretty much all of that but to no avail.

The final piece of testing last night was plugging two laptops directly into the modem (instead of the alarm and CCTV routers) via Ethernet cables and the WIFI works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

What upc router model is it?

slinky2000 wrote: »
    What upc router model is it?

It's the latest Technicolour one (Cannot confirm the exact model as I am not near it, but will be later on)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Anto. wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently had CCTV and a replacement alarm system installed at my property.

Both are set up via wireless 500mbps TP Link routers which are connected into the modem directly via separate Ethernet cables. The modem is located beside the television in the front room.

Just to double check, you mean 500Mbps TP-Link homeplugs, right?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Just to double check, you mean 500Mbps TP-Link homeplugs, right?

Yes, I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Anto. wrote: »
    It's the latest Technicolour one (Cannot confirm the exact model as I am not near it, but will be later on)

I've had many problems with the Technicolour router and connecting to work vpns etc and I know there are other issues with it around the ipv6 upc use.

I pm'd the upc reps on here and got them to disable ipv6 and revert back to ipv4 and all my problems disappeared.

I'm not sure if this si your problem but It's worth a shot, you won't notice any loss of service or anything.

Cheers - I'v just dropped them a PM and will let you know how I get on!

Advertisement