Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Tito

Options
  • 29-04-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

What materials are essential (wire and thread size and colour) and materials for tying dodder flies. I have tied saltwater flies before but never river flies- so basically I want to know what materials you'd recommend for tying fodder flies.

Looking to keep it under 30 quid for now.

Have UTC 70 brown thread.
    And some thin copper wire.
    And some small flat gold ribbing.

Need to know what else you'd need??

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Title should be fly tying material- ugh predictive text :)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Here is a few of my most used materials for flies for the Dodder.
    Nymphs: Pheasant tail, gold beads for weight, copper or gold wire, some seals fur dubbing which can be used for all sorts of flies.
    Dry Flies: A good quality hackle for dry flies these can cost a bit but you might pick something up for cheap if you're lucky. Some Elk or Deer hair for sedge patterns which work really well during the summer.
    Wets: I don't fish wet flies too often but if you want to tie some spider patterns you could get some silk thread (not essential I don't think) and some partridge feathers.

Some other coloured threads might be handy but brown is a good one to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Get a cock pheasant centre tail, hares mask, partridge feathers and some deer hair. If you can stretch it, get good genetic hackles for dry flies.
    With these you can tie Pheasant Tail nymphs, hares ear nymphs, softt hackle variations of the pheasant tail and hares ear nymphs, caddis flies and a generic Adams type dry fly.

Advertisement